NVIDIA Ideology

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SPARTAN118, Oct 13, 2015.

?

Do you feel that NVIDIA is making good contributions to PC Gaming as a whole

1. No, but there hardware is good

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Yes but they make good hardware, but harmful software

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  3. No they are 100% harmful

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Yes, they are 100% helpful

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  5. Meh, Nvidia is not helpful or harmful

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    It seems that AMD tends to partner with the more level headed devs. The Deus dev seems to give respect where respect is due. The PC should have more features and earlier launch dates than the consoles. (Microsoft loses money on Xboxs, therefore it seem irrational to push them.) NVIDIA, I honestly don't know what they are trying to do, every Gameworks sponsored game has botched launches or some other serious performance issue. This stems from what I feel is Nvidia's ideology: picture effects first, performance is second, picture color reproduction third. The reason why I say this, is because Nvidia's last technology made to increase FPS was TXAA and FXAA. TXAA being absolutely garbage, and FXAA being meh. Now compare those to what to AMD has implemented: Mantle, Vulkan, Asynchronous Computation (still not working on maxwell), CF improvements with XDMA , and technically half of or a 1/4 of DX12. All of which (except XDMA I think), are open source. It bothers me as an consumer to see Nvidia adopting none of these, to instead implement their own proprietary performance dropping special effects like physX and Hairworks, both of which hurt performance. I honestly wouldn't care if Nvidia just copied and rebadged the software as their own, that would at least show me and others that they care about performance, and the PC gaming industry as a whole. I as a AMD user would like to hear Nvidia users thoughts and opinions on this.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Nvidia`s doing something right with 80+% of the discrete graphics card market.

3. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Market share says enough, as long as it works and provides me with satisfying FPS it's good :)

4. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    Is it market share alone or particular features?

5. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    interesting read I want competition if that means one gpu does something another brand cant 100% happy with that. AMD needs to start competing and winning I have a NVidia card now it is the best option for DX11. my next GPU will depend on what's available may be AMD or I may go NVidia again. I don't care if the other brand cant do something I care about what I cant do and what I want in games that dictates which GPU I buy.

I have no problems with PhysX or Hair works or anything else GPU manufactures add to games I am happy for more as long as I can disable them if the performance penalty is to great.

I don't like poor game ports from consoles and un optimised games that's all down to the game developer not GPU Extras you can disable them but if the games is not Optimised it makes no difference what options you have.

there is far to much complaing about NVidia from AMD users enjoy what you have. you decided not to buy a NVidia GPU so enjoy your AMD GPU if you opted not to have PhysX or Gameworks I don't see the problem.

the poll
    imagine if there was no NVidia no competition slower hardware and game development would be much slower even consoles would be slower so YES NVidia is extremely good for PC gaming

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  6. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    That's marketing

7. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    I would have zero problem with PhysX or Gameworks if most games that had them weren't broken for BOTH parties at launch. ACU, FC4, batman ( ticked me off having to listen ps4 users brag about Batman) ... Just to name a few. Perhaps the way Gameworks is being introduced during the development cycle is wrong. Maybe devs should adopt a Killing Floor 2 model and add PhysX later.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Added features, new forms of aa, nvidia inspector, sli profiles on or near release. Hilbert was able to bench sli 980 in an amd sponsored game and could not test xfire as there was no xfire support. Power consumption, overclocking potential are all very important features for most guru's. When amd was pedaling mantle for gcn only cards, nvidia optimized the hell out of DX11 drivers. As far as performance goes the 980ti is the best option in the $649.99 dollar bracket. I don't get the amd users hating on nvidia tbh.

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Pretty easy to do that when easily 50% of those 80% are pretty ignorant.
    They easily see and read that AMD has performance issues that is because of game works crap.

I have met countless people that are scared to try AMD/radeon because of fanboy dribble.

Nvidia has segmented the market in gpus, games, and pc.
    Physx is a tacked on joke, gameworks runs like crap on even nvidia hardware, and nearly every nvidia sponsored title runs like complete ass on AMD because they game code is locked down from AMD. AMD sponsored titles will run better on AMD ofcourse but they dont run like complete garbage on Nvidia hardware. As somone who has owned many nvidia and AMD gpus over the past 10 years, I can easily attest to how crappy things have changed in the past 3 years. Once Nvidia locked physx down from AMD gpus running nvidia as a physx card, Batman Arkham Assylum AA lock out from AMD using it, which was fixed with a simple user hack, things went slowly down hill from there. The biggest start of it was Need For Speed Shift 1 on launch getting at best 50% gpu usuage on AMD gpus. A damn 9600gt was whipping a HD 4870 because of it. That was an nvidia sponsored title with cpu based Physx and even then it had bad issues with physx.

