Frame rate control review

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by zer0_c0ol, Jul 5, 2015.

1. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  2. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    I'm fine with RTSS, but ty!

3. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC
    omg amd 55fps only on 300 series are you ****ing kidd me

4. Brisse

Brisse Active Member

GPU:
    na
    This is the worst implementation I could possibly think of.
    - A slider? Seriously?
    - Only a global setting.
    - 55 to 95 fps. Are you kidding me?
    - Limited artificially to certain GPU's

They should have put it in the game profile settings instead so that we can choose to have either a global setting or a game specific setting. It should have been a simple text input box (sliders don't work well with a huge range of numbers) and the limits should have been more like 1 to 9999 fps.

They completely screwed up this opportunity to create a useful fps limiter in the catalyst control center.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Per game, all cards, and a 20-160 limit would make much more sense. But we are talking about the same people that don't test features like these for their top card of 19 months ago, and who still don't have a properly functioning Vsync (or double, or quadruple vsync), or triple buffering implemented. It's getting sadder and sadder lately. :look:

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Framelimiter is visible now in my CCC with 1023.7 flashed to 280 but it doesn't do anything :D

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    So, a bios flash made it appear. Who would have guessed. :D Here it works with the 1040 driver.

8. Brisse

Brisse Active Member

GPU:
    na
    I'm on Windows 10 TP build 10162 with the latest AMD driver from windows update. I unlocked the feature in the windows registry, but it does not seem to do anything. Tried several games, but frame-limiter has not worked in any of them.

Edit: Found one where it's actually working. Arma 3.

Edit2: Alt-tabbing and changing the catalyst frame-limiter setting does sadly not apply until you restarted the game :(

Edit3: It works in Assetto Corsa but it seems to cause stuttering, unlike the games own frametime limiter which works perfectly.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Another "magic" trick like VSR for 7000 series miracle!

Don't forget that like VSR the frame limiter in your card is an inferior solution because you lack the NEEDED "hardware" and your "software" solution is inferior!

LOL

:D

10. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    i get a feeling that all amd do lately is add features to boost sales of there current top generation cards and screw the other cards , but wait with hacks and tweaks they can work on lower tier cards... makes me also think that is true that all there doing is boasting sales of there top cards...

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yes, VSR with 280 BIOS is better than 7950 BIOS, better textures and shadows and more FPS :D

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    LMAO

You make my day!

:D

13. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Oh my. I didn't expect AMD to mess up a simple feature like this so badly.

Oh wait, I did.

Luckily, there are many alternative ways to limit the frame rate, all of which are superior and work on pretty much all hardware (RadeonPro, Dxtory, MSI Afterburner and the good ol' fashioned FPS_Limiter).

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    No wonder at all.

There is a rumor:

There is an allied effort between AMD driver Tiger Team and new AMD PR Pussy Team to fool us and sell us some brand "new" 390(X) GPUs.

15. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Care to share the BIOS?

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Here it does the same too. Seems more stuttery than RadeonPro's. You know, the limiter made by a single guy. That works for all cards. With no FPS limit up or down. :look:

Is that working ok for you? It's nice to hear! :D If you have some stable clocks, I can make you a proper OC bios, so that you won't need Afterburner any longer. The only thing I can't touch is the memory voltage, but it's not worth the extra stability dangers most of the time.

FPS_Limiter is not working on 64bit Windows 8.1, right? Is it still going stronk? :D

Send me your bios, and we'll see what can be done :p

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The BIOS is working good. Framelimiter doesn't work at the moment.
    GPU: 1138mV 1100MHz Memory: 1250MHz those seem stable for me right now. GPU seems locked to 880MHz when running the overhead test.
    1050mV is a stable voltage for 960MHz.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  18. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    Yes the limits are not reasonable. If you have a FreeSync display for example, they should at least allow you to set it to whatever the min/max refresh rate of the display is.

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The frame limiter range is too narrow but some FreeSync monitors are not doing it better!

There are fantastic looking monitors failing to provide a wide range of avalaible frames.

As an example the LG 34UM67 (Ultrawide 21:9) has a FreeSync supported refresh rates between 48 and 75 Hz.

!!!!!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9118/lg-34um67-ultrawide-freesync-review

:bang:

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Another product released before it's time (FreeSync). 48 to 75Hz what the hell is that?