Thinking of UHDTV

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by tsunami231, Dec 7, 2015.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    samsung
    UN40JU7100

vs

sony
    XBR 43X830C

SONY has the better image processing chip. ( same cant really compete in the department imo) Both look to support 3860x2160@ 60hz, but the SAMSUNG supports 4:4:4 the SONY support only 4:2:0 @ 3860x2160@60hz over hdmi 2.0

And I would be hooking it up to PC cause I do play my game on my PC on my HDTV atlest the ones that support Controlers.

Sad the NO HDTV supports a display port or atleast DVI anymore cause my gpu only support 4k threw DP. not that my gpu could actual feed those resolutions in game and keep 60fps., question more of IF i was to get a UHDTV and I was to use for PC, it is best to have 4:4:4 support at 3860x2160@60hz

Both TV claim to have 120hz panel but niether seem to support 120hz at even 1080p, so i think it not really a 120hz panal just the "false" 120hz TV use.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Check out Vizio for a lower cost but still excellent picture quality. They don't support 4:4:4 though.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Only GTX970 and 980 can display 4K@60fps via HDMI imo. A 660GTX will only display 30fps.

4. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    How far away from the TV will you sit?

If you're not in the optimum range, a 4:2:0 TV might not be that bad even for PC gaming... for PC graphics work, it might cause issues.

For a 40 to 43 inch UHDTV, I hope you're sitting no more than 3 or 4 feet away from it.

If you are, get a bigger 1080p TV.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    about 6 feet, and why would i want to get small 1080p screen i already have one. i dont use my hdtv to surf the web or anything mundane, use to play my pc games on bigscreen.

and a 660 only does 4K@30 on hdmi, which i am aware of, not like a 660gtx could feed 4k either, it will be replace after pascal get released

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'll be following this thread. I've been thinking about a new TV also since mine has a lot of light bleed that I'm getting somewhat sick of.

Everyone is getting these UHDTVs but I wonder, how is the upscaling from 576p/1080p to 4K? There wont be any 4K broadcasts for years and UHD BluRay is hardly mainstream.

And TS, what is this 4:4:4 thingy you are discussing?

7. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
  8. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    Hey guys, I currently game using my PC on a big screen TV and can offer some of my experience. I started with 42" TV but quickly moved to a 55", I found 42 was just too small if you're sitting on a couch normal viewing distance away.

Chroma subsampling is pretty important unless you're exclusively doing gaming - but it still affects fonts in game like on your HUD etc. I think what hasn't been mentioned is input lag - check it for each TV as some have horrendous lag even in game mode. If you can get a TV under 20ms then you're looking pretty good. This is particularly important for fast paced twitch games, but you'll be surprised how it matters for other genres where there is combat involved.

There were some previous gen Panasonics that had display port, can't remember the model numbers though sorry.

Don't look at the Hz rate of the TV it doesn't translate into the refresh rate when used as a monitor.

9. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    I own this samsung

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55JU6700FXZA

It's the 55" curved 4k and the only difference I have found between the 6700 and 7100 is the 3d capability which is bull**** imo.

I was also looking at the Sony but the image chip they use is really no better imo.

The 4k is only output at 30Hz I can confirm this, but I have played stuff through my computer on the TV and it's fine, unfortunatly my video card doesn't like to put out alot of FPS in 4k resolution, but even if I back it down to 1920x1080 it looks really good too.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I know this is an old thread but I thought I would inform you the Sony is an IPS display. (This is not good for a TV) Great viewing angle but at the cost of contrast. They tend to have exasperated IPS glow.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i never likes ips on monitors do to response times, but i could swore at this point almost all hdtv use ips panel or varient of it. cause view angles on hdtv is really good in comparison to tn view angles

My current hdtv which like 5 years+ at this point has far Superior viewing angles then my monitor which 2 years old an i assuming it cause hdtv is ips panel. cause all the tn panels i seen are bad view angels

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Actually a lot of panels are VA on UHD. Check out rtings.com I used that site when picking out my current two TV's 40" Vizio E-series and my Sony 65" X850C.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Unless you get a really good deal on those two models, I would wait. They are both 2015 models (at least the Samsung one is), the 2016 models may be much better. Remember that UHDTV is quite new, so there will likely be quantifiable benefits in the 2016 range verses the 2015 range. The 2016 range should be out in a couple of months.

Yes, many people argue if you wait there will always be something better around the corner. but if you wait for 2 months or so for the 2016 versions it's not really that long. The next 'around the corner' would be the 2017 models 12 months after the availability of the 2016 models. When the model range is pretty predictable like this the argument becomes invalid. Also, if it were 3 months between models the argument would hold some water, you'd simply wait for the next cycle and buy immediately, however with a product lifecycle of 12 months again, waiting for the next cycle when it is so close makes sense.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im in no rush atm, it just thought, like replacing my A/V unit and 5.1 speaker. that i barely use

15. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Any new news on this front?

My current TV (Sony 1080p 55") is showing signs of impending death, so its time to consider its possible replacement.

16. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti XE
    I have a Samsung UN48JS9000 mounted to the wall as my monitor. Love it, no going back to a small monitor.

Over at [H], there are a lot of us that use this HDTV as a monitor.

I use a HDMI 2.0 compliant cable to the TV and a DP to HDMI adapter to the receiver for sound.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this is on the back burner atm but i currentl looking at http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40KU6300FXZA 40"

I Cant fit anything bigger where my tv is mounted and I not moving the mount.

I thought about Using a HDTV as my monitor but, 1080p much better on my 24" monitor vs my 32" 1080p HDTV. and even if It was 4k TV my gpu wont handle those res well for anything but really old games and basic stuff like web/videos.

18. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Go for Vizio 2016 p or m series, except the p55inch and m60inch one. Both are ips panel not VA. Both series. support HDR. And 100+ area of local dimming. And u get a 6inch Vizio remote-tablet for free.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    40in largest i can get away with 43in if i dont mind my closet on left will be block by 4 inchs and door on my right will get block or the tv partial if it open.

Much rather have 37" but they dont really make them.

20. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Its kind of hard to justify the price premium for OLED just now, and 4k seems almost required for a new set.

If I were to buy a 4k set today for living room use (not as a computer monitor, at least most of the time) what should I look for?

Budget isnt exactly set, but crossing a $2k boundary would require wife-aggro.

We currently have a 55" set, so something in that range more-rather-than-less.