Think I'm Going Water

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by wrathloki, Jul 7, 2015.

1. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    So I'm going to start researching this stuff but I'd really appreciate some advice and maybe links to some good tutorials for a first timer. Also wondering what the best coolers, tubing, pumps and radiators out there are. Also what are some good cases for water? This HAF 932 seems like overkill for water, a smaller setup would be nice. Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help you can give me.

2. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    What do you plan on cooling and what's your budget?

Here's a full list of JayzTwoCents watercooling stuff, I loved his videos. Very informative. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOXo4ndvQK79n8Zv28IZ0ASaSEpJOB0iQ

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The Haf 932, overkill? Youve got to be joking, its seriously crap.
    The Corsair Graphite 760T is a good case and nice size for good custom loop. So is the 750D and the bigger 900D.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you're going water, smaller definitely is NOT better..... You have no idea how much space a proper watercooling setup requires if you think you can get away with a small case.....lol

My next case will be the Graphite 760T.....just so I have some room inside the case for radiators....

5. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Agree with both of these guys.

I have a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe which is a full tower case and even though it can hold a 420mm up top and a 240mm on the bottom or front, it's still a tight fit to get everything mounted. Especially if you plan on running dual graphics cards.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Went with the Corsair 900D mentioned above. It is a f*cking huge case, it's more like a seperate piece of furniture... but I'm happy I did it (actually having to rearrange my living room furniture), since first of all you can use bigger / thicker rads, and second, you have an easier time assembling. Going smaller only makes it more complicated, mind that. If you still want to go as small as possible you'll have to fiddle :D

7. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
  8. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I plan on cooling my CPU and GPU for now. I'm not sure about cooling my mobo. Is it worth it? I can't seem to find any full cover blocks for this board. How much of a pain is it to cool each area separately?
    Well I am new to this, which is why I'm asking advice. I had no idea. Now I know.
    That is certainly awesome but probably a lot more work than I want to do. Guess I'll have to stick with the bigger case.

Another question: Does the memory stay cool without a CPU fan blowing across them? My memory has fins but don't know if that's enough.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Going for the monoblock means you have less openings / fittings to leak, and also, most likely less restriction in your loop. As I've done my first watercooled build from scratch, with the cooling options in mind, I can't really answers that question, because I've chosen the mainboard because there was a monoblock for it.

I'm now running without a CPU fan of course, and my 3GHz DDR4 does not run warm at all. I'm not sure if DDR3 do get that hot, I never owned any of those that really overclocked or had a heat spreader on them. Are you overvolting your RAM? If so, chances are increased that they might get warm (although I've got a feeling it's not that much of a problem if you have decent case airflow besides your watercooling loop).

10. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    I feel it's not worth it. It's especially not worth it if you can't find full cover blocks for it. I certainly wouldn't spend the extra money on a motherboard that has a full cover block plus the cost of the block.

Yes your memory will stay cool. Your case will still have ventilation as air is still being moved in. Instead of exhausting normally it's just being exhausted through a radiator.

11. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    I wouldn't worry about your memory. Never had a problem with that myself. For first water cooling set up I would keep it simple and just do CPU, GPU. Full board blocks I'm a bit mixed on. I think you get better cpu cooling on a stand alone cpu block, and there are no more fittings to use unless you insist on water cooling your motherboard seperatly. If you are set on doing mobo and cpu then there is a convenience and ease of set up benefit to using them though.
    However, I've not really felt the need to watercool recent motherboards as the latest chipsets run reasonably cool and in the past I've only had limited benefit.

There is another reason to cool motherboard/ram.etc though - it can look awesome if you do it right :D

12. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    What kind of radiator set up would you recommend for my CPU and GPU? Double-triple?

13. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Definitely a triple dual pass (circa 60mm thick) rad. I think just a dual on its own would be pushing it a bit.

14. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    What's the model of choice for those? Also I'm assuming I have to use the EK Titan X block for my GPU atm? What's a good CPU block?

15. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    For radiator I would use the XSPC RX360 which is a great rad. The Thermochill ones are also very good.
    For your Ti the ek titan block is the only choice atm, but aqua computer have some on the way. Both would be a great choice, so id just grab an EK as they are available.
    There is a lot of choice with cpu blocks. I'm using an EK Supreme EVO which im really pleased with, but heatkiller do some good blocks, as do swiftech but having not used either of them for a couple of years I can't compare their current performance but I'm sure you can find some comparisons online.

16. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    So you'd recommend just the triple slot cooler? What kind of pump and reservoir would you recommend? Is fan control via the mobo suitable or are fan controllers a must? I know you're currently looking for tubing but would you happen to have a suggestion for a noob such as my self in terms of safety and ease of use?

Sorry about all the questions you just seem like a water cooling pro so you're probably the person to ask. I really appreciate the advice.

17. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    So,

Firstly on the tubing - stick with flexitube as its your first watercooling loop. Rigid tubing (as Im finding out) is a whole new level of complexity. Once your comfortable with your setup then you can consider moving. I personally prefer 1/2" ID tubing, which is bigger and can be a little harder to route smaller tubing theoretically offers higher flow rate. But I prefer the look of the 1/2" ID.

With radiators, you could add a second dual rad. Greater capacity never hurts, but you get diminishing returns the more radiators you add. A triple dual pass is the minimum I would go for though.

Pump, the DDC ultra pumps are great little pumps. Powerful enough and don't take a lot of space. You can also add custom tops to help head pressure/flow rate etc and they look a little nicer.

Reservoir - depends on what you want to spend. I love the Aqua Computer Aqualis tube res's. The build quality is stunning - they are actual glass reservoirs and they have a feel of weight and quality too them which is better than most. They are very expensive though in comparison to other options, and in terms of functionality essentially do the same job as a standard EK tube res.
    The other question you have to answer is if you want a tube res or a bay res. This will largely depend on your case layout and which case you end up with.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  18. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Alphacool DDC ultra? What kind of fittings work best with the flexitube? Also what kind of flexitube? There are a lot of choices out there.

19. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    You should consider the Enthoo Primo for your case. I love mine. I've got a 480mm in the top and a Monsta 360mm in the bottom. Loads of room for everything and looks great. Was very easy to make a nice clean build in.

20. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    DDC Ultra is really the type of pump. Lots of brands offer them, but with their own tops, so you can get an EK DDC Ultra for example. Exactly the same pump, just with a different top. Alternatively you can just by the DDC Ultra by itself (made by Liang like this: http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/12V-Laing-DDC-1T-Ultra-18W-Swiftech-MCP355_91.html) and then get a top separately.
    I'm using a DDC Ultra with an aqua computer top (this one: http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Aquacomputer-Aquacover-DDC-Pump-Top-for-LaingSwiftech_4156.html) as it lets me reverse inlets and outlets -very useful feature in a space constrained case such as my Parvum.

In terms of tubing, tygon is thought of as the best as its a bit softer and so less prone to kinking and very clear, however its more expensive. It also has an issue with mayhems dye which causes leaching. This would be fine if you stay away from mayhems coolants.
    Alternative XSPC is pretty good, much cheaper, not too stiff but is slightly cloudy to look at.
    Fittings you can use compression fittings (e.g. bitspower) which can get expensive but look v.nice or just standard barbs with hose clamps which do the job just as well and are much cheaper.