Review: Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung is going big, we review the new 2TB (terabyte)Â*Samsung 850 EVO which launches today. We review the 2TB verion of this stunning series that offers enthusiast class speed but is competitive in ...

Review: Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SSD

2. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Isn't the internal cache 2GB DDR3 on the 2TB EVO?

3. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    Hilbert....Great Review (as always) but I think the pricing per GB needs to be updated....I just picked up a 500gb 850EVO for £120 which works out at around 169 euro's and Amazon's recent 'steady' price has been £135 or 190 euros....working out at 38p per GB.

I know its nothing much...but the price of SSD are coming down and it would be better to give people a more accurate cost per GB....

4. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Nice review, Hilbert! Dat price though.... damn.... hopefully we'll see some price drops for the 1TB version, but I doubt we will since the competition is poor.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Will have a look at that, cheers.

6. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Well the 500GB variant here in Portugal is 215€, and given the fact that the prices for hardware here are overpriced, i say globally the price is well below the 249€ stated in your review boss. :)

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Actually it depends a bit per region (VAT) + the OEM version are cheaper (just the SSD), the retail kits with install kit etc are up-to 20~25 bucks more expensive on top of that. But I'll switch the prices to the most simple SKUs.

8. Yasin

Yasin Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX780
    Nice review, however at the last page it is stated that the endurance of this ssd is 300TBW. According to samsung this is only true for the 850pro version. The evo has an endurance of 150TBW:
    "Samsung guarantees the 2TB 850 PRO for 10 years or 300 terabytes written (TBW), and the 2TB 850 EVO for five years or 150 TBW."

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Correct, the 2TB - 850 Pro is rated 300TB/10 years warranty and the EVO 150TB with 5 years warranty. I've changed the last page to reflect that better.

10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    These days, though, you can buy 1TB, 7200 rpm drives with 3-5-year factory warranties, for $50-$60. (Retail drives, not OEM.) That's really the metric to use. That is 5-6 cents per gig...;) Even at your price that's still ~600% more per gig/drive...('course I'm using dollars here and may be a bit off your numbers.)

I have an EVO 850 250GB drive I use at home as a boot drive (Windows & utilities & drivers)--love it, it's great. Everything HH says about them is true, as I know you will agree. One of my other drives is like the above-described drive, and in normal AHCI service (not RAID 0) the drive will transfer up to 130MB/s--RAID 0 would peak @ ~2x that performance, so I think for many the question is: do I want to buy a 2TB drive for ~$800 that will max out @ ~500MB/s, or twin 1TB 7200 rpm drives in RAID 0 for $120 that max out at half the max transfer speed of the SSD...?

I think SSDs have a ways to go before they can be considered "mainstream"...but that time might not be all that far off...;) I can foresee WD madly scrambling to get into the SSD business; but I think it will be awhile before the storage capacity and prices equal those available in mechanical platter drives. But in ten years...? Difficult to foresee any mechanical drives being sold, frankly--barring a couple of substantial breakthroughs in platter-drive manufacturing that of course have yet to materialize.

11. PaulBags

PaulBags Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GT240 OC 1GB
    Could we get some editing going on please? Confusing & misspelled info on which drives uses what controller (maybe this could be in the specs table?), conflicting info on the TBW between page 1 and the specs table, page 2 calls this the 500GB review, etc etc.

I'll come back in a day or two, hopefully the article will be coherent by then.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  12. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    150000GB/2000GB =75 :3eyes:

so it has 75 PE cycle endurance???

is my math wrong?

13. LBJM

LBJM Guest

GPU:
    latest green team
    A test you should do is use is install a bunch of games to the 850 EVO and only play a few of the games at a time and then a few months later play a game that has sat dormant on the drive and look to see how quickly the game loads. The "fix" that samsung came up with my EVO 840 1TB only lasts for a short period of time and than the data will go back to slow access time if you don't use it. A simple benchmark run really doesn't cut it these days with SSD, the need to incorporate tests down the road should be a must to show longevity.

14. mrbofus

mrbofus Guest

GPU:
    -
    "Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SSD review - Specifications & Features"

"So the sample that has arrived in our secret test facility is the 500 GB version of the drive."

Ummmm...what?? You can't review a 500GB drive and say that you reviewed the 2TB version! Come on...

15. Laci

Laci Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    In Serbia and Hungary I can get the 500 GB version in a price range from 210-240 EUR.

16. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I'd better waited just bought a 500gb 850evo a month ago.

17. Laci

Laci Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Well, you never know with technology.. If you wanna wait, then you won't buy anything.

Enjoy your new SSD, mate :)

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    These days what I'd be worried the most with Samsung still is long term performance... sure, that test Hilbert did is great, but does it really show how the drive is going to perform in two or three years? Mind you, I made the mistake of buying two 840evo drives, that's why I'm wondering....

19. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You just need a fully-fledged backup plan. I've had so many hardware failures that without backup, it would prevent me from sleeping. Even RAID1 won't help if that's RAM which decides to betray you.

Just now I use CrashPlan Family, Syncthing for quick distribution of some frequently used data, remote code repositories, the most of non-sensitive documents on OneDrive, printed backup of authenticator generator keys (kept by a trusted person), and a spare HDD with a working environment for quick swap in case SSD in my work lappy dies unexpectedly. The "sad" part is that I benefited from all of them.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Of course you're right, nothing is able to beat a proper backup plan and such hardware. But in my humble opinion, manufacturers should work on making their products reliable, and not making me buy another of such disks. That's bad for their business (why sell one costly thing when you can sell two), but then again, I'd be a happy customer.

I'm lucky, I'm not really working on the computers I have to take care of, and because of that I'm not running into many basic ussies with reliability. My whole concern with Samsung is just, I never thought they'd actually sell a drive that loses performance in such a quick and noticable matter, since I'm fairly sure they test such stuff too to see how it behaves over time, and they are supposed to know that their 840evo drives have such decreases, before they bring such a product into stores.