Downsampling with AMD Crimson: Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fr33jack, Nov 25, 2015.

1. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Hey, forum!

Long story short. With "very Crimson" release AMD has finally implemented support for custom resolutions which supposedly will allow us to create such resolutions, right. So we can create those which are greater than our monitor can support, right? And downsample it to our native resolution. Like Nvidia does for more than 10 years, right? WRONG! Either they not implemented it fully at the moment OR it's a bug (an issue) with current driver version or they simply once again flipping the bird to our faces by limiting functional. Will see.

So, you are reading this totally awesome thread, right...which means that you have faced with this little problem - you can't create higher than your native custom resolution with proper pixel clocks and timings. Radeon Settings software gives you an "Error/ FU" message...

In this Demonstration I will try to explain it & show it on my example how to archive downsampling by fool this "very Crimson" driver. But be warned! I totally would not be surprised if AMD will close this "loop" and artificially put limitation on this in next driver release. Tho lets hope that this "issue" will be resolved and for AMD not being so evil after all. Or even worse: I totally f-up and it's all working good and I was really, really wrong and confused...and I should totally kill myself cause I'm such a looser...

But be warned! They did the exac same thing with custom resolutions, by locked it down on January 2013 with 13.1 release | Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

But first, few words...

WTF is Downsampling? Simple: Concept of rendering the image (game) at a much higher, custom made, resolution than your monitor is capable of displaying and subsequently having the GPU rescale the image to that of your monitor's native resolution. Also called OGSSAA : Ordered Grid Super Sampling Antialiasing.

WTF is DSR/ VSR? Simple: Same f-thing but with auto control and pre-made resolutions. DSR also have fancy "Gaussian filter" which "blurs" or "sharpens" downsapled image. Totally worthless tech (they totally can't fool us, grandpas, with this crap) which eats couple of FPS.

WTF This all same as CRU?! Simple: No. CRU does actual resolutions only.

From ToastyX (CRU creator): CRU adds monitor resolutions, not scaled resolutions. Lower resolutions will be scaled up if GPU scaling is enabled, but higher resolutions won't be scaled down by the GPU. Higher resolutions will only work if the monitor can handle them.

WTF is 2720 x 1530 resolution? Is it 16:9; :10? It's a 16:9 resolution. You can do the math:

1920 / 1.777777777777778 = 1080
    2560 / 1.777777777777778 = 1440
    2720 / 1.777777777777778 = 1530

Also, Note this:

This "Demonstration" not a total 100% manual on every "downsample" problem. I will not some kind of ultra-guru who holds every answers about it. I just the guy who uses those custom resolutions for the long time for himself. For my personal monitor with my current and previous AMD gpu's. I'm just giving you an example on how this works for me and how this was working for me for the past couple of years. So if you have something like 5 monitors and 3 CFX gpu's - Use the Force! And try (others: you too) to understand how this s*t is working by learning this s*t thought my s*ty example...and thought communicating with other guys here.

In this "Demonstration" I will show you an example with native 1080p and how to downsample to that res by creating custom resolutions: 2560 x 1440; 2720 x 1530* And with my current gpu R9 280x.

* - 2720 x 1530 is current limit for me. I can't tell for sure - maybe with HDMI or Display Port or with another monitor I can do higher. OR maybe it's an artificial limit (purposely by AMD) for all R9 280 - R5 200 series gpu's...along with 7000-5000 series and HD series. Test it for yourself and tell me =) I don't have appropriate HW to do all the testing. OFC, you will not have those limitations with monitors which can do very high resolutions by default. I'm talking about downsampling. And also, 300 series and Fury don't have those limitations at all.

So. Ok. Lets get started on foolin this very VERY Crimson driver...

I tried making it with smallest and simplest steps as possible (so it should be very easy):

PART I (in which I explain how to create first custom resolution downsapled to native; you can create up to 8k IF your gpu & monitor can handle it)

NOTE: THIS DEMONSTRATION WAS MADE WITH 1080p AS EXAMPLE. FOR MONITORS WITH 1080p AS NATIVE OR BY SPEC SUPPORTED.

NOTE: PLEASE DON'T USE EXAC SAME NUMBERS FOR YOUR MONITOR IF IT NOT SUPPORTS 1080p. YOU SHOULD REPLACE IT WITH YOUR OWN VALUES FOR YOUR DEFAULT NATIVE RESOLUTION.

1. If you are not sure about either you are or ain't f-up your driver registry by tweaking it; fool around with various settings; or any other inappropriate and shameful behavior: Uninstall the hell out of it; Use DDU @Wagnard have created it specially for you.

