Better than Downsampling!! (NVIDIA)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by amine4ever, Aug 30, 2015.

1. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    I posted recently a thread on AMD section because i own an R9 290X, but what i explain
    in this thread works for Nvidia users too, so there is the link of the thread if you are interested:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=402083

See you maybe in the Red side ;)

2. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Sweetfx? Or one of its varients ?

3. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    yes it is!!

4. emusa

emusa Guest

GPU:
    Asus 780 (1140/6600 OC)
    So using FXAA + SMAA with sharpening would produce similar results when compared to DSR..? Two passes of post-processing AA stacked on top of each other doesn't sound to hot to me. Pictures look fine though.

DSR + FXAA would be preferable I think - but of course it's a lot more resource-hungry than FXAA + SMAA.

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I've been mashing NV driver FXAA ontop of SMAA injectors and ingame postprocess AA for a while now.

Like in GTAV, I use ingame FXAA with the driver FXAA. Looks fine to me.

6. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Combining FXAA with SMAA. LOL! That remainds me the old believe that having two antivirus software is better than one. :D

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I find fxaa and smaa terrible when moving ,its still aliased as hell which makes it practically only suitable for screenshots when you are standing still , downsampling is a much better solution here.
    from the post effects i like txaa the most since that does cover moving

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Downsampling only does so much. Take aliens iso for eg, even at 1400p with smatx1 (I use sli) the game still suffers from aliasing something terrible. Using OPs method does a better imo.

Though i do think is a game by game issue.

9. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    That's shader aliasing. We would need TXAA or SGSSAA for that.

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    irrelevant, my point was that DS doesn't solve everything.

11. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    But it solves a lot more than any post process AA.

12. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    you have to know that what you are trying to say is more than obvious, and i'm not trying to be rude,
    i just want you to understand that no one doubt about the efficiency of Downsampling,
    it's just the ultimate way to get rid of jaggies and it's the solution that they use also in 3D movies.
    but when it comes to gaming, our resources with a single or 2 gpu are limited,
    so people can't play with (ultragraphics+downsampling+60 fps) even with high end gpus,
    so they use solutions like MSAA. the problem is that in a lot of games, MSAA is poorly optimised, i.e. if you try to play GTA V with ingame fxaa, you can have a 60fps experience, but if you turn on 4xMSSA you will play at 42fps.
    this is why postprocessing method become an interesting solution. :)

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Exactly, +makes bigger FOV.

I usually mix DS + driver FXAA or sometimes SMAA and it works just fine.

Best reso so far is 2880x1620 with moderate perf. impact, 2560x1440 has better perf., but its just too low when DS'ing on 1080p screen, still a bit jaggy unless I add some extra MSAA in the mix, but I have to keep it minimal or it takes a bigger hit then 1620p DS + postAA..

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No ****! Whoever said it didn't, besides the fact that txaa is simply a slightly better than fxaa, blurs the screen and still misses half the jaggies.

But unless you plan on releasing a mod that adds txaa to games that don't have it, you're simply doing noting but pointing out the obvious.

This thread:
    X game has avg aa solution - ds only does so much - OPs all, heres a solution - members start posting about options that simply arent viable or options that are not even included in 99% of games.

Yeah, well done you.

Op brought something to table. What of you got? Posts about how better aa methods are better? Oh ok, so hows that suppose to help me or any other game that doesn't include proprietary aa methods?

Im playing fc2 and Aliens iso at the mo, you got a .rar archive with txaa compatibility anywhere? No, oh ok so why'd you bring it up then other to point the obvious? AMD piss in your cornflakes this morning?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  15. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Or how to turn a PC into a console.. No thanks

16. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    lol i just want to thank you for your post. the thing that i don't understand is that i shared a solution that can be usefull for a lot of people,
    and this solution can be applied in recent and also old games, but people still preffer to complain instead of trying to bring other possibilities of this solution,
    and the funny part is that the links have been downloaded 1500+ time. strange world. lol :)

17. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Having two av is better than one, unless they interfer with eachother, something that's usually easily fixed.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  18. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I'm sorry your feelings are hurt, but FXAA is absolute garbage. Also, i'm quite certain the vast majority of us on Guru3d already knew about SweetFX's antialiasing.

19. SmashedBrain

SmashedBrain Guest

GPU:
    2x970@1500Mhz
    That's a viable method. But the result depends very much on the game.

I tried it for example with newer Total War games and there vegetation in a distance lost too much detail. In the end I went with downsampling despite the much heavier peroformance drop.

20. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Thanks for the post but this isn't rocket science. People have been combining multiple forms of AA for a long time now. SMAA and FXAA are both cheap and have their flaws so it can often be beneficial to use them together.
    As for the topic title though, it's not better than downsampling but why not use it WITH downsampling for the superior result.
    Personally I heavily sharpen most of my games with Lumasharpen and add SMAA where necessary