Microsoft’s new small print – how your personal data is (ab)used

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by BetA, Jul 29, 2015.

1. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    source:
    https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

-------
    Windows 10 in a nutshell... ;) (i just had to post it) WARNING, Huge picture...

http://i.imgur.com/DiQbvqa.jpg
    -------
    discuss...:pc1:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    This was kind of obvious, they have to pay for all these free upgrades somehow.

On the flip side, this is the sort of thing Google and Apple have already been doing for years. Own a smartphone? Everything in this has already been happening to you. This is the price of a connected world.

3. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    What IcE said...

4. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I dont use a microsoft account...

As for Cortana, I am still messing around with it to see if I want to use it or not.

Like ice said though, it happens with android and apple too. Nothing in the world is free and its obvious when you are connected to the internet there is no such thing as privacy really...

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I turn off ALL sharing info settings in Windows 8 and now 10 too.

I know there are probably thing's I have missed but I have tried to get all of them.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You can't, all you can do is select the "basic" level of sharing. Still, if you want to go crazy on the privacy, simply don't use any built in apps or Cortana, and you'll be fine.

The only thing that worries me is this addition here:

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing
    the use of the services”.

I'm fairly certain this is legalese for "we will comply with the NSA/law enforcement when we have to", but if this is indication that the OS actually is logging details about personal files and the content of drives, that's pretty egregious. I would go as far to say that is unacceptable. I wonder if anyone will be able to do some probing and figure out what exactly the OS is doing in the background and what sorts of things it phones home with.

7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I and many people I know am very happy to pay for an OS that doesn't do this ****. In an attempt to reinvent itself, Microsoft is really putting a lot of effort into alienating their old core market with Windows 10.

I totally disagree that this is the price of a connected world. This is the price of wanting stuff for free, corporate irresponsibility combined with an ignorance amongst the majority of people of what is done with their personal information. Some people just accept it as the way things are but it's a consequence of how people have chosen to use the connected world, not a consequence of the network itself.

The day when I run Linux draws ever nearer. As soon as somebody creates an alternative to Direct X, Windows will be redundant for PC users. I don't think Microsoft actually cares to be honest.

Given that Microsoft, like Yahoo, Facebook and Google will have cosy arrangements with the US defence services and all the information they gather will get passed on, I wonder if non-US governments will be able to use Windows 10, it might drive them towards Linux too.

ps. I don't have a smartphone

8. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Worried about privacy? Don't connect to the internet, job sorted :thumbup:

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    well, on droid you can use Xposed (root required) with many modules capable to alter anything droid does.
    I love module which simply revokes any application right you do not want it to have.
    So you installed that app which can read your contact list, make calls and stuff because you wanted that one feature others did not have? Easy, just take away those right you do not want it to have.

I would be more worried about M$ accessing intellectual property. I wonder if you go to firewall settings and take away right of certain spyware processes to access internet if OS gives them back.

10. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    Yea, maybe you can block some stuff, but 99.9% of the users wont, because they dont know how to root or whatever.

In the end, you have to pay for your stuff one way or another... It doesnt matter how. When you are connected to the internet, you basically forfeit your privacy. Even if you can block some applications from accessing your stuff, your personal information/data is still all over the internet.

11. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    This does not bug me at all & beside if your worry about privacy, stop doing things you should not be doing in the first place. your privacy has been gone a long time ago when *you open your smartphone contract, when you sign with your ISP for Internet, when you move to a new home or apt, when you open a bank account, when you open a credit card, when you shop online, etc.*

I got used to this that I stop to care a long time ago.

12. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    so, what ur saying is, if i "Value my right to Privacy" im automaticly a person who does things he shouldnt do in teh first place?

really? thats ur argument...?

jeeez

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It is a pretty tired argument, but people laying down and accepting defeat is pretty standard these days, and they have to justify it somehow.

All I'm saying is that data mining is just a product of companies looking to get that "edge" on each other and find the next big thing. It's been going on for a while. If you use the internet at all, your search results and page visits have been logged for someone to use. Yes, the implications are dire, especially if a company messes up, gets hacked, or an intelligence agency wants to look into you for some arbitrary reason. I agree that everyone should have the right to privacy, but at the same time, if you are plugging into the world, you have to accept the trade offs that come with it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah that really is bad,
    not a very good outlook on privacy

15. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    Stuff like this will only get worse. Facebook generation etc. :puke2: Thank god there's still some people who value their privacy. Win10 will get a small partition sectioned off on one of my HDD's purely for DX12 games, everything else I do outside of those few DX12 games will be done on Linux.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Just don't look up "how to" guides on joining ISIS and you should be safe. :bounce:

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It all depends what your person data is used for, if it's stuff like this then it's entirely irrelevant to me so of no importance.

I do have lots of privacy worries, but at the end of the day they aren't big enough that it makes me go completely offline, so they can't be that big a worry.

18. Warboy

Warboy Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 2080 Ti
    I'm selling tin foil hats for 5 dollars, Still cheaper than most DLC.

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So...something being blown out of proportion for no reason? got it.

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Best turn the PC off entirely.
    I suggest one of these.

[​IMG]