MSI Z97 Gaming 5, i5 4690K. NO POST. DEBUG LED OFF.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by samaka, Oct 10, 2015.

1. samaka

samaka New Member

GPU:
    Gambari/Taza/KEBEER
    Hello! I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is building a PC on Skype with me, unfortunately he is having trouble getting it to boot.

I basically ordered the parts for him, the PSU is an EVGA Supernova B2 (super flower) and having assembled the computer, it just wouldn't post. Black screen. Fans spin up and everything, but no output at all. Initially I assumed it was the monitor, but he tested it on a laptop it works.

Things I tried with him on skype:

1. Remove, reseat 24 pin ATX and 8 pin cpu plugs
    2. Unmount the motherboard, check for metal contacts, check washer positions
    3. Boot with no ram at all
    4. All combinations imaginable of 1 DIMM instead of 2, in every DIMM slot
    5. Remove the GPU and run off the integrated graphics DVI output
    6. Remove all connectors except 24pin atx, 8 pin cpu and power switch
    7. Combinations of all the above

Throughout all of these attempts the debug led at the bottom of the board has been OFF

He is going to return the motherboard for a refund and order another, I'm going to try to convince him to visit a pc repair shop or something just to test on another PSU.

Any of you have any bright ideas ?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for your time :)

EDIT: If the 12v cpu rail was dead, the motherboard would at least display some debug code right ?

2. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    It sounds like a dead board, you should test your power supply on another system, or your system with another power supply to make sure. Return the board! Good luck

3. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Also, congratulations on your samakacessor, it's benchmark topping.

4. Andrew

Andrew Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX-970 4G
    It may also be worth removing and replacing the button cell to clear the bios.

He should definitely try booting with the bare minimum hooked up; just cpu, ram and power supply. Don't plug in any USB devices, just the screen.

My MSI Z87M-GAMING often has trouble booting, it's due to using a PCIe graphics card. BIOS updates do nothing to help, but pressing the hard reset button usually brings it to life. Not quite the same problem (or board) though, plus my debug LEDs always illuminate. Think I'll use a different brand for my next build.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  6. Andrew

Andrew Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX-970 4G
    Oh, and this may be an obvious one - the power switch on the PSU is set to ON, right?

7. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Clearing CMOS didn't help, he ordered another board and is in the process of refunding this one. He had just bought it. DOA! :D

He failed to mention that the lights power on, fans and the 970 etc, even the waterblock.