2. Change your desktop resolution to which you want to donwsample. Im my case - 1080p

click on image to full size
    [​IMG]

3. Open "Radeon Settings" (former CCC). Open "Display" tab; Additional settings. Change your settings as in the pic example:

[​IMG]

4. Open "Custom Resolutions" tab. Here you have "Base Mode"; "Detailed Timings" at your current desktop default. In my case - they are default for 1080p. Press "NEW"; then "VERIFY"

[​IMG]

5. This should create custom resolution same as your current desktop resolution. Press "SAVE"

[​IMG]

6. Open "System" tab back in "Radeon Settings". Check your 2D Driver path

[​IMG]

7. Open "Registry" and go to your 2D Driver path. Find your "ModeTimingOverrides" within your EDID (your name can be differ; use pic as example)

[​IMG]

8. Export your "EDID" tree...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Open previously saved .reg file. Delete highlighted strings: you will not need them.

[​IMG]

10. Now you must find hex values related to 1920; 1080; 60Hz. Easy: you will need this magic tool. It allows automated decimal to group-reversed-hex convertion.

[​IMG]

Enter field: 1920. Then push "Convert". In Column #1; 2 you will see your reversed grouped hex value. See the picture to get the idea ^^ It's very simple.

Same goes for 1080 and 60. See the pictures. Get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Now we need to change 1920 to 2560(2720); 1080 to 1440(1530) and if you monitor is overcloked - 60Hz to whatever you need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Now you got this (see the picture). Complete reg entry with 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz downsampled to proper 1080p (pixel clocks; timing) You can add just one OR continue to add additional resolutions...

[​IMG]

Run saved .reg file to add custom resolution. RESTART your Windows 95.

THE END OF PART I

in part II:

- 2720 x 1530 @ 60Hz as secondary custom resolution
    - already created .reg entries with 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz | 2720 x 1530 @ 60Hz ; which should work on every gpu </ = R9 280x (for 1080p LCD)
    - Some other useful stuff

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  2. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    PART II (in which I will show you an example of creating the secondary custom resolutions)

1. Now we will add 2720 x 1530 @ 60Hz as secondary. But first, add "comma" after last "00". Then copy selected field minus first 8 x "0" (00,00,00,00) - See the picture. Paste it after last "00,"...

[​IMG]

...you will get this (see the picture)

[​IMG]

...you will need to fix strings aliment and such (see the picture)

[​IMG]

2. Now we have .reg entries for 2 identical resolutions. Both 2560 x 1440. We need to change the one we just added to 2720 x 1530. The same way as we changed our first one 1920 x 1080 (see the pictures)

click on image to full size 2560 to 2720
    [​IMG]

click on image to full size 2560 to 2720
    [​IMG]

click on image to full size 1440 to 1530
    [​IMG]

click on image to full size 1440 to 1530
    [​IMG]

3. Now we've got this (see the picture). Complete reg entry with both 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz | 2720 x 1530 @ 60 downsampled to proper 1080p (pixel clocks; timing) You can add multiple custom resolutions the same way as we add 1530p...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE END (for now)

- Pro tip: Use Notepad++ for editing any text files.

- Created .reg entries (txt file) with 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz | 2720 x 1530 @ 60Hz |
    WARNING! Not complete - for copy / past use only. You need your own exported .reg
    WARNING! Your monitor should have 1080p as supported resolution!

click on image to DOWNLOAD reg entries
    [​IMG]

EASY MODE (with VSR increased limit) :

If you are 280x owner or anything in "bellow" series (R9 270-250; 7000; 6000; etc) then you are stuck atm at 2560 x 1440 on VSR (for 1080p LCD), right? Wrong. Upper limit should be at 2720 x 1530 (according to AMD-VSR data sheet it should be at 3200 x 1800 for 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz LCD's, but WTF AMD?!)

So, lets add 2720 x 1530 via VSR (tested in latest Crimson; wasn't working for me before):

1. Open regedit. Go to your driver path. Find your DALNonStandardModesBCD1. Open it and add after 1920 x 1080 this...

click on image to DOWNLOAD reg entries
    [​IMG]

After WINDOWS 98 restart and VSR switching ON you will have those...

[​IMG]

For 3200 x 1800 limit for 290-290x's: you can try to find your actual working upper limit. Maybe 3360 x 1890 will works for you. Dunno. Don't have one. But higher resolution is better, right? So you should always try to find the way of increasing it...

PS. Guys, a "huge" request:
    to make life easier and more comforting for the rest of us here, please post your screenshots AS "medium thumbnails" with links to original size pictures. Huge *ss pictures f-up page layouts. Horizontal scroll = not cool at all :D

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Thanks for the guide!

Wouldn't it be much easier to use CRU?

4. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @theoneofgod, CRU will not allow to downsample. It creates custom resolutions only.

