Does anyone have any experience with the KFA2 GeForce GTX 980 Ti HOF ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Webhiker, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Does anyone have any experience with the KFA2 GeForce GTX 980 Ti HOF ?

I had my eye set on the Gigabyte G1 card (my current Gigabyte GTX 780 have been flawless ), but when I went to order the card, I saw the KFA2 card was almost 75$ cheaper than the G1. I also looked at the MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti GAMING, which is the same price as the KFA2, but I like 3 fans better than 2.
    I haven't found any reviews on the KFA2 (except for the LN edition) so I have no idea how it performs.

So does anyone have experience with this card ? How it performs and how noisy it is ?

2. Joe

Joe Active Member

GPU:
    Galax GTX 970 @ 1400/3900
    Well i bought the KFA2 GeForce GTX 970 OC Silent "Infin8 Black Edition"

I love the card, runs cool, Silent no coil whine

Only downside is i think i got unlucky with the silicon lottery, not the best overclocker compared to other 970's & seems completely voltage locked. Not tried a custom Bios tho.

Boosted nicely out of box, upto 1367 then OCed to 1400ish 100% stable, Memory is at 3900 100% stable.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Those KoF HOF cards will probably rank amongst the best oc'ers for 980ti's.

4. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Cool, silent and no coil whine ... sounds great :)
    The HOF edition "should" be equipped with cherry picked silicone so fingers crossed.

5. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Yes they should. But I can't find any reviews around and that bothers me a bit.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The 980 version of the card is a solid piece of kit, and I've heard good things about the 780's also. I would like to see more reviews though, I was hoping to see one from Guru actually.

7. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  9. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    tek syndicate did a review, i dont have enough posts to show a link but its on youtube and a quick search will find it, seems pretty decent to me, sorry but i didnt watch it all, so i dont know about overclocking, but the cards seem to run very cool with that KFA2 HOF model, maybe the 3 fans, personally id go with the msi cards, i love the twin frozr cooler and i have a weird trust for the company, and gigabytes g1 ive heard nothing but good about.

10. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Good.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Don't worry -Tj- posted it.

13. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    thats some sh1tty fps under 4k xD

1440p @ 144 hz was much better to test with.

14. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    1440 is the resolution I plan to use, once the Acer XB270HU is in stock again, at my local retailer.

15. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Dunno about the HOF version.

Can only say that my normal KFA 980 performs like a dream, it is solidly build, not really any audible noise or coil whine and clocks well.
    Also it was ~50Euro cheaper than any other competition at the time i bought.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a KFA card again.

16. Enigm4

Enigm4 Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 980 TI HOF 6 GB
    I got this card about two weeks ago and have been toying a bit with it. The card overclocks really well, has no noticeable coil whine and the fans are quite silent.

I was able to get a stable overclock at these settings:

GPU: 1252 MHz / 1480 MHz boost (constant) / 1532 MHz max est.
    MEM: 8000 MHz
    Power target 120% / 50.0 mV overvolt / Temp. target 91C / Actual temp 79-80C / Fans 75% / ASIC 74,6%

If I clock it higher than this the card runs into power limit and starts down-clocking and sometimes crashing. I imagine it can overclock a little bit higher if I somehow manage to override the power limit.

Edit: I used nvidia inspector for overclocking. The xtreme tuner plus software that you can get from galax seems a bit wonky to me.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  17. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I haven't begun overclocking mine yet. I think I will wait until I get the Acer monitor. ( dunno why really ).

Mine is equipped with Hynix ram according to nvidia inspector.

http://pasteboard.co/2zynZIcI.png

Yes, the extreme tuner software is a bit funky. I will give rivatuner a go and see what happens.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  18. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    what is wrong with the channel? can you elaborate please?

19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    They've posted a lot of extremely questionable information in the past, things which really didn't add up or make sense. I'm not talking about making the odd mistake either, I'm talking about it being to the point where they were clearly fabricating some results.

There's two I specifically remember off the top of my head:

1. A test which showed AMD's 8000 series CPU's pitted against Intel's Ivy Bridge (I believe it was Ivy), which contradicted the results of every major publication on the matter from every trusted source. The most hilarious thing was the fact they showed a same generation I7 drastically beating an I5 in a test which wouldn't have made use of the I7's extra threads. So the only real difference was a minor bump in clock speed. The entire test was laughable, but many people who didn't understand what they were looking at were fooled.

2. They tried to present a terrible video on 'Audiophile Myths' in which a guest speaker from Mayflower Electronics made so many gaffes it defied belief. The 'guest speaker' essentially treated the entire video as an advertisement for his company, his credentials were non-existent. His company focused on making DIY audio kits into end products to sell on. The video was quite infamous in most audio related circles, the guy really had no clue what he was talking about.

There's definitely more, but those two stand out in my mind. I've spent time surfing the forum over there and checking out recommendations by the 'trusted/better known' members and staff, and frankly most would be laughed off of any other major hardware forum. They should be avoided at all costs, they've zero credibility.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  20. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    thank you for elaborating, i dont watch the channel, but it was the only review i could find of the top of my head. Can you tell me any other channels that i should avoid for zero credibility and such? i dont want to run into any biased channels like that anymore lol. and could you tell me a more trusted source, im not too good on who to look out for reviews. thanks

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015