Got my NH D15, but are my 4790k temps acceptable?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by MaximusVIIHero, Oct 3, 2015.

1. MaximusVIIHero

MaximusVIIHero Guest

GPU:
    980 SLI
    Hi people, my noctua nh d15 is installed with two exhaust fans and an exhaust fan in my r5, my temps while running p95 26.6 are 84c on hottest core after around an hour with fan speeds from 1200rpm ro 1500rpm due to fan curve
    while gaming they can get up to around the 70c mark when playing crysis 3 (but with high cpu usage accross all cores with hyperthreading being used)
    in intel XTU they got upto 77c on hottest core. i dont know my ambient, all i can say is that it is warm. So are these acceptable temps, because people with a 212 evo reported similar temps. So my question is, should i remount or is there an issue? i used a small pea sized amount of thermal paste.
    My specs :

4790k 4.6 ghz 1.25v
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO motherboard
    980 sli acx 2.0 evga
    fractal r5
    nh d15 noctua
    16gb ddr3 1866mhz corsair vengeance pro

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That temperature sounds right. 4.6 GHz is a decent overclock anyway. Did you set 1.25V yourself or is that auto-ramp voltage?

This might sound like a stupid thing to say, but if you drop your CPU speed to 4.5 GHz, assuming that the CPU voltage is auto-ramp (or whatever it is called) the temperature will likely drop. Now, I know that sounds obvious, but sometimes the simplest drop back like that can be the difference between acceptable temperatures and temperatures that are too high. Performance loss you might ask? Well, it's around a 2 percent drop. To put this into perspective, playing a game the 2 percent drop will mean absolutely nothing in terms of gaming performance. Worst case is that you will get a 2 percent drop in framerate if all cores were perfectly saturated to 100 percent when running at 4.6 GHz.

Keep in mind when playing Crysis etc, even though the cores aren't saturated, you will still be running the CPU at 4.6 GHz and 1.25 V. So, when running at 4.5 GHz you will still have a temperature drop even after playing Crysis 3 etc with the cores only 40 percent or whatever saturated. If you need to disable the CPU speed/voltage ramps, run a constant voltage etc to be stable then you're probably overdoing it for a casual overclocked. Sure, to get absolute overclock doing this can be beneficial, but it's only really beneficial for enthusiast level overclocking where longevity of the CPU isn't a prime consideration.

The downside with your current overclock is that the temperatures are about right, so reinstalling it won't help. Secondly, if your room becomes warmer those temperatures will get even higher. Lastly, over time a little dust will coat your heatsink (even if it's fine dust that gets through any installed air filters), and that will reduce cooling performance. The other consideration you haven't taken into account is the temperature of the supporting hardware on the motherboard.

3. MaximusVIIHero

MaximusVIIHero Guest

GPU:
    980 SLI
    thank you, the voltage was manually set rather than auto. and thanks very much for the info

4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I get slightly lower temp Aida64 stress test 75c gaming sits around 60c my case airflow is awesome and that really helps

4.6 @1.28

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015

5. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    yeah this is true, it makes a hell of a difference, and maybe your 980s are causing extra heat in the case?

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah extra case heat does make a big difference.

I used to go by the principle that is pretty standard when it comes to overclocking. You try and find the highest stable overclock. I now believe optimally you should go for the highest stable overclock that doesn't cause a sudden spike in temperature.

What I mean is, if running at 4.5 GHz and auto voltage your temperatures are noticeably lower, it's probably a wise idea to go with that instead. Especially true seeing as it will make no difference to video gaming and around 2 percent in CPU computations where the cores are loaded.

7. MaximusVIIHero

MaximusVIIHero Guest

GPU:
    980 SLI
    thanks for your help, im glad my temps are normal. but i had always done manually rather than auto ramp.