The Betrayer, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by AsiJu, Aug 1, 2015.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hello!

As the title says, is the Betrayer worth playing in your opinion?
    Reviews seem torn between novel and atmospheric vs. repetitive and frustrating.

I like games like FEAR, Dying Light, Alien: Isolation for example.
    Also I don't mind "grinding" in games as long as it serves some purpose apart from just gaining completion percentage.

In a mood for a tense FPS game.

TIA.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Personally, I love it and think it's great.

But, it's nothing like FEAR, Dying Light or Alien.
    It's sort of an adventure/horror title. More in line with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter... but with combat.

The game offers little to no direction. Dropping you in the world and forcing you to figure out on your own what you need to do, where you need to go... and why.
    I never got frustrating from it. But, it can be challenging. As you are a bit fragile, and some enemies can do a lot of damage quickly.

And, it carries over the idea from Dark Souls, where you die... is where your money/items are. You can get them back, but if you die before you reach it, it's gone forever and you start from scratch.
    But, they added an option to disable this.

I saw, for the price, and supporting a brand new studio... (specially former guys of Monolith) it definitely deserves the attention.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks, that's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. Plus supporting ex-Monoliths, I thought too, is also a good motivation.

I gathered from reviews there's little to no direction, as you said, but that's also good.
    Different from majority of games these days, ie:

"you'll never find my hidden lair which glows ominously from the background where you have to press X.

Br The Bad Guy
    PS: see you soon!"

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Got Betrayer and played it for a couple of hours so far.
    It's definitely different, I'll give it that. Takes a while to get used to I guess.

Very eerie and unsettling atmosphere and the enemies are creepy.
    Stealth seems pretty difficult to do right, almost always get spotted even if I'm trying to stay low and behind trees. Getting a shot in with the bow seems near impossible.

Though the satisfaction of sneaking up on a Conquistador and stabbing it in the back is even greater when it succeeds. Plus it seems you get extra loot for stealth melee kills (?).

Turned off the lose-loot-when-die option, the game's challenging enough as is and regaining stuff seems too much of a chore.
    Especially as loot seems very hard to come by, at least in the early stages.

Currently a bit lost, can no longer hear anything either in light or dark (Fort Henry)...

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Remember to go back and talk with the spirits you find.
    As you find more clues, the spirits will have more to say to you... helping you figure out what's going on.
    And helping you advance.

As for stealth, it becomes easier once you get some stronger weapons. But, also, while crouched... you'll be able to move quieter when the wind is blowing.
    Enemies can still notice you if you moving while crouched, but when the wind is blowing... the sound, moving grass and bushes... hide you. Making it easier to sneak up on them.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ yeah, will do, thanks. Need to start over anyway, reinstalled Windows and Betrayer doesn't support Steam Cloud...