HD 6000 And HD 5000 Now Legacy: And Crossfire?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Raziael, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Raziael

Raziael Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD Radeon HD6970
    Hi everyone,
    I have 2xHD6970. I knew that AMD support for this cards would not have been eternal, so now I have a doubt. With my pc I am able to play last games such as The Witcher 3 and AC Syndicate at 45-50 fps, on 1080p, with lots of settings on high.

But now that support is ended, how can I do continue to use crossfire? There will be a way to extract crossfire profiles from new drivers and to import them in mine?

Obviously I know that I can use profiles for other games, But when I tried in past there were lots of problems like flickering and bad performances, so I would prefer to continue to use original profiles made by AMD.

Thanks for the help

2. Sildur

Sildur Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 4GB (1555/7400)
    Maybe some sort of "cocktail drivers" could do the job.

3. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    I guess we will still support these cards with our UnifL drivers.

4. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I saw this coming when the HD2000-HD4000 series got culled in 2012.

You should have all heeded the warnings that you were all next in line.

We are now all legacy HD brothers, and all stand irrelevant now, shoulder to shoulder looking into the abyss...

From the HD6000 down to the HD2000 series, all cards cast aside like turds that dry out and blow away in the wind. A pawn in a game, a means to an end.

Merely just having DX11 hardware wasn't enough to save you from AMD's sharpened axe, and now you wake up on this very new day of yours, to find that the official Radeon crimson redesign edition cannot even load on a HD6990. Just a beta version to say thanks for coming, and goodnight...

A card you paid good money for. Welcome legacy brothers, enjoy your stay.

Its a cold world out here...

The short answer is you can't. It's just about game over for
    new games for here on in. This is the gravity and reality of the situation.

A lot of people can still play games on high in 1080p with their cards. Doesn't stop the ravages of planned obsoleteness, or pulling driver support on cards that can still more than cut the mustard.

The problem often plays out like this :

Some random new games sooner or later will need a driver update because it won't work right in crossfire on AMD cards, and new profiles taken alone will not always suffice. So the problems as time marches on will continue to mount and pile up accordingly as more and newer games get released on a "no longer supported internal crossfire card"

As 4870x2 owners found out when HD2-4K support got dropped in 2012, for cards with internal crossfire such as 4870x2,5970,6990, when the driver support gets pulled, having a twin gpu card as such means you are stuffed for further supported games utilising crossfire to the best ability it can be.

As driver updates for these cards are the LIFE BREATH, to keep crossfire support for new games functional and bug free for multigpu cards.

The lack of driver support for single gpu setups doesn't bite so nearly as hard, compared to multigpu setups.

I had the exact same questions as you back in 2012, and no one gave a hoot about that internal crossfire issue then either.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015

5. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    +100 for the amazing write up. This made me laugh out loud and gave me a nice warm feeling. I think I will have to quote you kevsamiga1974.

AMD has certainly left a lot of switchable users with a lot of issues that have to this day not been resolved. Guess we can only keep campaigning.

[​IMG]

6. Spectrobozo

Spectrobozo Guest

GPU:
    8600GT
    considering the lack of support for their previous legacy cards I would think it's best to replace the cards with something else for newer games, or as you said you can try your luck with forcing another profile... depending where you live you can still get some decent $ selling those cards;

kind of shame that while all games are still all DX11, something which was high end until maybe 3 years ago and fully capable of running DX11 is left like this,

7. Clocknut

Clocknut Guest

GPU:
    Palit 750Ti StormX Dual
    next time dont buy 6970 crossfire and hold out for too many years.

Buy 6970 & replace it with 7970 instead.

8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I got my money's worth and would do it again if CFX keeps me from upgrading over a 4 year span.

I don't have time to keep tweaking my system year after year.

Just set it and forget it = spend more time gaming, watching movies, hanging with friends and family, see the world, enjoy life and do some charity to make it a better place.

