R9 390 problems, why that?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kurtferro, Oct 11, 2015.

1. kurtferro

kurtferro Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NiTRO R9 390 WB
    R9 390 problems, Low GPU load... why that?

Hello guys,

I bought a few days ago a Nitro Sapphire AMD R9 390, after uninstalling with DDU and after re-installed the latest beta drivers have tried the games until a few days before I played with a HD 7870, I noticed that in some games the card does not express the full potential, as you will see in the video that I recorded the GPU works at sobbing like there's a limiter, I tested in all modes, without vsync of course, but the fps are not blocked because they reach based on visual even higher values, I can also see by the ammeter if the board is working very hard or not, and in fact, consumption is much lower than in other situations, for example in beta starwars board goes as it should, always gpu at 100%, then it's not even a hardware configuration problem, I think the drivers have serious problems dealing with energy conservation going completely haywire.

The game in question is TESO and tried it with a 970 too, I did screen at the same point with all three video cards to have a benchmark of performance, the 7870 achieves 55fps (230W), with 970 83fps (250w) with r9 390 50fps consuming 300W !... even with the use of GPU unstable and almost always lower than the 99%, increasing the resolution up to 4k with VSR fps remain the same and the energy consumption increases to almost 400W!
    If this is the real situation of last AMD card i will send back for a 970..

I think one 390 should be pair at 7870 crossfire or better, but like i see is only energy drain card.

I have already set limit power at +50.

this is the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12MCtslyhnI

and i'm not the only:
    https://community.amd.com/thread/187004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY4N8L6wP34

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  2. romul

romul Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 gamin
    I don't have any problems with 15.9.1.
    Played only 4 games with it till now
    Mad max,Shadow of Mordor, arkham knight and
    Star wars battlefront and no problems.

3. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    First; that psu; while gold certified and could have top of the line parts, it might not have enough juice to deliver through the +12v rail. So if your psu, has more than 2 pci-e connectors cables, give each pci connectors slot on the card a different cable.

Second; have you tried earlier drivers, like 15.7, or 15.8b?

Last but not least; check the driver and see if you forced some kind of a setting that is locking your fps in certain games. Also while increasing the powerlimit gives the card more room to breath, i would also try to forced a certain clock via msi afterburner.

One thing to keep in mind, not all games run perfect. Some have driver issues, and many are just bugged, and that applies to every gpu out there.

4. kurtferro

kurtferro Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NiTRO R9 390 WB
    I use 2 separate clable from psu, is not the problem, i run furmark and i reach 500W and full load with no problem, and starwars battlefront seems run good, there isnt a limiter from anywhere, 50fps is not the limit of game, i can get 100 or more fps if i look the sky for example, i know all game and catalist setting, i played for years with my 7870, the only thing I can try are older drivers, although I do not think solve. I will update you on this test also.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015

5. kurtferro

kurtferro Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NiTRO R9 390 WB
    Same with 15.7.1

6. kurtferro

kurtferro Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NiTRO R9 390 WB
    There is no way to disable powersafe state? i tryed ULPS but not help.

7. pokyeah88

pokyeah88 Member

GPU:
    strix gtx 1070
    Having no problems so far with nitro 390. but then again i never play TESO. Have you try swapping the psu and try other games, because you should have a better experience than me in others because of that overclocked sandy i5.

8. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Your core clock should be a steady 1000mhz (or higher depending on which brand you have). It somehow seems to throttle. I know that windowed mode can cause this, but i don't know if this is the case with ESO.

It is possible to force a constant clock speed with MSI afterburner. I don't know if it will fix your problem, but i might fix the throttling.

Did you try the other BIOS? I don't know if there is a performance BIOS on the r9 390.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  9. Forky

Forky Guest

I have throttling issues on my 270x if I don't disable AMD Overdrive. Letting MSI afterburner handle my overclocking with Overdrive off seems to work fine. Maybe that might help you.

10. kurtferro

kurtferro Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NiTRO R9 390 WB
    Tryed in full screen, no vsync, max fps limit in game more than 120, overdrive disabled, no overclock, ULPS disabled and the problem persist, if i stay in one position and i do 45fps it dont change if i set all graphic to low or to max, if i use VSR to 4k i have pair fps or less, if i change visual i can get less or more, is not a stuck fps limiter its just a wrong gpu load limit, in most situation i do more fps with my old 7870, it's ridicoulus because 390 is the exactly double in gpu e memory bus of 7870.. and AMD don't answer in their forum for this problem. ATM i don't want to try different bios, for me is a bad driver manage.

Now i try with 15.10beta but i know they don't fix nothing too fast.

How i set costant clock with msi? i know only constant volt or ULPS or fan

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

11. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    Use Unofficial Overclocking method.

12. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    390 + 600w PSU = very BAD idea.

[​IMG]

13. OneB1t

OneB1t Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X@R9 390X 1050/1325
    not really if you have good 600W PSU ;)

im using 650W for FX-8320 and R9 290X both overclocked without any issue (for 2 years in this composition now)

14. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Op, only thing you can do is to test your 390 with benchmarks, compare the scores with what they should be. If this is in order, then you're left with a driver/game problem.
    If however you experience this in more games and in benches, then perhaps your card throttles too often, or simply can't take the power that's asked from it.

I found on my card that when not overclocking the powerlimit is the same at 0% as at +50%. The card will throttle a bit, not much though. But with higher clock settings the powerlimit comes into play and does help reduce the throttling.

I use 15.7 (not 15.7.1) but have you tried even older drivers? Give the 15.5 a try.

ps. You're sure your clocks are different after installing for the 390? No leftover settings from the 7870 after uninstalling that?
    Always use DDU and Ccleaner after uninstalling drivers, and check registry manual if possible, could be some obscure leftover amd keys in it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  15. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    Your link shows entire rig using under 500w overclocked. Also that Nvidia power consumption is full of **** only 14w gained on the 970 from OCing? What did they OC 1 mhz?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

16. kurtferro

kurtferro Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE NiTRO R9 390 WB
  17. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    And what are you surprised? The 970 has great consumption / performance / overclocking.

In the review they say.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-amd-radeon-r9-390-8gb-review

18. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    >Eurogamer

The same site caught faking benchmarks they were exposed on the 270 vs the 750ti they used different settings.

Stop using obscur websites use sites like Guru3d, anandtech, tomshardware etc.

Guru3d says your wrong.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_r9_390_pcs_8gb_review,9.html

390 wins in every single game.

19. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Aquiies, Prefix and anyone else going on about "this is better than that, this is rubbish, omg this hardware sucks get that" etc, this isn't a comparison thread, thread sh*tting isn't going to help kurtferro's problem and just ends up causing flamewars and getting the thread locked.

On topic, Kurt, I seem to remember a bit ago that there were problems with ESO on AMD hardware from boths sides, so faults on ESO side and faults on AMD driver side.

You'd probably be better off asking in the ESO forums about this problem, there might be a game fix such as a compatibility flag you could set in the launcher or within configuration files etc.

The other thing to do would be to report this problem to AMD explaining what you're observing happening using the AMD driver reporting form (not like it'll get worked on anytime soon but you never know).

20. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Yeah, but it's Seasonic. Don't know what model it is but my bet is that PSU can deliver at least 600W of pure power on single +12V rail or dual-rails combined. That's why they are so expencive, you've got what you've paid for. My Seasonic 620W delivers 576W/48A on single +12V rail, it costed me like a kidney here in Serbia years ago but no regret on my side, not a minute.