Scree remains black when I boot

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by jgmouton, Aug 25, 2015.

1. jgmouton

jgmouton Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M
    Hi,

I have a Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite laptop and when I boot it the screen remains black until the password entry screen. Then I have to close the screen onto the keyboard, wait until the laptop enters the Sleep mode, open the screen and then the display suddenly appears and everything is back to normal.

How come? Can you please help me? Thank you!

Cheers

2. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Have you tried hitting F8 while booting and entering safe mode? You can also do this another way: Enter Windows, press the win key + r, msconfig, boot, lower left check safe boot, safe boot with network. Next time you reboot you'll be able to boot into safe mode with an internet connection allowing you to download DDU to deinstall the current GPU driver. You might also want to check the event viewer -> system for any odd errors.

3. jgmouton

jgmouton Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M
    Thank you for your help. I tried what you suggested but the problem remains. I did not see anything weird in the Event Viewer.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Tried resetting the BIOS?

5. jgmouton

jgmouton Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M
    Can the BIOS be the cause of such a problem?

6. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I remember a friend had selected external display on his keyboard and his laptop screen stayed black

7. jgmouton

jgmouton Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M
    Any other ideas?

8. jgmouton, it seems to be a graphics driver issue. I'll link a support article for an AMD video card, but the steps are very similar. The only difference is you look for Nvidia mobile GPU instead of the AMD mobile GPU listed in the article since you have a Geforce mobile GPU.
    Link to support article: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht079944

9. jgmouton

jgmouton Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M
    Thank you for your help. I followed the procedure but I still have the same problem. I must say that this problem did not occur after updating to Windows 8 and the mouse pointer is not visible when the screen is black.

10. jgmouton

jgmouton Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M
    Any other idea?

11. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    there are sometimes options in bios to hide boot screen .......... normally get a logo maybe yours is black

12. jgmouton

jgmouton Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M
    I plugged in another screen to be able to see the BIOS but there's no such option in it.

The big question is - What can happen when I close and open my screen when on the Windows login screen that cannot happen when the computer boots?