[Project Log] - CANIS MAJORIS (modded Tt Core X9)

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by alexciobanu, Aug 26, 2015.

1. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    [Project Log] - CANIS MAJORIS (modded Core X9) - Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational S2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey guys and welcome to my build log for the Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2.

So honored and excited to participate in this along such great modders who have inspired me from the start!

Thanks a lot to Thermaltake for selecting me to represent Australia and also a huge thanks to all the sponsors of this project which are of course Thermaltake along with premium partner Newegg and also Avexir, PerformancePCs, MNPCTECH, Icemodz and Ramcity. Without all of you all this would not have been possible, thank you!

You can find more info about the CaseMOD Invitational here: http://casemod2015.thermaltake.com/season2/home.html

Lets have fun with this one and hope you guys enjoy the ride.

SPECS

Case – Two modded Thermaltake Core X9s
    Motherboard – ASUS Sabertooth X99
    CPU – Intel i7 5930K
    GPU – 2 or 3 ASUS STRIX GTX970s
    Memory – 8 x 4GB Avexir Core Series DDR4 2400Mhz (4 x orange LED, 4 x blue LED)
    SSD – Samsung SM951 512GB AHCI M.2 ; 2 x 500GB Crucial MX200 SSDs
    PSU – Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W Platinum

Cables – Icemodz custom sleeved cables

Radiators – 4 x Thermaltake Pacific RL480 Radiators
    Fans – 26 x Thermaltake Riing 12 High Static Pressure LED Fans - Orange, Blue and White
    Pumps – 2 x Thermaltake Pacific PT40-D5 Silent Kit Reservoir/Pump Combo with Thermaltake Pacific T11 Reservoirs
    Reservoirs – 2 x Fully Custom Reservoirs and 2 x Thermaltake Pacific R33 Reservoir
    Fittings – Various Thermaltake 16mm Rigid Compressions fittings , right angles and extension fittings as well as some soft tubing compression fittings for 3/8” ID x 1/2” OD tubing that I will be using in some spots. Also a few Bitspower pass-through fittings.
    Tubing - Thermaltake V-Tubler PETG Tube 16mm OD
    CPU Block – Thermaltake Pacific W1 CPU Water Block
    GPU Blocks - Thermaltake VGA Water Block for ASUS STRIX-GTX 970
    Coolant – Mayhems Aurora 2 Silver base concentrate and a combination of Mayhems Dyes in Red, Yellow and Blue to achieve the desired coolant colour

Lighting – Icemodz RGD LED Strips

Other – Thermaltake Commander FT – Touchscreen Fan Controller, 3 x Vandal Momentary and Latching switches for custom power button as well switch for the reservoir LEDs, custom MNPCTECH case feed, MNPCTECH machined aluminum fans grills and acrylic grills for the radiator fans as well as some modders mesh.

The theme of this build will be a sci-fi space theme such as the banner suggests and it is named after one of the largest stars known to man, VY Canis Majoris. I also draw inspiration for this project from the awesome game Elite Dangerous though not sure if I will implement any aspects of the game into the build as of now. The colour scheme will be a dark grey/gun metal, black, orange and blue.

As for the mods to the case you will be finding that out as I go along with the build log but yea I will be stacking two X9 cases.... with a twist ;)

The packages received from Thermaltake were larger than my entire desk area :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a quick look at the cases!

One of them still intact and the other one is gutted empty, only the panels remain :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    [Project Log] - CANIS MAJORIS (modded Core X9) - Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational S2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These cases are massive, here's a size comparison with an iPhone 6Plus for those of you who are not familiar with the X9 case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now I know you guys like the modding so here is the start of it!

I do wanna apologise from the start for the phone pics but there is no way I can take out the DSLR when doing this :)

Will do my best to show everything as I go along and once all the work on the case is done I will take proper pics of all the bits.

So here we go, out with the dremel and jig saw!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small incision with the dremel and fire away with the jig saw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out it comes.

[​IMG]

Just a frame left of the X9... for now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still a lot of filing to do and heaps more work to come. Hope you guys will enjoy this one!

Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    Hey guys!

Just wanted to share and showcase the items Mnpctech will be providing to use for this build! :D

Mnpctech Machined aluminum "Diamond Knurl" PC Case Feet in Anodized Black, http://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-stereo-desktop-case-feet/

[​IMG]

Mnpctech 100% Aluminum Expanded "Diamond" pattern Perforated Mesh for making fan guards, grills, cooling vents, window overlays, http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gaming-pc-liquid-modding-custom-computer-mnpctech-overclock-cooling-fan-grills/modders-mesh-perforated-aluminum-steel-honeycomb-grill-intake-front-fan-slotted-diamond-round-hex/

[​IMG]

Mnpctech 480 Quad Open Air Radiator grill Frame (4x120mm, 4.120mm) Open Air grill fits radiators and measure 5-7/8" x 5-1/8" wide with 15mm spacing, http://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-alphacool-ek-bitspower-hardwarelabs-heatkiller-liquid-cooling/480mm-open-air-quad-radiator-grill.html

[​IMG]

Machined aluminum "Overkill" Custom PC Fan Grills rings, http://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-cooling-fans-grills-custom/

[​IMG]

Heavy Duty PETG & PVC Ratchet Hand Cutter. Cuts PETG tubing up to 1.3" or 35mm outter diameter,http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gaming-pc-liquid-modding-custom-computer-mnpctech-overclock-cooling-fan-grills/petg-and-pvc-ratchet-tube-cutter.html

[​IMG]

4. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    [​IMG]

Hey guys!

Had to take out the power drill and get rid of all the rivets! :D

[​IMG]

Lots of rivets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What will become of this case?!

