building, buying a new computer-paradigm shift

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by anticupidon, Nov 29, 2015.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello,gurus!
    Maybe some will not agree to this but not all computers are built for gaming only...
    Intel NUC, embeded systems,SOCs and all this small ,more and more powerfull tech coming each day makes you think about where we are heading to.
    Does the big computer tower is still relevant?Or it is living on borrowed time?
    on my particular case,i game a little ,most of my computing is browsing, managing VMs and from time to time some gaming.
    I could get by with an Intel NUC....and having a NAS to serve my storage needs.
    This is where i started questioning the necesity of building a computer tower...
    Have your say and keep it civil .
    Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Every computer should be built to fulfill its purpose.

48 core web servers, are not built to run minecraft client.
    iPhone is not built to run MySQL server.

We built computers for ourselves instead of buying, so we can better satisfy our needs from computer.
    Gamers wants better graphics and more FPS, that why they go with full tower to be able to hold those huge GPUs.
    Office workers doesn't need strong GPU so ...

just ... just pass me whatever you smoke...

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Not everyone builds based on their real world computer needs either, some do it just because they love big overkill builds.

Personally my next build is going to be mATX in a Parvum case. It'll also be single GPU. All this means is a much smaller footprint because well that's what I want now.

Wasn't too long ago I wanted an Phanteks Ethoo Primo and two Quad rads and three GPUs in there! Just wasn't affordable to me, and space is an issue in my houses 3rd bedroom where my Computer gear is homed lol

I think Intel NUC etc have there place for sure, offices, homes etc If the user isn't rendering, 3d modelling, transcoding, encoding, multiple VMs or heavy multi tasking then sure those systems are more than enough. I'll probably get my dad a NUC/Brix when he's had enough of his Sandybridge build I did for him like 4 years ago.

Think the general jist is we have options and the new option is you don't need a big tower taking up a corner of a room in your house anymore if you don't want it. Unless your a tech enthusiast (which we all are) this option is probably going to be the most palette able.

Just my two cents

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm afraid I don't get this thread's purpose.