120% cpu usage ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sounar, Oct 5, 2015.

1. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    Ive decided to try Bad company 2 after so many years and i realized my cpu usage is shown extremely high at 116% and can go as high as 130%. I didnt even know such a number was even possible, I always thought it tops at 100%? All 4 cores are shown solid green in the cpu status grid which indicates full usuage, but BC2game.exe is shown eating away only around 70% usuage. Nothing else is taking cpu Usage, so im usnure where the other 40% is used by. This only happens when I run the game, otherwise no such usuage when I quit. Am i missing something?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Not normal.

3. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    yes I realized this, thats why i decided to ask for advice here.

4. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    Deleted

5. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    Deleted

6. Crowbar

Crowbar Guest

GPU:
    MSi R9 290 GAMING
    Does this also occur in other games? Is the game lagging when the usage is above 100%?

I've seen people having max cpu usage in BC2 before as well, though the game ran fine and really it wasn't that high. But as other suggested, maybe check your pc for malware etc.

If this only happens in BC2 and there no slowdown's then maybe it's just a weird glitch and doesn't really effect anything at all..?

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Dunno, boost clock?

100% being max stock, anything over 100% = boost clock?

Just a guess

8. Crowbar

Crowbar Guest

GPU:
    MSi R9 290 GAMING
    Maybe that as well, though as much as I've seen, even if the cpu is boosted it still should show 100%.

9. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    You know i had the same and funny enough ive got the same CPU. It happened both times when i loaded single player, game just went into slide show mode and according to "task manager" all 4 cored were constantly at 100% for about 1 minute or 2. It was fine then. No clue why or what!

Online worked fine(apart from puinkbuster, but thats another issue).

10. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    After testing out witcher 3 the cpu usage as well goes over 100%, 104% to be precise, but Witcher 3 on its own takes 70% with nothing else eating the cpu from what i saw. not sure where the other 30% is dissapearing too. This seems only to be happening when Im gaming, as once I close the game cpu usage drop to 2%. if it were some form of virus the usage would of been there all the time, game or no game. If i enable V-sync for wticher 3, the total cpu usage is only at 75% and the game itself takes even less. So Im assuming CPU works much harder to perform the higher frames with v-sync off but still unsure why or how it goes over 100% with it off. The games however seem to run really smooth overall.

The other issue is how on earth the overall cpu usage is greater than all the process combined that is shown while gaming...confusing!

11. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    That would make sense honestly, but its the first time Ive seen it go over 100% :3eyes: maybe i just never payed attention.

12. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    So i think i figured it out the cpu usage thingy. My maximum frequency is shown to be 135% in resource manager(see pic posted). The default speed of 2500k 3.3ghz. 135% of 3.3ghz would equal to 4.5ghz which is my current overclock. So true 100% usage in reality is 135% with my current overclock. And the green grid graph doesnt show above 100% of the default speed of 2500k 3.3GHZ. That is the only way i could make sense of it all.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I've torture tested many CPUs over the years and I never saw CPU usage go over 100%.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Wonder if windows has incorrectly calibrated the CPUs min and max clocks

15. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    never heard of such a thing, but at this point anything is possible.

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's this and it's 100% normal.

17. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    ahh ok interesting