Are tessellation and overhead improvements exclusive to the 390 Series?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BradleyW, Aug 29, 2015.

1. BradleyW

BradleyW Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X CFX
    I remember testing the modified R 300 drivers and saw significant tessellation boosts on my 290X's in Witcher 3. Just wondering what is the latest on the drivers these days? Are tweaks combined into 15.7.1 or do us R9 29x users have a fight on our hands against injustice?

2. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well the CCC 15.7 was a unified driver, but they split them again with the 15.7.1, so how knows. I myself have looked after some benchmarks for unigine heaven, and firestrike graphics score, and i noticed that while the r9 390 clocked at 1010/1500 scored 100 points on firestrike higher than mine clocked the same, once the r9 390 is oc'd to 1175/1650 it scored 1000 points higher than mine at those same clocks. With unigine heaven, the r9 390 had 2 fps more than mine. So maybe the driver is a tad better, or the cards are just more refined.

3. BradleyW

BradleyW Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X CFX
    So it looks like we getting screwed by the AMD's drivers and their selective optimizations for certain brands.

4. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I noticed a weird thing about tessellation lately. I started playing DAI with Mantle (where the driver version shouldn't matter much) and I turned tessellation Off because I saw a notable performance impact with Low and High or Ultra were way too GPU hungry. Later I switched to DX11 (V-sync tripple-buffering got broken on Win10 for Mantle but DX11 got faster...) and tried to turn it on again. The performance impact seemed to be a lot more modest, I left it on High because it was almost as fast as Low and Off wasn't notably faster than Low anymore. Only Ultra eats too much now (but that's still realistic, less than earlier). I temporarily switched back to Mantle for testing and yet again, I could keep it at High without loosing too much fps compared to Off. I have no idea what has been going on with that.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No hw improvements.

Tesselation boost = Driver trick by limiting max. tess. in so called "15.15".
    Reverted later.

and then there were some driver overhead improvements vs older driver.

Same hw.
    Grenada=Hawaii

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There are no different drivers. There are two different links on the AMD website, but as of today at least, they both lead to the exact same page and files. The 390x has different voltage regulation rules in its bios, that might explain a lot of the performance differences (along with the faster VRAM). There is a whole thread in the forum about that.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I think no.
    But you have to remeber that teh R3xx are not REBRANDS -> They Have New Silicon and are done in better Production Node.
    Grenada/Antiqua are the same like 780Ti->980Ti so genreally Kepler->Maxwell Better performance per Watt.
    So its more like GPU Specific Gains :infinity:

8. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I think it's more comparable to Maxwell_V1->Maxwell_V2, if even that.
    The memory controller might be revised a little bit or it's all just BIOS tweaks (more refined detailed RAM timings for every straps) to handle the slightly better memory chips and higher clocks. The PowerPlay tweaks are definitely BIOS tweaks, I think. I think, from a practical standpoint, any physical differences are close to zero (if any, other than slight manufacturing process optimizations).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  9. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Alright then, I'm off to flash mine. A bit worried about the vrm1 temps though, as mentioned in the other thread, it rose to up to 20°c. Anything, i should consider before the flashing?

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    that the benefits of more mature 28nm HP is all 390 has over 290

so chances of fixing your 290 with the wrong BIOS are minuscule at best

Please report. I'd love to be proven wrong :)

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    im pretty sure it has updated power control circuits on-die as well

12. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well people are talking about noticing some gains after flashing their gpus, so why not give it a shot. I got everything setup and ready, but i still got a long list of benchmarks to go through first. As i was going through them, i did the witcher 3 then i got carried away and kept playing, so yeah um..... back to benchmarking. :p

13. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    witcher 3 has that effect. lol

everytime i say im just going to finish one quest, i end up playing for hours

lol

14. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Stupid game :p lol

Already on my third play-through on ng+ death march. One thing i hate is the sheer amount of ? in skellige.

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    and a lot of them are a pain to get to.

lol

16. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Tell me about it. Worst one was the one with the griffen lvl 48 and i was level 40. First time i used Thunderbolt, swallow, griffen decocation, hybird oil and explosive bolts just to finish a monster.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Fixed mine with Accelero Xtreme IV.

Guess which component inside my case is the most silent now :wanker:

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I have no idea, since I don't have a 290/290x. I just gave a cursory look to the thread.

I solved the under-load noises using this:

[​IMG]

19. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    What under load noises?

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Sorry, non-native english slip there. I meant that by placing that thing next to my GPU, the fan doesn't spin up to any really audible point any longer, no matter the load :)