Review: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review we look at the ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX. The product comes factory overclocked at great levels and has got that all new three fan cooling. Albeit not the best performing cooler, it...

Review: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX

2. NamelesONEMail

NamelesONEMail Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti Extreme
    Uhm .... what ? ... I am somewhat dissapointed ... 82*C ? when the Gigabyte one is at 69*C ? and its not even more silent or higher performing (actual perf in games) ... this makes me sad ... was expecting MUCH more from the new cooler with its 3 fans.

I was kinda planning to get a GPU that I can later watercool so I wanted the best performing one and SO ... I've got a question:
    Will they be releasing waterblock for the Gigabyte G1 and for this ASUS STRIX ? or should I just wait for the EVGA Classified since I know for certain that one is gonna have waterblock(s) :)

3. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Not the overclockability I wss hoping to see but the extra phases and the proven superior build quality of asus products make this the most attractive card yet (to me).

4. digitalforce

digitalforce Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    Honestly, this round, I still like the G1 and AMP Extreme best. I just sold my G1 as I have my AMP Extreme on 1550 core stable at 68C load. Unreal!

5. Davud

Davud Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    Great review.
    For those who would complain about the high temps: DCU coolers are designed to 1- be silent 2- be cool. So silent comes first. If you want cool, just increase the fan speed!!
    ASUS GPU TWEAK software is great to control and monitor the temp/fan speed combination.
    I'm not comfortable with 70+ degrees on GPU, so I usually set the fan speed manually. The noise increase is negligible (compared to my whiny watercooler!!).

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Good honest review. This is my least favorite custom 980ti so far. Not a fan of the cooler, it kinda looks cheap. Also doesn't overclock as well as some other custom cards but I understand it's a silicon lottery. Still, there's better options out there, with better cooling.

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    When it comes to custom GPUs I care a LOT more about cooling than noise and that's because I already have a very noisy rig with 11+ fans and I rather have the overclocking headroom especially now in a hot summer. I do like the visuals on this one, but there are definitely better performing options out there for a 980Ti.

8. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    thanks for the reveiw, looks nice but temps are too high and its bit pricey £650 , some the other custom coooler models are £550

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Doesn't seem as good as the other aftermarket 980ti products - high temperatures & low overclocking. Don't think they'll be many buyers of this board after people read this article!

10. ScreamerRSA

ScreamerRSA Member

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 TUF OC
    G1 wiping the floor with the opposition once again.

I could kinda see these high temps coming for the Asus. The leaked picks of the cooler, it looked like the outer heat pipes don't even make contact with the rest and the GPU almost misses the contact area :/

11. Iras

Iras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 980Ti AMP! Extreme
    Nothing impressive. If you want to see Impressive.....Check the Zotac AMP! Extreme at 1.253 GHz base....and when Overclocked at 1500 GHz++, it's out of this world. It creams the Titan.

Get two of those cards in your machine and you're playing 150 FPS+ on 1440p. Get four of those in your machine, you're playing 150 FPS on 4K.

Amazing card for amazing price.

12. Lina Inverse

Lina Inverse Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 G1
    much lower load temperature on review studio's website

13. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    That is one hot puppy!

14. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    Well that's annoying, they're 300.5mm in length which means I wouldn't be able to fit a second one in my case because of the drive cage. :(

Looks like if I want to go SLI this time, it will have to be the MSI 980Ti, as their cards are only about 280mm.

..Shame, as I usually go with ASUS, but I'm not going to change my case for it.

15. AStaUK

AStaUK Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti
    Little surprised at the temps, thought with 3 fans it would run cooler. But happy to hear it's near silent under load, which is what I'm more interested in.

I have one on pre-order and will still happily go ahead with the order. But then it's being done through work contacts and I'm paying nowhere near RRP.

16. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    Asus always put low fan rps setting in the bios. usually around 53 % max fan speed. That usually can be changed easily with MSI afterburner or GPU tweak.

17. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I guess the baord partners have noticed the instability with overclocks and the latest drivers on everyday use and have backed down with their stock OC frequencies a bit. It's probably a smart move.

18. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Hilbert, why am I seeing around 70 degrees Celsius load temps from other reviews and yours is around 80? Also the idle temps are oddly high. Even 50% fan speed in other reviews shows 71 or so max load temp. Sorry I'm just trying to figure this out and have a few questions, which are as follows;

1) What percentage max fan speed are you using? It must be set quite low...

2) What % is the cards stock max fan speed? (might be in review, didn't see it)

3) Is this card overclocked from the stock boost?

4) Why the heck are the temps so high!? lol... drivers?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  19. Noufel

Noufel Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    Too late asus i pulled the trigger on a 980ti G1 sli :D

20. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Thinking I might change my pre-order and get the G1 at the moment also... at least its available.