Stay tuned to find out :D

Cheers,

Alex

5. TAZTG

TAZTG Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 (SLI)
    This is going to be a Thread to Watch. Good Luck Alex!

6. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    Thanks a lot mate :D

7. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    [​IMG]

Hey guys!

This should give you a better idea where I'm going with this build!

After cutting up the back panel I decided I will remake it fully but love that I managed to keep the front panel and can still mount it.

Lots more work to do in remaking the back and both side panels as well as getting new mid bars and the radiator mounting. That should make the case more rigid on an angle like this.

Once this is done I will start working on the second case :)

Also keep in mind that everything is just mounted temporarily to get a feel of things :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking it out and stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    looks really nice looking forward to more

9. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    Thanks a lot mate :D

10. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA

11. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    [​IMG]

Hey guys,

Ready to tackle the other X9 case :D

First have to take it apart!

[​IMG]

You can see the other one in the background, not much has changed as of yet :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You might be able to spot all the popped rivets on the floor :p

[​IMG]

Or check them all out here :D

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

12. TAZTG

TAZTG Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 (SLI)

Bill's awesome and one funny guy. :)

13. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    Yea Bill is an amazing person, really made my day seeing that video :D

14. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    [​IMG]

Back with another update!

Playing around with ideas in the other case :)

[​IMG]

And making progress on the main case :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had an idea with the original mesh but probably not gonna keep it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about it! I need to secure the rad mounts on the side and mount some rads in to test fitment.

Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

15. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    [​IMG]

Hey guys!

I have secured the side rad mounts and mounted two of the 480mm radiators going in this build just to get a feel for how much room there will be in that section of the case.

Also the radiators on the bottom of the other case are mounted on an angle like that but I'm probably not gonna go with that idea. They will most likely go with two sets of fans on them mounted to the bottom of the case. The LEDs from the Riing fans should give it a nice underglow :)

[​IMG]

Also front panel still looks the same from last time however I will most likely get rid of the mesh and redo the whole front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pump/res combo should fit nicely under the motherboard tray. A new motherboard tray will be going in :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

16. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    [​IMG]

Package from Newegg has just arrived! A huge thanks to everyone there for the awesome support!

I will be updating the full system specs for this build shortly :D Also more pics will be coming!

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Alex

17. TAZTG

TAZTG Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 (SLI)
    OMG, You got the limited edition Black New Egg T-Shirt! LOL Awesome Hardware!

18. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    Hahaha thanks mate, unfortunately the T-Shirt is way to big for me. It's an XL, I'm an S or M at most :(. Oh well, the hardware is good haha :D

19. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    [​IMG]

Hey guys,

Here is another update on the system. Work on the case continues but first I would like to let you guys know the entire spec list :D

Case – Two modded Thermaltake Core X9s
    Motherboard – ASUS Sabertooth X99
    CPU – Intel i7 5930K
    GPU – 3 x ASUS STRIX GTX970s
    Memory – 8 x 4GB Avexir Core Series DDR4 2400Mhz (4 x orange LED, 4 x blue LED)
    SSD – Samsung SM951 512GB AHCI M.2 ; 2 x 500GB Crucial MX200 SSDs
    PSU – Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W Platinum

Cables – Icemodz custom sleeved cables

Radiators – 4 x Thermaltake Pacific RL480 Radiators
    Fans – 26 x Thermaltake Riing 12 High Static Pressure LED Fans - Orange, Blue and White
    Pumps – 2 x Thermaltake Pacific PT40-D5 Silent Kit Reservoir/Pump Combo with Thermaltake Pacific T11 Reservoirs
    Reservoirs – 2 x Fully Custom Reservoirs and 2 x Thermaltake Pacific R33 Reservoir
    Fittings – Various Thermaltake 16mm Rigid Compressions fittings , right angles and extension fittings as well as some soft tubing compression fittings for 3/8” ID x 1/2” OD tubing that I will be using in some spots. Also a few Bitspower pass-through fittings.
    Tubing - Thermaltake V-Tubler PETG Tube 16mm OD
    CPU Block – Thermaltake Pacific W1 CPU Water Block
    GPU Blocks - Thermaltake VGA Water Block for ASUS STRIX-GTX 970
    Coolant – Mayhems Aurora 2 Silver base concentrate and a combination of Mayhems Dyes in Red, Yellow and Blue to achieve the desired coolant colour

Lighting – Icemodz RGD LED Strips

Other – Thermaltake Commander FT – Touchscreen Fan Controller, 3 x Vandal Momentary and Latching switches for custom power button as well switch for the reservoir LEDs, custom MNPCTECH case feed, MNPCTECH machined aluminum fans grills and acrylic grills for the radiator fans as well as some modders mesh

I'm really excited for everything going in this system and can't wait to see it up and running :D

Here are some more pics of the work in progress. Started working on the bottom section too!

Acrylic motherboard tray is in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the case with the bottom section attached!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope it's starting to look more like a spaceship :D

Cheers,

Alex

20. alexciobanu

alexciobanu Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    [​IMG]

Back with another update!

Fixed the motherboard tray to the case and mounted pumps and res.

Just a perfect fit for the little pump and res combo. I cut a small hole for the fittings to come out of but forgot I need another one for the fill port. Hopefully I don't mess the other one up and the two fittings align properly :p

[​IMG]

You can also see I added some supports to the bottom panel. Very simple, just some threaded rods and the build is very solid along with the brackets I made. Once panels go on it will reinforce it even more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CPU cut out and also tapped for the motherboard stand-offs. The cables will come from underneath the motherboard to plug in. Will give it a nice clean look.

[​IMG]

Reservoir inlet fittings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need to drill for the fill port now.

Also if you guys are wondering why the small reservoirs hidden under there then stay tuned as something really exciting will go in the top section of the build next to the motherboard :D

Cheers,

Alex