Overclocking Skylake

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Mr Terry Turnip, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    :banana:

Hey guys, I'm really really pleased to be back enjoying a PC again (thanks to my great friend Neal) it's been a long time due to financial difficulties.

I am overclocking my 6700K and currently at 4.6Ghz 1.3vcore. There is very little info really and not even loads on this forum so I was hoping to get a little advice as I don;t even know what I'm aiming for, like clocks, temps, vcore etc.

[​IMG]

how to temps look? about 30 mins of aida64 and I'm around 65 max.

Idle temps are around 21-25

Cooler is Corsair H80i

Many thanks.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, simple reason little is known about overclocking skylake: it's too young. People are just getting them I think.

Besides that, nothing unusual, at least I think you're doing pretty good so far. Wouldn't know if going above 1.3v is a good or not, some more experienced CPU overclockers could fill you in on that probably.

3. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Thanks very much mate

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well couldn't help too much, but at least I would not spend much doubt and porbably run your overclock as is too.

5. Erro

Erro Guest

GPU:
    GTX780, +140MHz
    Hey there, i recently purchased a skylake system myself. The forums are slim pickings in terms of OC settings. I found Hilbert's review and the one over on Anandtech to provide the better in depth overclock reviews. Also if you browse the Asus ROG forums they have a readme Word file as a sticky in the Maximus sub-forum which provides an additional introduction.

4.6 at 1.3V seems to be a good overclock. Better chips will be able to reach 4.8 under stable conditions.

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  7. Erro

Erro Guest

GPU:
    GTX780, +140MHz
    Thanks man, I'll take a look.

8. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    not a bad overclock, although I go for both OC and UV

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And you need over 1.4v to reach 4.6GHz?

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isnt the 1.4v little to high for 14nm? Their 22nm counterparts cant handle that much voltage unless some serious cooling is involved.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    My thinking.

12. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Have you got a source for that? That voltage would be high for 32nm, let alone 14nm. To my knowledge Intel have never given guidance on a max safe voltage.

Often people see Intels max VID and think it means max safe voltage. Max VID is just info for motherboard manufacturers, nothing to do with recommended voltages.

13. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    ^^ Sorry but that's just all wrong

Something is very wrong with those numbers. At stock they run somewhere under or around 1.2v

Just look at the owners thread

http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=402016

As for the max recommended voltage, believe what you want but I say Intel never recommended any such thing and 1.4 is ott for 24/7.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I would try to stay below 1.40v or 1.35v just like by any newer cpu..

3d-gate transistors can handle it to ~ 1.35v anything over will leak more heat and also could start to degrade sooner then lets say ~ 1.25 or 1.30v.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Baseclock oc is back, nice.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Your cpu has it too, although not so flexible.

100, 125, 167mhz..

17. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I'm telling you that they're wrong. It's very simple. A 6700K running 1.4v VID at stock speeds would be pulling way over the rated 91W TDP, it's never going to happen.

Perhaps you should actually read the owners thread and use different review sites (maybe Guru3d?) in future if the sites you use can't understand the very obvious.

Yes it does, it's a consequence of reducing the transistor size.

If there were some huge architectural change, it might be a different story but that's not the case.

From the owners thread:

"For stock clocks, you should be able to 1.2V or even lower"

"My i7-6700K at stock clocks will run at ~1.14-1.15v"

"I am currently at 4.5Ghz 1.28vcore"

"4.6ghz at 1.23v "

"23x 200 MHz = 4.6 GHz
    VCore = 1.3V "

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  18. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Ok fine. Let's ignore that a lot of the statements and numbers that you have come up with are basically untrue and go back to the original point which is that you have absolutely no evidence that 1.45V is max recommended by Intel, because that is also untrue.

What is a safe voltage for 24/7 operation is both subjective and unproven at this point. I will say that experienced people will tell you that 1.4V is pushing it for 24/7.

I am being an a$$hole about this because I don't want people who might be new to overclocking thinking Intel said it's fine and so pumping 1.45V through their chips only to find that they damage their CPUs. I'm not saying this will definitely happen, I'm just trying to give good information.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    1.45 as max max but most opt for bellow 1.4v and even that is a lot, really.. I personally would try to stay 1.35v or bellow regardless @ 24/7 scenario.

http://overclocking.guide/skylake-overclocking-power-consumption-and-voltage-scaling/

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/05/intel_skylake_core_i76700k_ipc_overclocking_review/7

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/overclocking-intel-core-i7-6700k/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/6

This isn't SnadyBridge or older cpu days where it didn't matter much, now all use 3d-gate transistors and that is something different and more sensitive..

IvyBridge, Haswell, Broadwell, can cope up to ~ 1.30 - 1.35v, Skylake up to ~1.35 -1.40v.
    By cope I mean heat wise and chip longevity.

You should have known better with your IvyBridge, go try running it at 1.35v, it will heat like crazy just like Haswell. Ivy/Haswell has a golden low temps limit ~ 1.30v.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  20. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Noooooooo, not the ignore list! I guess that's an easy way for you to get out of this.

All I did was ask you for a source on this 1.45V being the "official number from Intel". You have consistently failed to provide it.

I would be very happy for an owner of a Skylake to set me straight on stock voltages etc.

There is a big difference between saying don't go over 1.45V because you risk instant degradation or even death of the chip and what is safe for 24/7.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015