5. Priyeshbabariya

Priyeshbabariya Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 AMP+
    Thanx Bro..using 1080p Res on my 900p monitor..So Very Good Crimson driver isnt crimson at all :D

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If you add a custom resolution with CRU, say a 1920x1080 native monitor and you add 2560x1440. 2560x1440 will be available in Windows display settings and in game just like with VSR. It's the same.

7. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @theoneofgod, it is not the same like at all. Downsampling/DSR/VSR = higher rendered resolution to your native; target display (or to whatever you wish to downsample); also called - OGSSAA; Ordered Grid Super Sampling Antialiasing.

CRU = can only do actual resolution; actual - key word

How can you know how to wrote a program at basic level as you do but don't know anything about basic tech stuff? Well...learn that s*t...cause it's basic. And you really looking stupid while sayin such things with such confidence. Remember: acting with confidence only works if you are right; if not, it's stupidity ;) Either you and your friends-younglings trolling me purposely? :D

AS for now I will be not answering for obvious and very stupid questions such as "WTF is display resolution is?!"

Last advice - Google.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  8. Priyeshbabariya

Priyeshbabariya Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 AMP+
    How can i use Custom Res in Desktop ...i tried it but it looks like a blury messed up so my question should be how can i apply AA in Desktop? :D

9. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @Priyeshbabariya, This 'demo' was made with 1080p as example. Does your monitor supports 1080p by specification? If not, you will need different values...yours: for your native resolution which your monitor supports.

10. Priyeshbabariya

Priyeshbabariya Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 AMP+
    Hey!
    My Monitor max res supported is 1600x900 @75hz
    by your method i can downsample 1080p res to 900p in games as well as desktop
    but in game to get rid of the blur thing because of downsample i use AA
    but we dont have a option for desktop..so my question is if i use downsample res in desktop i get same blue as in game so any chance to remove it?
    because i want to use downsample res in games as well as desktop :) :infinity:
    & i know the difference between CRU,VSR or Downsample.i already added 3 custom res 1920x1080 @75hz,1920x1200 @75hz & 2048x1536 @75hz by your Part-II method..thanx & Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015

11. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @Priyeshbabariya, upload some shots on some totally liberal img host...

12. Scure

Scure Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870 1GB
    Thanks for this great tutorial. Just tried it and i can finally use downsampling with my old HD6870.

13. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Np,@scure.

14. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  15. rodrigoxm49

rodrigoxm49 Active Member

GPU:
    r9 380 4GB
    Now you're like god to me! I will pray for you every f* night.

Finally I can put 2560x1080 21:9 on my s* 1080 panel on my s* AMD graphic card!

I don't understand why people talking about AA using downsampling. Downsampling is just the best AA method that exist, there's no blurry at all! At least on the 2 monitores that I ever have tested downsampling.

16. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

I followed the part I. I have 1920x1200 external display I only use (display nr 2) and netbook display nr 1 1024 × 768. After reboot when I try to set up screen resolution to 2560x1600 there is an error "Windows could not set your display to this resolution. Try a different resolution". When I change mode to 2560x1600 via advanced graphic card settings -> List all modes, the video signal goes back to laptop everytime.

After adding the reg I just made, restarting driver and adding detailed resolutions 2560x1600 using CRT, I can set it as desktop resolution and play GTA VC in 2560x1600. However if I change desktop resolution to native 1920x1200, I can't change resolution in the game - it will crash.
    edit@:Seems like dx8todx9 converter v0.0018 for GTA Vice City does not like this VSR mod. I need to temporary change desktop resolution to get the same in the game.

This method seems to be lighter on resources than VSR with Omegas 14.12.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
  17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    hahaha...

good read, lots of f-bombs...

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Alright then :)

19. someonelikeyou

someonelikeyou Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5500 XT
    First of all thanks for posting this.

Here's how it went:
    1. Did everything like you but instead of 1920 my monitor is 1280x1024 native
    so I did 1280 x 1.25 = 1600 and 1024 x 1.25 = 1280

after merging the .reg file and rebooting windows would not let me change the resolution to 1600x1280 but I got a notification from the crimson panel telling me that VSR was available now. After enabling VSR now I can change to 1600x1280.

My only complain is that the letters too small and a little blurried but I guess that's to be expected. I would like a fix though, currently using 1440x1080 because it doesn't get blurry.

This brings up two questions:
    - Why can't we do this through the crimson panel if it works? come on AMD
    - Why the **** isn't VSR available by default for CRT displays if it works?

Again, thank you.

Pictures:
    http://i.imgur.com/V9t9i2N.png
    http://i.imgur.com/BEEyvRF.png
    http://i.imgur.com/jPM8Sub.png

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    put your desktop back to native.

use the new res in games, not on the dektop.