Z97 Pro3 & G3258 OC nightmare

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Twiddles, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I've hit a brick wall to be honest. I set the voltage to 1.225v for the core and 1.185 for the "cache" as ASRock calls it. All other power saving nonsense is turned off and other limiters too. Now that SHOULD at least let me boot 3.8 you'd think, well not for me.

What am I missing here?

2. Disintegrate

Disintegrate Member

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    Since it's Pentium - no hyper threading and turbo boost.
    You,ve added voltage, did you increase the multiplier? Dumb question, but you haven't mentioned that.

3. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    No **** Sherlock :p
    And yes, of course I upped the multi, there's no other way to overclock...

4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070

5. Disintegrate

Disintegrate Member

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    Technically, there are two ways to OC - BCLK and multiplier. Apologies, if I bothered you with my question :)

Yeah, turbo boost is unsupported by the CPU. The BIOS update might be the key :)

6. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I had something like that. I had the ASRock H81M-ITX before but that board wasn't good enough. So I bought the Z97 Pro3 for fun hoping that it would allow me to OC more. Didn't want to go all out because this is just for fun.

So yesterday I got it to 4300MHz, BIOS told me so and so did A-tuner (ASRock tool). But the score in AIDA64 didn't increase and none of the tools like CPU-Z showed the OC. So I put it back to stock clocks, BEHOLD! Exactly the same score in AIDA64 meaning it didn't OC at all. After flashing an older BIOS I got stuck at 3600MHz maximum. Increasing Vcore, VRIN, "cache" voltage (ring) didn't do jack ****. 3,7 boots and 3,8 crashes when loading Windows with a WHEA error. Most of the time that means not enough Vcore or other voltage, but those should be high enough at 1,3v ;)

Complete specs of the rig:

ASRock Z97-Pro3 and the 2.10 BIOS (tried 1.70 too)
    2x4GB 1600 9-9-9-24 CR1 1,35v
    4x 256GB Crucial BX100 RAID 5
    G3258 @ poop
    Tranquillo rev 2.0 with a Noctua fan (120mm)
    Intel PT1000 LAN
    Creative X-FI Titanium PCIe
    GTX 960 (MSI)
    500W EVGA PSU

@Disintegrate
    Sorry if I sounded a little irritated. Yes technically you can but you know as well as me that OC'ing via BCLK is not done.

Thanks in advance :)

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    What is the best board for that Cpu in your opinion? Friday I am going to pick one up to run some tests against my Fx 6300 and A10 7870K.I dont wanna go all-out obviously,lets say $150 max?

8. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    You'll want something Z97, take a look at this (before people say "other chipsets can overclock too", just stop. There are way too many issues with that now to even bother). Or the more expensive one which might provide a better upgrade platform for an i7 or something like that. Budget one should at least be something H97 as it provides a lot more functionality compared to the other chipsets, well worth the extra 10-15 euro IMHO.

OT: Screw this, I turned this baby into a tiny low power Mac :D The i5 in the screenshot is because I "spoofed" the CPUID, otherwise I couldn't install it. Runs like a charm now!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Have the same mobo myself, overclocking with an i5 at least works fine.

Just a thought, but did you keep the Cache multiplier at default? It will not give any perf gains and will cause issues if raised.

Plus there are a bunch of other settings that should be tweaked while overclocking, not just voltages.
    I can tell you which if you're still willing to try ;)

EDIT: one more thing, you said you also increased the VRIN (CPU Input voltage), but did you bear in mind that VRIN needs to be at least 0.4V higher than core voltage?

Setting both core and input voltages to the same value won't work, no matter how high. Based on your post you may have set them both to 1.3 V.

"Increasing Vcore, VRIN, "cache" voltage (ring) didn't do jack ****. 3,7 boots and 3,8 crashes when loading Windows with a WHEA error.
    Most of the time that means not enough Vcore or other voltage, but those should be high enough at 1,3v"

If you set core to 1.3 V, VRIN needs to be at least 1.7 V. Plus the board uses something like 1.75V by default, so do not set VRIN to anything lower than that.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015