GTX 870m issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by kaiser22, Jul 3, 2015.

1. kaiser22

kaiser22 Guest

GPU:
    GTX870m
    Good day kind sirs! I'm having trouble with my GPU lately. 3d objects flickers using gtx870m but when i use integrated graphics card everything is ok. i have tried to install older drivers, update bios, complete wipe of driver then reinstall, tried it on windows 8.1 pro and windows 7 ultimate still the same and put it back to 8.1 but still the same. I hope this forum could help me as I have asked in toms and geforce forum but no reply. I also tried removing the gpu and putting it back.

I have a GT70 2pc Dominator 895us.
    I7- 4810mq
    Geforce gtx870m
    16gb ram

Here's a link to a video i made recording the problem.

https://youtu.be/flgXPpyaxJA
    https://youtu.be/f0dmJ9c9Sxk

i hope you guys can help me. :D

2. kaiser22

kaiser22 Guest

GPU:
    GTX870m
    Update*
    Updated my ec firmware but still the same. I also installed all latest drivers for the whole system and removed added ram (thought maybe this is causing conflict to the gpu) but still the same.

I hope anyone here can enlighten me. Thanks. ^_^

3. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Bad news man :( ... your GPU have artifacts, If the warranty still valid send the notebook to RMA.

4. kaiser22

kaiser22 Guest

GPU:
    GTX870m
    Unfortunately fot this unit 2ndhand without warranty. So this is not software problem? I'm looking on reflowing my gpu. What do you think??

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Thats going to be tricky, GPU is soldered on the motherboard.

If you try to reflow the whole motherboard it most likely won't survive.

6. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    This looks like a semi dead GPU :( You could try putting the entire mobo in the oven (GPU is soldered on the mobo) but ONLY as a last resort. Unless you can't use the laptop like you normally would (excluding gaming) I'd advise against doing it simply because it still functions.

7. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Don't put the entire mobo in the oven you will destroy it.
    Here's what to do this is a quick and simple fix to re-flow the solder but i can't guarantee how long it would last for.

Isolate the gpu on the mobo (i use cardboard to make a cone like shape about 7-10cm high to make sure heat does not go anywhere else)

Grab a hair drier set it at maximum (heat air) then place the hair dryer above the card board and turn on the hair dryer keep it steady and running for about 7-8 minutes
    to be on the safe side.

Now stop it and let it cool down re apply thermal paste and cooler and turn it on before you close it up again as it might need 10 to 15 minutes depending on the dryer you have.

That's all you can do for now, i have done this multiple times with success.

EDIT: Forgot to ask is this happening to your games as well not just the benchmarks? I also see that the gpu in your laptop is removable so you might be able to buy a new one.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  8. kaiser22

kaiser22 Guest

GPU:
    GTX870m
    Integrated gpu is working fine. Im having trouble with my gtx870m which is detachable. The mobo doesn't have to go thru the reflow also since i can detach the problematic gpu. ^_^

Thanks for the the advice thou. Appreciate it. :)

9. kaiser22

kaiser22 Guest

GPU:
    GTX870m
    Yup it happens in games also. I'll try your reflow process but with heat gun. Pro'lly make it 15mins just to make sure i dont have to redo the process. I have done it on ps3 and xbox, hopefully i get a success with this gpu.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  10. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Yes a heat gun is actually what i use and recommended but i have used a hair dryer before as well.
    I thought you have not done this reflow process again before, that's why i thought out of my head a quick fix with a hair dryer that i believe everyone has.
    Just be carefull on the amount of minutes 10 to 15 max should be ok.

Let as know how it goes:)

11. kaiser22

kaiser22 Guest

GPU:
    GTX870m
    Thanks. I hope this would fix the problem. Cross fingers. If all else fail there's always gtx970m