Pirate Told to Get 200K YouTube Hits or Face Huge Fine

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Extraordinary, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Pirate Told to Get 200K YouTube Hits or Face Huge Fine

[​IMG]

A software pirate is facing the most unusual punishment ever seen in a copyright infringement action. The man lost a case brought by an anti-piracy group but couldn't pay damages, so instead agreed to star in PSA showcasing his life as a pirate. If that film doesn't get 200K hits on YouTube, he'll be required to pay a large fine.

Source:
    https://torrentfreak.com/busted-pirate-told-to-get-200k-youtube-hits-or-face-huge-fine-151125/

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Actually I think that's quite clever, way to think outside the box and in a way turn the tables on the pirate.
    Though I think it would work better if this wasn't told in public media...

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Very absurd. I wonder if I'd get the same 'punishment' to become a youtube star :3eyes:

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This. Easier for them to go after the little guy even though untold billions go untaxed. **** 'em.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The actual video on youtube is seeing a lot of support from actual pirates, this isn't going to act as a deterrent. Quite the opposite in fact.

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Couldn't pay the fine, so if he doesn't get enough views he'll .. have to pay a large fine..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  7. uberdruid

uberdruid Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 7900
    Well it's over 200,000 views now ... with one from me even though I have nfi what he is saying considering I don't speak the language.

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It was at 198k when I last posted, so it's gaining views at a fair rate.

239K as of my posting this.

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    324k right now when I'm posting this

Thanks,Jura

10. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Idiots...

Pirates usually don't give a **** about others getting caught, now these smart-asses have created a scenario where internet slacktivism will actually work as a form of protest.

:bonk:

11. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Love this!!

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, 6M Kc fine is around $250,000. That's what delivering of this message is worth to 200k users?
    Since it is doubled, shouldn't those affected companies pay him back?

13. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    What smartass set this 200K goal, some granny who doesn't know how YT works these days? Some 10 years ago those 200K YT hits would be something, but today anyone can get that number of YT hits in a matter of hours even for less reasons.

Wouldn't be surprised if at the end because of all this charade that dude becomes a famous YT-er with his own YT channel, subscribers... and even start making money from YT videos propagating story of his life. Now that would be funny...

edit.
    With this viewing rate by the end of the week he would get almost 1M YT views.... 200K lol, if that "someone stupid" on the side of law who set YT goal that low did choose something like 20M now than would be something. Wouldn't be surprised if that dude from the vid is the one who set that 200K number...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  14. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    The best part of the video are some of the pathetic replies.

15. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    Just off to Kickass now to see what i can download :banana:

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    BSA in their finest

My friend has have few problems in past with BSA,they demanded from my friend and his company 10 Millions,he didn't paid and they sue him and later on they lost it,but still that company(BSA) is just nightmare

But still I'm very surprised they caught him,I would assume he has have some sort of blog,but still so much money they demanded

Thanks,Jura

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah wtf he say?

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Th...that is cartoon villain levels of brilliant.

haha..

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is in Czech, but basically he says that he is normal guy like anyone (including you). That he time to time shared stuff. Saying in total tens of Gigabytes over several years.

And while millions did same thing as he did every day, he was that unlucky guy who's life was to be ruined. He got notice to pay damages which he ignored, then they harassed him in work. Yes, they knew where he lives, but they went to his work place to take him for interrogation.
    Made his life nightmare and wanted to pay for damage which it would take him to pay lifetime.
    (Well in our country, in most cases 2~4 lifetimes since it would take 30 years of average local salary to pay. And you apparently have to eat and have roof over head.)

You know, that's what I call positive motivation. Or am I mistaken and is that motivation through fear?

My personal opinion is:
    - I do not agree with piracy done by people who have high enough income to actually pay for stuff without starving
    - people who can't afford those pirated things would not go and buy them anyway in those high original prices they tend ask from them in courts (they would get those thing years after release in big discount/bundle)

- But now important thing about guilt decision:
    - > If you throw a rock/brick into shop's window and break it
    - > then you leave without taking anything
    - > and few hundred of people you do not even know and are not associated to you in any way take everything of value over night
    = > Should you actually pay all damages (all stolen goods) or should you pay for broken window?
    = Because pirates are practically enablers and may not even consume content themselves
    = And in pirating processes damage payment requested is total sum of potential loss from all those people he somewhat enabled to steal digital content

= = > Funny thing: If he was part of organized network of 1000 people sharing in closed group, and each partially enabled others to pirate stuff and shared same content (as a backup for others or just for act of sharing). Should court require 1 member to pay all damages as usually they do. Or should they take all 1000 and ask them to pay portion of damage?

My guess is, that since they prefer sum damage payment, each of them would have to pay entire sum of damages which group did. Why, because 1st person in group had to, 2nd person would get same sentence, 3rd again... Maybe if they had them there as a group of thousand, someone's brain would get bigger image and delivered rational sentence.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    When will these demented courts/companies learn that every time they try to make an example out of someone for pirating, it will backfire and pirates will just pirate even more or worse. Most people don't even see pirating as a crime and have a bigger beef with these megacorps who have no qualms with ruining lives and dodging billions worth of taxes (which is pretty much all of them).