AMD Crimson and MSI afterburner

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by rogue221979, Nov 28, 2015.

1. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    AMD Crimson Check your fan settings!

Hey guys,

After installing the new Crimson drivers, I notice every time I restart my fan profile in MSI afterburner is always set back to manual control. I caught this when I saw my GPU temps climb above 90c and I saw my fan usage percent stay at 41 percent, where normal I have it ramp up to 100% when the temp reaches 70c.

Anyone else experiencing this? I know to catch it now when I boot up but if but I game with my youngsters at times and else runs my PC they may not notice this and go to fire up a game not realizing my GPUs are on the hot side. I suppose I can force 100 percent for now to be safe than sorry.

A minor issue but one that can be catastrophic to the unsuspecting user.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    People are reporting all kinda weirdness with Crimson and AB lately but for instance works fine for me (only reports some things wrong).

4.2.0 version is coming next week, it will probably deal with some of those issues.

3. idboms

idboms Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280x WF3 rev2
    Happened to me while I was overclocking the GPU with MSI afterburner and testing the OC with unigine heaven 4.0 when suddenly the temperature counter exceeded 81ºC. Normally the card won't go above 63ºC, so that was a surprise.

Checking up MSI afterburner showed my custom fan profile was on but the auto fan option was unchecked for no specific reason. Only happens with the crimson driver, people are also posting about the same issuse on r/amd in reddit.

4. Wolfehunter

Wolfehunter Guest

First time I installed Crimson it turned off my Afterburn fan profiles. I didn't realize it till I got the black screen of death when idling in the menu screen for Rebel Galaxy. I then rebooted and check my Afterburner settings, applied the user profile and saved it again. Also saw that in settings "Start with Windows" was check off. I turned it on again. Seems to have worked after that. But I don't overclock so I can't say anything for that.

5. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    I think I figured it out. I just noticed on the MSI afterburner panel Where it says "apply overclocking settings at startup" was not activated.

I use the cyborg template so its just a button that says "startup".

Seems after I installed the crimson driver it was changed. I'm going to restart a few times to see if it stays on.

6. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Bingo, I had the same issue I didn't even notice that. That option effects fan profiles as well.

Should have saw my jaw drop when I saw 93c and climbing. Good thing I have my OSD monitor on because it was off for awhile.

EDIT:
    Just want to confirm I powered off a few times to make sure "start with windows" stayed on and it did. So far so good. Never had a driver mess with afterburner so it was a first for me.

Keep an eye on that setting if you reinstall any drivers or if they update the current ones.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It will not deal with any Crimson related issues. 4.2.0 chanes list is available for everyone in AB subforums, there are zero compatibility tweaks for new drivers besides version reporting.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  8. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Personally haven't had any problems with AB and Crimson. Only thing that is wrong, is version reporting, which doesn't really matter what it says :p

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is a similar issue with what I had after enabling Overdrive. I don't use or have Afterburner installed, and yet Overdrive would reset the fan settings to 25% every time. I'm lucky that I have two 120mm fans modded next to my GPU, or things would have gotten really bad.

10. Forky

Forky Guest

My AB detects Crimson as Catalyst 15.8, I also have an issue of abnormally low 3dmark 11 scores despite all my actual games getting better fps, but idk if that's an AB clocks issue.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What about 3dmark 13 scores? I got finally 8k in firestrike with Crimson driver, highest i got ever on this card.

12. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Thanks for the heads up. Everything is working fine with the current version. I just need to watch it if I reinstall crimson or update to a newer version is all.

@Forky, mine also reports 15.8 but if Windows update show install a driver to overwrite it will change again as well.

13. Forky

Forky Guest

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9483496

5371 in firestrike. I don't know if this is normal but it seems somewhat low at first glance given my overclocks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
  14. Ibn

Ibn Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 3GB
    Crimson seems to reset the auto setting, and turn off start with windows in Afterburner. After changing those back it has worked fine for me the past couple days.

15. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    For me fan regulating in MSI works perfectly but 2D 3D profile switching doesn't always switch so my memory stays clocking max.

16. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    This drivers cause that one of my cards goes to 89°C, :eek3::eek3::eek3: today i took the graphics out to see if everything was okey .... the plastic cover has melted a bit on the metal brackets :eek:c:

17. Spectrobozo

Spectrobozo Guest

GPU:
    8600GT
    when for some reason the driver reseted to default settings it used to have the default auto fan speed for me, with crimson it stayed locked at 20% (nothing to do with afterburner)

18. gyigyo

gyigyo Guest

GPU:
    palit gtx 460 768mb
    I tought I have only this problem...plus when I oc in ab and I click reset then restart or shutdown pc then driver is automaticly enabling the last FAN %.

19. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX

LOL, no kidding, I about **** when I saw 90c on mine, I only noticed it because I keep an OSD on while gaming, I had my headphones on so I didn't hear my fans ramp up like I usually do. Not happy about that either. Hopefully it didn't damage my card.

Honestly it really didn't have anything to do with MSI afterburner, if anything it saved my video card. I think the default settings Crimson applies set the fans to 20% manual.

I just peaked in the Crimson thread as well and its a known issue at least.

20. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    And I will not deal with Afterburner issues, thanks for the work though. Heck, I had to roll back to a system restore point and remove Afterburner just to get everything working correctly again. Oh, and that was with the older drivers as well on Windows 10 Pro.