2 Different SSD's. Which SSD should be the primary drive?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Turbohow, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Turbohow

Turbohow Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 - Twin Frozr
    Hello all, I'm not a pro at this, so I'm asking for some recommendations. My son's PC is also for his games and when I rebuilt his PC I bought the Samsung SM951 AHCI for the M.2 slot as his primary drive. Well it didn't take too long to fill up the 256 GB capacity, so I bought a 500 GB Samsung EVO 2.5" hard drive. The specs show that the M.2 256 GB is much faster so I was thinking that I might just add the EVO as a general storage hard drive for him to place his games there, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks,
    Howard

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Definitively the m.2

3. Disintegrate

Disintegrate Member

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    I agree, however depending on the use and the desired performance gains, it might be the other way around.
    I will be getting the 512GB 950 Pro M.2 Samsung SSD to put my VMs and databases on it, while I run the OS on the still insanely fast 850 EVO.

For the question asked - definetly the M.2 should be the main drive. Still, I would throw few games on it :)

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Fastest SSD always as a main drive while keep others for storage/games.

5. Turbohow

Turbohow Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 - Twin Frozr
    Sounds good guys, thanks for the replies. I'll keep the M.2 for the operating system - that should make things easier anyway as now I'll just add the EVO as a storage drive and no cloning necessary.