Ubisoft chief: 'We learned from the mistakes we made with Watch Dogs'

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Extraordinary, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    [​IMG]
    Ubisoft says it was perhaps too ambitious with its cyberpunk thriller Watch Dogs , and has since changed its approach to pre-release marketing

Guillemot said that reactions to the Watch Dogs demo had re-shaped the company’s approach to showing off pre-release games.

“With E3 2015 we said, OK, let’s make sure the games are playable, that they’re running on the target machines. When we show something, we ask the team, make sure it’s playable, make sure gamers can immediately see exactly what it is.

That’s what we learned from the Watch Dogs experience – if it can’t be played on the target machine, it can be a risk.”

Source:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/06/ubisoft-chief-mistakes-watch-dogs-yves-guillemot

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/watch..._to_change_policy_on_pre-release_footage.html

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Really? They are just now figuring this out?

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I know, that's why I thought it deserved a frontpage thread lol

Welcome to the 80s ubisoft

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It played like crap on the pc. I ended up buying it again for the ps4 just to play it properly.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Enabler. ;D

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    At least it was meant to be at 30fps-max and look mediocre on the ps4 :p

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I am more worried about the copy paste gameplay mechanics tbh

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    If they're actively trying to and do follow through with bettering their pre and post release model, then all the power to them. I love to have a reason to purchase Ubisoft games again.

If they re-released Unity with more interactive gameplay and stealth that matches Sc: Chaos Theory, id buy it in a flash. Unity, visually, is simply insane. But as long as their games remain to be nothing but changes in scenery from game to game and they continue to treat the Tom Clancy IP's as a childs play thing, then they can go stand in front of a train. I'll even stand there with them...like co-op gameplay.

9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Someone go dig up all those previous "Yeh we screwed PC so we're going to fix it next time" PR BS from UBI-S H I T E and add this one to the lists. No thanks.

Wait for final reviews but won't expect any changes. Nice troll attempt UBI-S H I T E

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I sure am lol

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    We should give Ubisoft some slack, they learned their mistakes, haha. :D

Cant wait to see how will they ruin The Division.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Waits for inevitable downgrade on promises.

Patch 1.1000 addresses chronic bull****.

13. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Ubisoft is like Lennie from Of mice and men.

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ubisoft are the 'News of the World' of game developers.

15. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

You guys do realize the target machines they are talking about are consoles right? I think all this quote means is that from now on, PC versions will be even worse.

i.e Future UBI PC games will have visual parity with the XBONE.

16. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    If Ubisoft learned from their mistakes with Watchdogs then how the f*** did they let the AC Unity debacle happen?

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    IMO Target machines means target machines, so if they show a preview of the PC version, it will be running on a PC, if they show console footage, it will be running on a console

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thats fine imo. A working product is better than one that looks pretty but is broken.

The PC community needs to get past this expectation of console focused devs treating the PC like a delicate flower. If they were CDP, Id be a little annoyed, but they're Ubi and their bread and butter is in the consoles. If dialing back the gfx and or game worlds means stable fun playable games, who the hell is the PC community to complain?

Ubi havent been PC level gfx focused since the early 2000's. Those days are long gone.

19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Translation:

Please preorder R6:Usedtobegood and AC:Swindlecate because we need more of your money.

Fu!k you ubisoft, not a MFing dime.

20. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    I don't think UBI targets the PC for anything but promo bull shots and buggy leftovers. That's my opinion.

They've already said they downgraded assets globally in the division to be playable on consoles. for a visual reference of what that looks like see E3 2015 and the YT previews which were played this year on "target machines".

If you guys think this is done to make the games more stable that's your opinion. Personally, I am going to go by UBI's track record and assume it has more to do with more marketing reasons than anything else.

I am no expert you guys could be right for all I know, I am just stating my opinion.

I also think they are kind of full of it, since Ghost Recon was played on PC this year with Xbone controllers.....