GTX 980 + User-defined fan control: High RPM at program startup

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by jtimcampy, Jul 30, 2015.

1. jtimcampy

jtimcampy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Whenever I use user-defined automatic fan control on MSI Afterburner, the GPU fans ramp up to around 2000 rpm for about 1-2 seconds and then fall back down to the appropriate speed.

This only happens when I open MSI afterburner. By default the GTX 980 doesn't start its fan until the temps are about over 60C, so the fans are fine until windows starts up MSI afterburner. I tried turning off start with windows. The GPU fan remains at 0rpm (this is normal) until I open MSI AF myself.

I tried v3.0.1 MSI AF and also EVGA Precision, same thing happens. It only happens when the computer (or I) open MSI afterburner/EVGA Precision for the first time until reboot (with user-defined automatic fan control).

Since the GPU fan is fine when I turn off user-defined automatic fan control, and it only happens once every reboot (when MSI AF/EVGA Precision opens), I came to the conclusion the user-defined fan control is causing this.

I'm not sure when it started happening, but I am sure that it wasn't happening before. Has anyone have this issue? I'm on nvidia 350.12 driver.

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Show us a screenshot of your fan curve.

3. jtimcampy

jtimcampy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Ahh! it says I need 5 post count to post links/images..

Edit:

Here's my fan curve:
    [​IMG]

The temperatures are fine, and even the Fan speed % shows the correct percentage (according to the user-defined fan curve). See this picture: [​IMG]

The fan % will say 30% (which should be the correct percentage for 40 degrees C) but the RPM is actually at 1950 at that point which is clearly does not match the fan speed %. It only lasts 1-2 seconds before it falls back down to the correct RPM.

I installed latest nvidia driver (353.62) and it still happens:
    [​IMG]

It should normally look like this:
    [​IMG]
    with the fan RPM starting at 0 and then curving to the appropriate speed.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    On the 980 Afterburner only controls one GPU fan the other one can be controlled with MSI fan control tool. AB will not change in order to control both per Unwinder.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Where can I find this tool? My 980ti does the same thing and I never had this problem with my 770.

It's not a big deal but if I can control it that would be nice.

6. jtimcampy

jtimcampy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Hm.. does this also apply to EVGA Precision? Because this also happens on EVGA Precision.

I'm using a EVGA GTX 980 SC card on the Asus Maximus VII Hero mobo if that matters.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  7. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I don't use a third party fan control software so you would have to search the net.

Don't know about the newer versions Precision because it is crap.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Well it doesn't seem to do it for me anymore since the upgrade to Win10. Weird

9. jtimcampy

jtimcampy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    It's still happening after upgrading to windows 10 and doing a clean install of nvidia driver 353.62. I also used CCleaner to clean up the registry and cleaned up the Window.old folder. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens more often than not. Not sure if this is intended.. If it was intended, then it should happen all the time right?

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You want to retain 0 rpm feature of 9xx cards ?

I don't like that fan profile , here is what i would try .

If you do want 0 rpm feature , drag the bottom first point (0fan%/0temp) to 0fan%/35c .

If you don't care about 0 rpm feature drag that 0fan%/0temp up to 30fan%/0temp .

See if that helps at all .