The safest method to flash BIOS

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by skomerko, Nov 27, 2015.

1. skomerko

skomerko Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 4GB
    deleted

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Flashing your BIOS isn't going to do a thing for AA issues. You'd have better luck being more descriptive in what your exact issue(s) are.

3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol what exactly is the problem ??? ......

4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Watching that in fullscreen made my head hurt.

Whatever it is I very much doubt its going to be fixed by a BIOS flash.

5. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    neither RMA nor bios have anything to do with AA. there's simply no way a GPU can be damaged in a way that it would work, but not have functional AA, and bioses have nothing to do with AA, drivers do.

Post losless screenshots of games and scenarios where you are noticing AA not working, as well as drivers and settings used.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    There isn't a problem. I looked at their posting history and this was explained to them already. For some reason they will not accept that nearly every game has some sort of issue with AA. A BIOS is not going to fix that.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

There is a HUGE thread on the forum about how to get around many game AA issues. Use it: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357956

8. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    looking at that thread he linked from nvidia forums. so much misinformation. some guy posted a vid of "shimmering/flickering/pop in" in dark souls 2.

shimmering was of course, transparent textures, like foliage, unaffected by most AA methods. flickering was one shadow under a rock, flickering as he changed viewpoint. literally 99% of games have that in some places in the map. it's a game engine thing.

same with pop in. he saw a barrel pop in and out as he moved closer/further. again, simple engine resource optimization technique.

and all of the above, the poster atributed to nvidia drivers and hardware...

and to think that thread has 94 pages.

and here is the post from the OP that explains he still has much to learn on game engines and AA methods.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4960136&postcount=1

dear OP, please read the thread that Heavyhemi linked for you. You will learn a lot about AA, and have a chance to use one huge advantage nvidia has over AMD, which are AA options in dx 9 titles.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  9. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Wow. That thread at Nvidia is full of morons.

Are they kidding or???

OP there is nothing wrong with your video card. At all....

10. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    go to the shop where u obtain & ask them flash for u.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

To update, select 'utility' from the drop down list and download @bios, and of course install it.

This utility is a Windows based flash program for your video card. It's safe to use, although ideally you want to do it on a fresh boot with no other programs running. The issue you have is working out what bios to download, there seems to be different variants of the card. One uses SKHynix memory, the other one Samsung, but there are also different BIOS versions. F13 bios for SKHynix was released after F51? Who knows, sometimes you have to go from (hypothetical example only) F10 to F13, only then can you upgrade to F51. That may be the case here.

The @Bios program I think will automatically download the bios, from memory, so the easiest thing to do is just run it, let it do its thing, reboot, run it again and see if there is a further version to update.

Some people would recommend flashing by using a DOS based flashing tool, which means hassle with setting it up etc, but this is no more safe than in Windows. The reason for this is it's much easier to flash a non-matching bios, meaning you could accidentally flash a SKHynix (memory brand) bios on a Samsung card or vice versa. It could also mean you don't update using the correct steps if you need to install one before the other.

So, @Bios is the same way as it will have the proper checks in place. Now it won't fix your antialiasing issues, that's just a combination of poor game/game engine optimisation and driver issues, but newer bioses could have other benefits. If there were no change then they wouldn't release a bios update.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2015
  12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Maxwell bios tweaker, it disables your card automatically, though I doubt it would help with aa at all.

13. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What OP is asking, is like saying you want a new car because the roads you drive on have potholes and a new car might magically fix them

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If you go from a car with sports tuned suspension and low profile tyres, to a 4WD with say, 50/50 cycle tyres, then although the potholes are still there, you will hardly notice them!

It's a driver issue. A good driver will be able to dodge the potholes ;).

16. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    The nvidia forums must be taken with a grain of salt , i've spent many hours there reading as a form of entertainment, most of the people that do post there do seem to have very limited knowledge of the hardware that they have .

You will much better off here @ guru3d for your support questions and queries as many of the members here on the forums are very knowledgeable and trustworthy , the years i've been here i've learnt plenty and received good solid advice .

As for your issue i really don't see how a bios update/upgrade will solve your issue unless the manufacturer's have released a update and it's a known fault.