No Async Compute ACE for nV GPU's :-(

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    DX12_3 Async Compute ACE in New GPU's

Oxide Developer: “NVIDIA Was Putting Pressure On Us To Disable Certain Settings In The Benchmark”

When Oxide’s Ashes of the Singularity benchmark tool was released, NVIDIA issued a statement claiming that it does not consider this particular benchmark to represent what DX12 can achieve on its hardware. However, it seems that a lot has been going on in the background. According to one of Oxide’s developer, NVIDIA was pressuring Oxide to remove certain settings in its benchmark.

As Oxide’s developer claimed, NVIDIA’s PR department put pressure on the team in order to disable certain settings in its Ashes of the Singularity benchmark. Oxide refused to do so, which basically led to NVIDIA’s statement regarding Ashes of the Singularity.

“There is no war of words between us and Nvidia. Nvidia made some incorrect statements, and at this point they will not dispute our position if you ask their PR. That is, they are not disputing anything in our blog. I believe the initial confusion was because Nvidia PR was putting pressure on us to disable certain settings in the benchmark, when we refused, I think they took it a little too personally.”

Oxide’s developer also revealed that NVIDIA’s Maxwell does not support natively Async Compute, and that NVIDIA asked Oxide to disable it for its graphics cards.

“Personally, I think one could just as easily make the claim that we were biased toward Nvidia as the only ‘vendor’ specific code is for Nvidia where we had to shutdown async compute. By vendor specific, I mean a case where we look at the Vendor ID and make changes to our rendering path. Curiously, their driver reported this feature was functional but attempting to use it was an unmitigated disaster in terms of performance and conformance so we shut it down on their hardware. As far as I know, Maxwell doesn’t really have Async Compute so I don’t know why their driver was trying to expose that. The only other thing that is different between them is that Nvidia does fall into Tier 2 class binding hardware instead of Tier 3 like AMD which requires a little bit more CPU overhead in D3D12, but I don’t think it ended up being very significant. This isn’t a vendor specific path, as it’s responding to capabilities the driver reports.”

All in all, it looks like AMD is currently in a position to challenge NVIDIA, especially when it comes to DX12-only games. It will also be interesting to see what will be NVIDIA’s reaction to this whole thing.

And thats It :3eyes: ?

Do really think that nV will criple/gimp DX12 games with their logo in the Future?
    Is that mean that Med CPU AMD/Intel users will not have their Gain in New API? And i mean from both CAMPS?
    We have to remember one thing: Lot of people Playing Games in FHD or Lower res. with Hi/Med/Low settings

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Dear Oxide

if your DX12 performance isn't better than the drivers' DX11 performance, you're doing it wrong.

In the end crap like this will come back to bite us AMD users.

3. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Why doing it wrong? What if nvidia gpus today cant work properly with dx12 parallel workflow? What if DX11 is 100% efficient with nvidia DX11 gpus? What if those same gpus cant be 100% efficient in DX12?

We know AMD's drivers sucks for DX11, maybe nvidia has some issues on DX12 untill pascal arrives..

We wont know anything for sure untill more DX12 games are out there.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Agreed.

Just don't call your part of perf. optimization optimal, if you're running bellow DX11 perf.
    And if Maxwell is that bad, and Fury X is not exactly flying over 980 Ti, things and not that rosie with AMD AoS codepath also, right?

But more than that, Oxide is engaging in war of words with NV, no matter how often they claim otherwise.
    For the last year they were more involved in PR business than any other developer, praising AMD, fighting NV, and overall acting like AMDs spokesman. These are just facts.
    And that's why I am skeptical about IHV neutrality they claim. Pretty sure we can expect retaliation on the part of NV.

And so it beginss: ARK runs like utter *** on my rig

5. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Runs on every rig like utter crap, and that is why people were waiting for DX12 patch, which is now avai........ oh wait it got cancelled. Now i wonder why?

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  7. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

I play Ark on almost max setting and it is fine it is also early release so what do you expect next year when it is released and has been optimised we will get higher fps I would rather have patch delayed and work well than release with problem.

8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What is "fine" to you? Here you can see how it performs on a 1,000$ GPU (25-30fps)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71dDl-KdyuY

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yes.
    exactly what OP is all about

(in reality I have no idea what ARK devs are really doing :D)

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    inb4 nvidia is gonna get creamed by 18% market share holder, AMD.

Seriously i hope AMD will pwn nvidia in dx12 and future titles, in past year nvidia is vs itself mostly...

But i hope next gen cards will be able to play 95% 1440 144mz-120hz at 100fps AT LEAST.

12. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I play ark all epic except for AA medium skybox 50% mesh 75% ground clutter 75% at 1080p

Minimum I have seen is around 40fps normally it sits above 50 fps

13. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I agree it's good for a brand to be behind it pushes them to improve AMD is long overdue leading DX12 I hope will be good for AMD

14. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Omg at 1080p?

You bought an 800 bucks gpu to play at 1080p? I am sorry man.. :(

You just got :whip:

I curse AMD when i wake up and before i go to bed, just for the hell of it. And i paid 250 euros for mine and i got 4 free games with it (payday 2, alien isolation, civilization beyond earth, and star citizen) and a 10 euros gift card.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  15. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    No I play using DSR 1440p but ark is better at 1080p

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That guy (link i posted) mention that that ARK performs better on Fury X, even in DX11, except some graphical flickering that AMD needs to figure out.

17. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

Hope AMD are working on that I would hate flickering I like the Fury X I don't like the cooler that's why I bought a 980ti

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You guys still talking about a single dx12 game in pre beta state as well as drivers that don't count as optimised and a dev that is clearly supported by and supporting AMD? :rolleyes:

19. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    I would rather have a developer working with AMD than a developer working with Nvidia. Every game that has been part of gameworks program aside from the witcher 3 was and in the case of Batman AK is still broken. On the other hand games that carry gaming evolve slogan work perfectly on any hardware.

20. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

That would really surprise me when you say broken on every game do you mean on AMD hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.