15.7, 15.7.1, Windows 10 and HD6000 series

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mazhurg, Aug 2, 2015.

1. mazhurg

mazhurg Guest

GPU:
    ATI R9-290 *2 / 4GB
    Well, after installing Win 10 on this HP DV-7 (A8-3530 / HD6620G+HD6000 series) I can unhappily report that neither 15.7 nor 15.7.1 will install.

As a matter of fact, the entire HD6000 series is not even in the INF file for the driver.

Windows did install 15.200.1045.1 (7th Jul 15) on its setup. However that driver results in black videos - sounds ok in every tile app (Netflix / Crunchyroll, Funimation, etc.

Using DDU to blast and installing the default VGA driver does permit the videos to work (but lots of skipping and poor frame rates), however the dreaded windows update fixes that right away.

I think that what is needed to to have a proper fixed .inf file but unfortunately I am not technoable enough to play with INF files and their values. It is also very possible that 15.7 or 15.7.1 are also broken on the rendering portion as is the windows installed one.

Ticket was opened with AMD, however I am curious if anyone has encountered the issue and if a practical solution exists short of a reset.

2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    It looks like the Win 10 drivers are not ready for prime time as far as laptops go. The 8.1 version of 15.7.1 does include the 6620G and all other 6000 series. I would try installing that. You don't need the DX 12 capability since the cards don't support it anyway.

3. Anvi

Anvi Guest

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
    Same on HD 7340 graphics card. Also DXVA2 is broken on the Windows10 drivers currently available..

W10 insider drivers were fine.

4. Rivers23

Rivers23 Member

GPU:
    amd 7670m
    For people with non GCN cards like us, there's no reason to even upgrade to windows 10 so I don't even intend to bother with it. We can at best expect marginal performance improvements if we upgrade.

5. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Everything works fine on my card. Most of the games perform the same on Win10 as they did on Win8.1 but in some games I got a slight boost. And overall Win 10 is more responsive than Win 8.1 for me. IMO, this is the best Windows yet however it takes some time to disable all of the unnecessary and annoying features (like automatic updates or windows defender).
    First I installed the drivers from Windows Update and then simply updated them to 15.7.1, DXVA working fine.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  6. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I agree and that's why I don't think my Win 7 Llano equipped laptop will be upgraded.

7. ksio89

ksio89 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 8850M@8870M
    DXVA2 native? Installed Catalyst 15.7 Unifl WHQL and K-Lite Codec Pack Full, and noticed that DXVA2 native decoder (which uses the Radeon GPU) was not showing up, it was fine in Windows 8.1. My GPU is an 8850M though.

8. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

Take 4000 series card, install driver from 2012 and benchmark Tomb Raider (2013). Now change driver to later released after Tomb Raider and compare results.

I love when people say BS like this. Also drivers are not made only for games. Can you imagine that?

Windows 10 has many new and improved features. Most apps should be compatible. Even if you earning money using PC and you need your apps to be compatible with Windows 10, then you won't know if they are unless you check by yourself. That sucks if lack of proper AMD driver for Windows 10 is the only reason to stay on old OS.

They did not put all cards strings to the Win10 inf file. I can't find any reason for such action. Don't know what they are trying to show.

I joined to Insider program in May 2015. The only one driver available for HD6320 was the March driver. Ok, it was understandable since build 10130 was early one. However other people and me complained about this in Windows Feedback application. 3 months later I'm still forced to use 5 months old driver designed for very early Windows 10 compilations, because any newer is not available because of AMD laziness and ignorance.

People woke up now on AMD support forums (which is BTW badly designed, resources heavy, laggy and cause memory leaks in firefox) and continue complaining. Well, at least we don't give up and do something :thumbup: In my case it's another half a year without proper driver (do you remember Omega drivers, not so long ago, right?).

On Windows 10 (vs Windows 7) I lost 30-50% fps in games which uses DirectX older than 9. Not sure if gained in DirectX 9 games. Can't wait for driver which will support HD6320 with DXVA working (so basic feature).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2015
  9. walkuren

walkuren Guest

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 5650
    I having similar problems with HD5000 series drivers

10. Pethy

Pethy Guest

GPU:
    6620g+6750M
    Same problem here.

11. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

Have you tried to install 15.6 beta drivers for Windows 8.1? DXVA works with them and DirectX lower than 9 performance is not yet broken.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  12. juzz

juzz Member

GPU:
    4090 watercooled
    Works fine here with desktop HD5850 with 15.7.1. And I obviously turned off win10 forcing drivers instals by default to avoid it installing bad drivers

Using MPC-HC 64-bit (included lav-filters) + madvr.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Swapped better image. Snipping tool seems to work with tv somewhat properly without messing too much madvr OSD

EDIT2: Oh my bad you were actually mobility HD5000 series. So looks like it's maybe only related to mobility cards then.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  13. Pethy

Pethy Guest

GPU:
    6620g+6750M
  14. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    Im using WIN 10 and haven't seen anything wrong with 15.7.1