Have to wait for New Line of GPU's to utilise Full DX12 support !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Sep 1, 2015.

?

Will You Wait for New GPU's ?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2015.
  1. Yes, I'm in need !

8.3%
  2. No, i don't need DX12, Playing Old Games

20.8%
  3. I will Wait.

70.8%
  1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD: “There’s no such thing as “full support” for DX12 today”, Lists Missing DX12 Features For FuryX

Yesterday, we informed you about the missing DX12 features of NVIDIA’s Maxwell. A lot of people criticized the green team, however it appears that there is more to this story than meets the eye. After all, AMD’s Robert Hallock revealed that FuryX is also missing a number of DX12 features.

Robert responded to a Reddit thread regarding the DX12 features that are missing from NVIDIA’s graphics cards, and claimed that there is no such thing as “full support” for DX12 on the market today. And yes, that also includes AMD’s graphics cards.

“I think gamers are learning an important lesson: there’s no such thing as “full support” for DX12 on the market today.” said Robert and continued:

“There have been many attempts to distract people from this truth through campaigns that deliberately conflate feature levels, individual untiered features and the definition of “support.” This has been confusing, and caused so much unnecessary heartache and rumor-mongering.

Here is the unvarnished truth: Every graphics architecture has unique features, and no one architecture has them all. Some of those unique features are more powerful than others.

Yes, we’re extremely pleased that people are finally beginning to see the game of chess we’ve been playing with the interrelationship of GCN, Mantle, DX12, Vulkan and LiquidVR.”

When a fan asked afterwards what are the aspects of DX12 that the FuryX is missing, Robert replied and listed them.

“Raster Ordered Views and Conservative Raster. Thankfully, the techniques that these enable (like global illumination) can already be done in other ways at high framerates (see: DiRT Showdown).”

In short, there is currently no graphics card with full DX12 support, and that feels really weird as some games may favor NVIDIA’s cards while others may favor AMD’s cards.

So none of Us have right about DX12 Support for AMD or nV GPU's (nor Fiji or Maxwell have it :3eyes: )

So Greenland R4xx or Pascal (HBM1 or HBM2) :banana:

UPD.
    [​IMG]

Here ->
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-t...-today-lists-missing-dx12-features-for-furyx/

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  2. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Fortunately, I already got what I wanted from dx12. :rolleyes: Cheers!

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yeah AoS, 3Dmark -> works OK
    But New Games in the future will have Full DX12 Utilisation, then switch is a must :D

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

True, end of next year with the R9-400 series (or whatever it will be called) :). Even then if (can't say 'when', since game developers may take the easy route) the currently unsupported features are supported, DirectX 12 will still work on DirectX 12 capable cards (that is, feature level 11_1 and up) just without those features.

5. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    My GPU plays everything awesome when DX12 games are out I will decide if I need a new GPU

6. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE

what they sais is 100% true. but how you are presenting is 100% wrong... all these card are full dx 12 capable from amd and nvidia. but this is an old story that amd doesn't support Raster Ordered Views and Conservative Raster.. dude haswell has that support too. this is not a big advantage ( not performance advantage ) and the same effect can be achieved using other ways. where as nvidia is missing a 2 big things one is tire 3 level tiled resource and async sadder. these are performance improving feature and nvidia can not bypass this ( like amd can generate the same effect of raster ordered view and Conservative Raster by using other ways).. stop miss interpreting things..

7. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    i dont think r9 400 or whatever it is will support dx 12 with all those features.. and pascal will support async sadder or if it doesnt it will be very bad. else nvidia needs to go back to the drawing board and redesign a new card. see what will get after 2 years those are already exits at least as a prototype in these companies top secret labs. the current cards are already dx 12 capable. and if u even have a 290x u can play games for at least two years at 1080p...

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I have a 280x (as per my sig). It's supposedly one of the fastest 280x's out of the box (noticeably so). Still, I'm sticking with it and waiting to see what AMD Greenland and AMD Zen bring. If the rumour of load balancing (independent of API) is true, I'd be keen on an AMD APU + mid level AMD discrete card.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    OnnA, your poll choices are poor man's choices. Look at available stuff from DX12, and decide if you need it or not, that's all.
    There are features which you do not need and do not want. If they bring minimal, visual improvement and crush your fps, you do not want them.
    Even pascal/next GCN iteration may not have everything there is to 'full DX12', yet it may bring performance degradation when used and people would evade those game settings anyway.

And you should always remember that performance per $ stays quite same at time of new GPU release. So in one year, AMD/nV may bring price of top GPUs down a bit, but their replacement (while more power efficient) will cost nearly same and perform same.

Cost is defined mainly by chip size (and its manufacturing process) and performance.
    So expect to double Fury X/980Ti performance at cost of 13B transistors and nearly double price, unless 14nm becomes much cheaper than 28nm...

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yes maby you have a point :) We have to wait either way. I don't need new GPU -> just wanna Fiji is so sexy :banana: (and even now i have DX12_0 for sure, maby even DX12_1 so its OK to me now)

I don't mean that -> I just put this cuz' we need to know more about DX12 capabilities !
    And New GPU's will be a Must, if You wanna Play 2016 Games with all blows&whistles :)
    So Radeon R490X or Pascal for Us :pc1:

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Maby, but is only 3 options
    Yes,No and Later -> i think it will give Us a glimpse in Opinions of other Users :approval:

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thing is, that poll gives limited options.
    1st implies Waiting, but in need for new one already.
    2nd implies, not waiting and buying non DX12 GPU which is wrong as any modern GPU is somewhat DX12 compatible.
    3rd is same as 1st with exception, one is not in need.

You can have 12 choices in poll (and multiple choices enabled will help a lot).
    My options would be multiple choices:
    I have GPU without DX12 capability
    I have GPU with partial DX12 capability
    I have GPU with Full DX12 capability (apparently not needed)

I am in no need for upgrade
    I am in need for upgrade

My next GPU purchased does not have to be fully DX12 capable
    My next GPU purchased must be fully DX12 capable

That would basically tell if people will wait or not and in what situation they are + how big moral value their card holds to them.

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    THX -> but now i can't change that :confused:
    But i like your suggestion :D

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I am still waiting working drivers from all HIVs...

[​IMG]

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    that should be a wreckit ralph meme.

lol

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What are the main bugs you encounter?

17. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Related to Direct3D 12 API, it would be an annoying never-ending list... I am also sure that not all HIVs (no-one?) currently support all the latest specifications...
    Fortunately simple basic samples work correctly (more or less) on all hardware and driver, so anyone should be able to write D3D12 code that doesn't use (a lot) of new API candies, running it on most of hardware (even creating complex application). However most of new API candies do not work well or do not work at all on most hardware.
    Async-compute on Maxwell 2.0 atrocious performance is just one of them, and since it is just a performance issues, I consider it just a low-priority "fix-to-do". There are more annoying issues related to tons of core API functionalities.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Is the performance atrocious on Maxwell, or is it simply as fast as DX11?

19. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    Has any card ever utilized any version of Direct X 100% in hardware?

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    First Dev have to do so :banana: