5820k auto over clock

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by W@w@Y, Jul 27, 2015.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Asus x99-a
    Gskill ripjaws 2400
    Cooler master seidon 120v plus

Hi all,my specs as above.

I would just like to check, on load my processor auto clocks at 4.125ghz and I don't even remember doing any over clocking settings. I do remember flicking a small switch at the bottom of the mobo but apart from that I didn't set any over clocking.

My question is if its normal and considered a slight oc only. I'm in a hot and humid country and my cooler, again is entry level.are there temps and volts I should note?

I don't really have time to "play" with my system as I'm very busy with work and family commitments so I just want a very stable setup as much as possible.I understand the new processors have some boost technology but I reckon going from 3.3 stock to 4.125 sounds big?I've no idea as I'm coming from an old setup i7 950 where I didn't have uefi bios and these boost technology when I was still versed in over clocking

Thanks

And can you guys recommend me any system monitoring software?

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    That was probably the TPU switch which is basically an auto overclock of your turbo boost.As long as heat isn't an issue which you can check with Real Temp or others like it it shouldn't be a problem.You can always switch it back.

3. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Yep I read the manual and set the following enabled

You cpu bclk and ratio boost
    Epu enabled
    Ez xmp enabled

Is this recommended?

Any temp and voltage I should be wary of?

4. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    at what temps does heat become an issue?

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  6. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20

Ive read that and its nothing new here, common knowledge to the hardcore overclockers.

Like ive said for the 20th time on here, not cooling the mosfets or vrms while overclocking will destroy or seriously degrade your hardware over a short amount of time. Just because you have a big Oc on your cpu and your temps are ok does not mean that the Vrm's are ok temp wise. Power delivery to the cpu comes from the mosfets yet 90% of people disregard them or don't actually understand how it works hence the oc failure and potential damage in some cases. Ive been harping on about this for around 5 years now.

8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Dialled back the switches to the following

TPU switch set to "enabled" ratio
    EPU switch set to "enabled"
    EZ XMP Switch set to enabled

I ran the Intel Extreme Tuning utility 5 min stress test benchmark and got a maximum reading of 78c.

Im starting on a room temp of about 28c so my idle temps are at 35c

Or do I "disable" the switches?

9. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    On a side note, why does my system always have to go to UEFI during boot?
    For some reason, only my hard drive is detected as boot device so I need to go to boot menu and manually select my SSD to boot to windows

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^

You will have to change priority by boot menu (bellow is a list) in advanced uefi mode.

Those temps are somewhat ok, is that at 4.2ghz?

Idle should be a little lower, do you use balanced plan while in idle?
    If you enable c-states (default auto - disabled) and dynamic storage accelerator in uefi and in intel RST control panel., it will control it according to windows power plan (balanced C3, high perf. C0) and run even "cooler".

11. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Ok I'll try when I get back home

78c at 4ghz
    Out of curiosity, I disabled all switches and ran the test..none of the cores hit 60c

For some reason my boot devices can only see 1 drive at a time
    .then my main ssd does not show.. I switched sata plugs around, even my steam ssd showed up lol
    .I guess I need to do more testing for this boot cos anyway my hdd is for storage only