Realtek to use Dragon 8118AS NICs against Killer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Motherboard manufacturer ECS is releasing Series 170 motherboards equipped with Realtek-Dragon network jacks. Realtek will release this product aimed against the KillerNIC from Aetheros....

Realtek to use Dragon 8118AS NICs against Killer

2. Glasofruix

Glasofruix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    To be honest the killer nic is not that great, the software is pure garbage and causes more problems that it's supposed to solve (couldn't play GTA online until i got rid of it and installed the bare driver).

3. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    LOL same as me exactly.

I had to install the stand Alone driver for the network card to work properly!

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    There's more than one review on the net clearly stating that the killer chip does not help networking performance by any significant amount. That's all just marketing I guess.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I still have yet to try one of those "killernic" cards, i probably never will either short of the MOBO comes with but with recently realizing how bad realtek drivers are. *Cough, 5 year long HW acceleration system locks with it on issue do to 5 years of broke audio drivers Cough*.

My next Mobo will be intel nic and creative audio onboards, Never mind the fact Realtek driver updates dont even explain what they fixed/changed and never have as far as i remember.

Atlest sony update for the console give "stability update" and there bad with notes too best i seen from realtek is "added" support for XXXXX.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Those gaming NIC's really don't do anything that a regular NIC isn't able to.
    And what the software does is also available both as freeware as paid software.
    I rather use onboard Intel NIC's than one of these cards, I have a Killer Xeno Pro which was a replacement for the onboard NIC on an NVidia chipset board, but with the boards after that it became rather useless, plus that a descent Intel NIC will do the same job.

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I don't understand why they even bother with KILLER NIC lol. It's totally gimmick BS.

There's no NIC on the planet that can increase speeds over what already exists.

It's like that kid on YT that says he can increase your download/upload speeds by wrapping a second Ethernet cable around the first one.

8. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    I bought CFos Speed for my gaming machine. It does a good job of reducing latency in online gaming by using packet priority.

http://www.cfos.de/en/cfosspeed/cfosspeed.htm

You can occasionally get it on sale or find a coupon. I think I paid $10 for it.

I think some Mobo makers (MSI?) include a stripped-down version of it.

[EDIT] Doh! Says right on that web site "cFosSpeed is the official Internet Accelerator for ASUS, GIGABYTE, ASRock and MSI gaming products".

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  9. Glasofruix

Glasofruix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    That looks like the thing that was bundled with my msi mobo which has the aforementionned killer nic.

10. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I prefer Intel NIC, just works even with generic drivers

11. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    when I see news about nics I expect a 10gb port at least, we've been stuck with 1gb for ages now

12. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    I dont think those programs are related to Killer NIC specifically, but Im not certain.