At least for us 6xxx guys, we can look forward to 4K since the next card we buy will support that! Good excuse to upgrade the TV/Monitor and GPU while at it. :)

9. Raziael

Raziael Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD Radeon HD6970
    Thanks Bro, this is a perfect analysis. I want to add only one thing: there is a method that We can perform to fight against this injustice: Don't Support AMD in Future. I bought one HD6970 in 2011, when I made my PC, and another one in 2014, to obtain better perfomance. From 2014 to now, only Flickering, profiles published after 2 o 3 months from the original release of the game and problems, problems everywhere. AMD says that with these new drivers the situation will be better, but if I can't try this, perfect, my experience so far isn't good so, when I will change my PC, I will do my considerations. Have an hardware which can perform good until 2017 at least, and see it dropped in this way is terrible...

10. kenzt

kenzt Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 NITRO+ OC
    As a 6990 user, yesterday was indeed a bad day. A really bad one. I was so hyped for the new drivers, and this news stabbed my back as hard as it could be stabbed.
    I knew this day would come. I knew it.
    But I delayed it, and never tought about it, just because my 6990 can still get as many performance in 3DMark 11 as a brand new 380X.
    Knowing that future games, or even games that have low performance in crossfire won't be upgraded makes me feel sorry for having choosed a 6990.
    The 590 at that time would still let me have the card for 1 more year or so, since NVIDIA might not increase the performance for 590 but man, they still support it because you know what ? A guy 5 years ago spent 600$ with them, but AMD doesn't care.
    Yes because we don't ask for improvement in the performance but just for the profiles for games, for us that have crossfire in old cards.
    It's hard to say, because I am an AMD fan, but this might make my mind and choose something else in my next upgrade.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Them not supporting the same generations of cards that NVIDIA is still supporting, is such a bad move. :/

12. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    We are currently evaluating if we can keep on modding new drivers for older cards.

Have you tried the "Beta Crimson" drivers? They should still install for your device.

13. Rivers23

Rivers23 Member

GPU:
    amd 7670m
    I have a 7670M and yes I felt sad when I read about my card going legacy. I mean, I play Fallout 4 on 720p with decent framerates so obviously this card is decent. I hope that leschat and his crew will be able to help us. I don't feel my card is that old, I bought my laptop 3 years ago and my card has performed very well over the years.

14. Sildur

Sildur Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 4GB (1555/7400)
    Nvidia is even working on dx12 support for those old fermi cards, sure most of it will be software wise / emulated. But better than nothing.

Anyways AMD could at least release one final driver that's whql to end this chapter properly...

15. Raziael

Raziael Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD Radeon HD6970
    Yeah, Everyone here has installed Crimson Beta Driver, The problem is when the next driver won't be installed on our PC. PC which is able to run last games in a good way on 1080p

16. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    It is not good that AMD has dropped support.

Now you have situations where users with PXAA switching AMD iGPU + AMD dGPU cards cannot install drivers because one card is now considered a legacy card and the other a "modern" card. For example =

Videocard: 7640G + 8750M

AMDs marketshare is not big these days but the % of mobility devices isn't a small part of that percentage.

It makes no sense disenfranchising these customers.

At the very very least a proper WHQL driver should have been brought out.

As you and several others have mentioned Nvidia still supports cards that are older than what AMD is offering.

Indeed.

17. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    I don't see the fps limiter in the game settings. Any of you also can't see it?

18. TravisLester

TravisLester Guest

GPU:
    DDR3 1600 8GB
    Well I joined Guru3d just for this thread, am using an HD 6850 for now. Stuck with this till I reach decadence :(

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Its only supported on 260-Fury (GCN)

20. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    This is the second time this has happened to me. CrossFire X1950XTXs then CrossFire 5870s. Yes I got some nice long gaming years but I reckon I'm going NVIDIA next. 5870 CrossFire still delivers me solid 60fps in Battlefield 3/4 on open 64 player maps with most of high and some ultra as well as FXAA at 1920x1200.

Though, great humour kevsamiga1974 has!