Haswell-E Heatsink size ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by jonerkinsella, Jul 5, 2015.

1. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    Hi .

Can someone here please tell me the size of the heatsink lid on a 5820 . I have one on the way and think I might need to get a new cooler as I'm not sure my old one has a large enough cpu contact area . I have an Asus Royal Knight cooler that I love and see no reason to change it ( my overclocking days are over :) ) . The cooling contact surface of the cooler is 3 x 3.5cm .

I have searched high and low for this information on the net without success :bang:

Thanks lads.

2. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    That cooler will be enough to run your CPU at stock speed, but is only compatible with 775 and AM2/939
    If your good with tools your probably can build a mouting plate with a piece of aluminium, in 2011 socket is easy because you don't need a backplate and use M4 screws

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  3. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I can make up the bracket to fit it to the 2011 mobo ... I'm really worried at the size of the contact area on the cooler though ,as it just about fits a 3770 ,and looking at the size of the 5820 in comparison to the 3770 ...I could be in trouble .

Has anyone got a chip they can measure ?

4. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    You only really need to cover the area directly above the die, though a little more never hurts.

All Haswell-Es have the same die, so it is 17.6mm x 20.2mm
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/the-intel-haswell-e-cpu-review-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested

Judging from this,
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-core-i7-5960x-de-lidded-haswell-e-uses-soldered-tim,3.html

Looks like it is almost completely centered.

I personally would just recommend a cheap tower cooler to save the troubles of making the new bracket. Plus, if you are planning on using AVX enabled programs, you might need a bigger cooler (I overheat with a H110 when encoding videos, though lightly overclocked to 4.3). A 212X is only $30 on Amazon, though I don't really know how it compares to the ASUS.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015

5. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    Thanks for the reply.

I am coming around to the conclusion that I just have to cover the actual chip and not the lid . The cooler I have looks like it will do this no probs.

I can make up a bracket no probs as I have the materials and tools around . The brackets for mounting to different screw onto the hs.

I want to keep the cooler I have as its a top down cooler that cools the mobo ,ram and mosfets . Its quite expensive to find a replacement that fits the bill . It scores very good against other coolers as its a 6pipe all copper design.
    http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/premium5-coolers-shootout-may2k9-part1-p1.html

Off I go to the shed now to toil :)

Thanks lads.