I personally feel nvidia hurts the pc gaming market more then helps it.
    Saturated prices, segmentation of the pc user base, and pathetic mid range cards and prices in the past 2 years.

10. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    What a load of drivel. If Nvidia sponsored games lock AMD out of the game code then how come AMD are able to release drivers that fix the performance issues? I've seen a lot of developers talk about AMD and Nvidia and all of them have said that AMD does not offer help like nvidia. Nvidia have engineers available to developers to help with graphics code.

11. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

NVidia may have made some poor choices by adding options to already broken games that does not mean they broke them.

maybe adding after i.e. in a THE way its meant to be played patch that way we see the game is already broken i.e. Batman or NVidia caused it maybe that would be a better option but to be honest I have never had a problem NVidia tend to fix game drivers fairly quickly. And as I don't have an AMD card I don't care if they don't work

12. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    Not hating, but part of the reason why AMD hasn't released a CF profile is because of the 15.9 memory issue which still has not been patched, or they could be lazy. (Probably lazy) I understand the 980TI, however Nvidia doesn't win at ANY another price bracket especially not battlefront, and I don't understand why people buy their products in the now below the 980TI because they cost more and don't perform as well. The only "decent" Added feature is Hairworks, the new forms of AA are meh. Mantle was made open source shortly after its launch, whereas practically nothing Nvidia does is open source. Nvidia Inspector sounds interesting I'll have to take a look at it. You can OC a 390 to beat a 390X and you can OC a 970 to beat a 980, I don't see the difference. For Highend users 390/970 or 380/960 and up power shouldn't be a issue as you are paying +$240 on GPUs.

13. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    Everyday I feel like I am one of the few who cares about how both sides perform. Because without both we'd have nothing, a life of gaming on a Potato station 4 without MSAA isn't a life I'd like to live.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Difference is avg overclocks, maxwell around 1500. Which 30%+ overclock from stock boost most on stock voltage. What does the fury line hit around 1100 or so. That's a massive difference in gpu power from overclocking. If you wanna go stock boost my cards hit 1349 out the box.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The difference is AMD do alot less with/for developers, so get very little support from consumers in return.

Gameworks is obviously very crude and uses a brute force attitude for at least half of the effects, but as long as the effects can be disabled then it's a good thing, and think how good it will be for those coming back to the games in several years time.
    Without it, you just have a 1:1 console port at a higher res/framerate, and that isn't even guaranteed sometimes.

Nvidia are better for PC gaming as they have and are willing to throw money at devs who don't consider PC gaming the main priority, which as we know is nearly all of them.

16. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    The Fury doesn't OC as well but it still beats a GTX 980. The 300line is capable of 1200mhz. That 30% clock host doesn't translate to 30% more performance.

17. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    Everybody excluding Ubisoft and Rockstar care about PC gaming. The problem is that Nvidia needs to throw the money out without de-optimization of the competitions hardware. Current Fallout 4 minimum specs are a GTX 560TI/ HD 7850, they have over a 100% performance difference. If this means what I think it means we are looking at the worse port since watchdogs... Or unity...

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    The 10% clock increase of the fury line does not equal 10% more performance either so moot point.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Ubisoft care more about PC gaming that most devs, their sales are not far off the PS4 and above the X1.
    Their games are buggy and have performance issues on all platforms, while Rockstar just released one of the best ports of the decade.

No dev puts the PC above the consoles though, the sales just aren't comparable at the moment.

I'm assuming you forgot to add Beth to the list of people who don't care about PC gaming.
    Fallout 4 min specs are a joke, but every day i'm tripping over threads on here about AMD driver overhead issues, especially if you combine that with an AMD CPU, and since Beth are always several years behind the rest of the world, i think we can safely say that the game will be DX11 only

AMD get away with taking the piss out of their consumers by the fact they get praise when something works well, but deflect blame onto Nvidia when they do something badly.

While no Nvidia owner considers Nvidia to are saints, they know the script.

20. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    I know. Btw Nvidia inspector is the Nvidia equivalent of AMD OVERDRIVE. So nothing special there.