As of now, PS4 - 23 millions consoles sold, Xbox One 13 million, Wii U 9.7 million

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Serotonin, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Incredibly accurate numbers, no sources.

As far as i've seen only sony provide actual numbers sold, the other two are just numbers shipped, and microsoft play very loose with the stock levels whereas nintendo keep it quite tight.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Sony won this round? who gona win next round? llool

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I know in Japan the Xbox one is selling horribly with in 1 week they managed to sell only 100 units.

It is only rumors that the NX is coming out some time in 2016. It could be at least late 2017.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Let's look at the past.

PS1 came into the market strong.

PS2 had time before the Xbox and the Gamecube, even after the release of both and considered the weakest of the three, the PS2 still sold well.

PS3 had a bad start. It was late to the game, released not in a holiday season, very expensive at launch, and developers did not know how to code for the CELL. It also did not have a very mature online system like Xbox Live. Now once holiday seasons hit, and Sony got the PS3 at a lower cost point, it started to sell more. They introduced Playstation Now, which also helped out for online play. Developers quickly learned how to program for CELL. The PS3 finally started to sell!

Let's look at the current generation now. The PS4 came out before the Xbox One, has similar specs, and has an attractive price point.

6. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    PS2 holds record I believe for best selling console ever.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The PS2 is the best selling home games console of all time, by a pretty huge margin. Even beats out hand held devices.

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    200 million I believe? For PS2?

I had two points to this post. 1.) Sony is kicking some tail and 2.) Wii U isn't as horribly off as people are making it out to be - yes it had a head start, yes the user base should be larger, but by no means is it at a point to abandon ship imo.

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    155 million for ps2

154 million for DS

10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I can't see either of those being topped

11. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    The PS4 has sold 3-4 million more than the PS2 for the first 19 months, but still a long way to go.

12. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Yes didn't PS2 hit 100 million in first 5 years?

13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I honestly think the main reason the 360/ps3 sold slower when they were "new" was the lack of hdtv user migration in 2005/2006. Even when I bought a 360 in 06' I bought the vga hook up and played it on my CRT at the time. The only reason I chose the 360 over the ps3 was because MS offered this solution if you didn't have an hdtv.

I really don't think the current consoles, ps4 especially are selling so fast because of what they offer, lets be honest, both systems have been pretty lackluster in the exclusives department and even worse in the exclusives worth playing department.

The difference this generation? Hdtv's are in way more homes so people aren't clinging to the older systems like they were in 2005.

For a good portion of customers, back in 2005, buying a Xbox 360 or PS3 meant also buying a $500 to $1,000 HDTV.

I barely watch television, the PC gamer in me only cared about how good my monitor was. I didn't buy an HDTV until 2009.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The PS3 had one distinct advantage that won a lot of people over, mind you -- that being the Blu-Ray player. The actual console itself was cheaper than many dedicated Blu-ray players of the time, which made it an absolute bargain for those who actually had HDTV's. I think that probably helped sales of the console as HDTV's became more popular.

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    The other one being the hard drive as standard, I think that made a big difference in the long run.

Just imagine how different it would have been had the ps3 had a joint memory pool of 512mb like xbox, likely would have been the favoured console in most games.

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Definitely.

Microsoft didn't make it easy or cheap for people to upgrade their hard drives, or add them for that matter. It was a cakewalk for PS3 owners, and as you said the drives came as standard anyway.

Also, speaking as someone that owned both consoles, the PS3 was a much higher quality product. The early 360's felt cheap as hell, I've never thought that about any of the PS3 releases.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Exactly it was a slow migration form SD to HD and I see this with 4K TVs since they are kind of pricey even though they have come down in price. Also when I first got my PS3 Slim I had to play it on a CRT TV with the standard composite cables.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I will maintain they released the current generation too soon. This is purely down to lack of 1080p 60fps, no DDR4, no 4k hdcp output, no SATA 3, no blu-rayUHD and so on and so forth.

They were out of date before when they shipped, and reek of cheapness and lack of commitment to the console market, and fear in the face of tablets and smartphones - both of which outsell the entire last console generation every year. Think about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to further the point, let's look at how M$ is doing with its smart-phone acquisition and handling of Nokia:

[​IMG]

and now let's have a look at iPhone and just the iPhone.

[​IMG]

So, just Apple which do not have the entire market sold last year more iPhones than Sony sold PS2's in total, which furthers my point: This generation is a low-risk movement by each vendor due to fear of mobile and everything that it brings.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  19. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Do we have a console hate post? Yes!

Does PS4 sell like hot cakes? Yes!

Does cheaper easy to use stuff sell better than high price niche stuff? Yes!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    yet, smartphones are more expensive than consoles - but sell more. Not kicking your point, but I'd like to ask why people here think this is?