MSI Afterburner 4.2.0 is approaching

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Dear forum visitors,

I'm glad to inform you that we're finishing closed beta-testing of MSI Afterburner 4.2.0 and expect to release it on the next week. Changes list includes:

• Added AMD Fiji graphics processors family support
    • Hardware abstraction layer architecture has been revamped to allow implementation of voltage control via direct access to GPU on-die voltage controllers (e.g. AMD Fiji SMC) in addition to previously supported external voltage controllers connected to GPU via I2C bus. Please take a note that direct access to AMD SMC from multiple simultaneously running hardware monitoring applications can be unsafe and result in collisions, so similar to I2C access synchronization we introduce global namespace synchronization mutex “Access_ATI_SMC” as SMC access synchronization standard. Other developers are strongly suggested to use it during accessing AMD GPU SMC in order to provide collision free hardware monitoring
    • Added core voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON R9 Fury / Nano series cards with on-die SMC voltage controller
    • Added unofficial overclocking support for PowerPlay7 capable graphics cards (AMD Tonga and newer graphics processors family). Please take a note that unofficial overclocking mode with completely disabled PowerPlay is currently not supported for PowerPlay7 capable hardware
    • Added version detection for AMD Radeon Software Crimson edition. Please take a note that new AMD Radeon Software versioning scheme is not backward compatible so now Catalyst version can be reported improperly if you reinstall older versions of Catalyst drivers on top of AMD Radeon Software Crimson edition without cleaning the registry up. Until the issue is addressed inside AMD Radeon Software Crimson edition installer, MSI Afterburner is providing compatibility switch “LegacyDriverDetection” in the configuration file allowing you to use legacy driver version detection mechanism if you’re rolling back to legacy Catalyst drivers after AMD Radeon Software Crimson edition drivers
    • GPU usage monitoring filtering algorithms, aimed to filter GPU usage monitoring artifacts in AMD ADL API on AMD Sea Islands GPU family are now disabled by default. Filtering algorithms can still be enabled by power users via configuration file if necessary
    • Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI GTX980Ti Lightning series graphics cards with IR3595A+IR3567B voltage regulators
    • Added memory and VRM temperature monitoring for custom design MSI GTX980Ti Lightning series graphics cards with NCT7511Y thermal sensors
    • Now SDK includes detailed documentation for third party hardware database format, allowing experienced users to add voltage control support for custom design non-MSI graphics cards
    • Temperature monitoring for AMD Family 10h – 16h micro architecture CPUs is no longer experimental. Now thermal monitoring on such CPUs is unlocked by default
    • Slightly altered VRAM usage monitoring implementation for AMD and Intel graphics cards. Now total resident bytes are being displayed as VRAM usage instead of total committed bytes, and allocated blocks are no longer being rounded to 1MB boundary per block when calculating a total value
    • Improved skin engine. Added support for altered USF skins obfuscation scheme used in most recent versions of third party overclocking tools
    • Added Brazilian Portuguese localization
    • RivaTuner Statistics Server has been upgraded to v6.4.1

RTSS v6.4.1 changes list includes the following:

• Starting desktop recording sessions with “Use dedicated encoder server” option enabled no longer results in blocking subsequent in-game recording sessions until restarting the application
    • Fixed inverted state of “Low-level encoding” option in NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder plugin
    • Improved AMD AMF VCE H.264 encoder plugin:
    o Unlocked encoding in > 1080p resolutions for VCE 3.0 capable graphics cards (AMD Tonga and Fiji GPUs)
    o Added option for selecting host, Direct3D9 or Direct3D11 memory type for encoder. It is recommended to leave default Direct3D9 memory type for everyday usage and select the rest types for performance testing or troubleshooting scenarios only
    • Added Brazilian Portuguese localization
    • Updated profiles list

Stay tuned!

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  3. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Pretty pumped for this, thanks Unwinder.

4. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Great news for Fiji cards owners and I really like a new Crimson compatibility

Thx Unwinder

5. Unwinder

There is no any special compatibility tweaks for Crimson, so those who have stability issues with new AMD beta drivers shouldn't expect any improvements from AB side and should wait for more mature drivers instead. Crimson version detection is the only cosmetic change related to new drivers and it doesn't affect anything but displayed value.

6. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Roughly a a bajillion people use afterburner and only a couple can come in and say thanks? People disappoint me. Afterburner is my go to install, and when it doesn't work right (because of something not related to afterburner) I eagerly wait for a new version so I can quit using some other product that is not nearly as good. So let me say thank you again.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thank you for your time, Unwinder.

8. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Afterburner, it really kicks the Llam...no wait, that's WinAmp.

Cool app tho, I use it all the time :)

Huge thanks from me!

9. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Thanks Alex for the great app.

10. fat4l

fat4l Guest

GPU:
    Asus Ares 3 8GB
    Nice. Looking forward to it :)

11. Unwinder

A few commants related to some new features of 4.2.0:

- Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI GTX980Ti Lightning series graphics cards with IR3595A+IR3567B voltage regulators

We added new voltage controller (IR3595A) support to the core, this means that now it is also possible to add voltage control support for new non-MSI custom design graphics cards via our third party hardware database. The following third-party custom design cards use IR3595A so voltage control for such cards and can be added to the database now:

EVGA 980Ti Classified and KPE
    GALAX GeForce GTX 980 Ti HOF

- Improved skin engine. Added support for altered USF skins obfuscation scheme used in most recent versions of third party overclocking tools

This means that the skins created for the most recent update of EPX 16 are also visible to MSI AB now. I'd recommend trying Fallout 4 theme skin by Chris "Drerex" Drerup (in case you didn't know, he is creator of all MSI AB v4 skins and a lot of cool skins for legacy EPX v4.2.1):

https://www.facebook.com/chrisdrerup/posts/10206209655853864

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  12. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Wonderful. Looking forward to using 4.2.0. :)

13. basco

basco Guest

GPU:
    560tfII
    thanks very much for your time+work unwinder!

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Great work Unwinder, thanks for the effort.

15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Keep up the good work Alex :)

16. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    Unwinder

Great news! Thank you for all the hard work you do.

Whats going to be the maximum voltage bump available for Fiji GPU?+75mV? I'm asking this coz, for instance, my sapphire tri-x can reach 1150 core clock (after that it gets negative performance gain regardless of voltage\power limit setting) only at +108mV (VRM temps are in check,GPU temp is around 51-53C under load, stable).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  17. Unwinder

Safe voltage offset limit for reference design cards is defined as +100 mV by MSI. The same applies to Fiji, maximum available offset will be set to +100 (actual value +96, considering that hardware adjustment step is 6mV).

18. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    I see. Well, unfortunately +100 won't cut it for my card. It needs +108.The difference is negligible but it makes my GPU stable. Will it be possible to edit these settings manually somehow via config files\ini? If this info is not supposed to be available on public forums, please, PM me. :)

Cheers

19. Unwinder

It is technically possible to hack safety voltage limit in MSI AB relatively easy and you can find multiple hack tools aimed for increasing the limits in MSI AB online. However, we don't support such applications here so if you find such tool - use it on your own risk.

20. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    The VRAM usage is still 32-bit in AMD implementation?