Gurus, I need your input on my next PC build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shoja, Jul 2, 2015.

1. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Hello everyone! You guys have always tweaked the hell out of my past builds, and I would like to go through that again, and possibly save some money again! lol

So I have a part list built on PC Part Picker website, and the total is ridiculous, ~$3000. I am sure you guys will have better part suggestions for lesser price, and I am ready to apply those suggestions! Only 3 things I really want to keep the same is the Monitor, GPU, and the Case. I am lineint on case if you can suggest a better case with a similar form factor; I really like that boxy look.

Here is the link to the list of parts I have put together:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zxk9dC

I am looking forward to your suggestions and recommendations, thanks! :)

My final build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zhNxvK

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Looks decent but drop the V300 SSD, those kingston V ssd's are pretty bad.

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I hope I can help ^^.

SSD
    For starters, I generally tend to avoid the V300 series because they have been infested with problems. However.. The 3k series is a different story. I have one on my laptop and it's going super strong. Recommended one to my brother and it's going strong as well. And the price is quite good.
    By the fact that I see a 240GB one and a 500GB one I suspect you plan to use the 240 one for the OS, no? In that case I wouldn't undercut performance. In other words I wouldn't sacrifice small amounts of money for a slower SSD.
    HyperX 3k 240GB sits at 110$.

Mainboard
    Now about the mainboard: I wouldn't buy an Asus X99-A. I'd get an Asrock X99 Extreme4, honestly. I cannot find a reason for the Asus' pricing. The Asrock board is 100$ cheaper and you get (please note not all of these are very relevant, max RAM capacity for example):

+ 12phase VRM vs 8phase on the Asus.
    + 128GB RAM vs 64GB.
    + Slightly higher (100MHz) RAM OC (if you're into that stuff).
    + More SATA3 ports (10 vs 8).
    + One eSATA port (Asus has none).

+/- Separate PS/2 connector for mouse/keyboard, Asus has a dual one.

- Asrock is lacking some switches that I honestly have no clue what they are, like EPU, EZ XMP, TPU switches.
    - Less USB 3.0 ports (4 vs 6).
    - No M.2 port (Asus has one).

The only thing I find attractive is the way the Asus looks. But that's not enough for me.
    Those 12 VRM phases really sound sexy to me. Although in reality they probably won't matter that much.

RAM
    About the RAM, the 2400MHz and 2800MHz Mushkin Blackline modules are cheaper and theoretically offer slightly more bandwidth compared to the one you chose. But the 2800 requires weirdish XMP bclk. You'll be running out of PCI-E spec but I don't think you'd care.
    The 2400MHz one is perfect for making up for the costs of a slightly more expensive SSD. So as a total you'll save 100$ on the mobo.

Since you said the GPU is not open to suggestions, I'll leave it there. I would probably be more tempted towards a G1 but it's your preference :). Both the AMP! and the G1 are seriously solid cards.

That's pretty much everything I would change. Your build looks solid and I wish you good fortune using it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  4. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Noted, and looks like xIcarus below has suggestion on that as well!

Thank you for the suggestions! So I updated the kingston SSD and the motherboard, but I am a bit lost on the ram. The ram I current have is lower in MHz, but it also has a lower CAS latency when compared to the ones you suggested. So which one is better, higher MHz or lower cas latency?

While we are at it, is it worth going DDR4 and latest gen CPUs(LGA2011-v3)? Because I was looking at MSI Z97A GAMING 7 LGA 1150, and it's not that bad in terms of specifications. How much of a performance impact I would take going a generation back? Because doing that will certainly lower my cost. My budget is $3000, but I wouldn't mind lowering it as much as possible!

For GPU, I would like to stick with 980ti, and the branding doesn't matter. I picked Zotac because the Guru3D review showed some promising numbers. So you think G1 would outdo Zotac's AMP Extreme?

Btw, here is the updated parts list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rxv3GX

5. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Generally RAM speed is quite situational and the benefit in gaming is close to none actually, unless you'll be using integrated graphics. Now the difference between the modules:
    2133MHz 11CAS vs 2400MHz 11CAS vs 2800MHz 16CAS.

Honestly, that 16CAS sounds very ugly and I'm pretty sure the performance is lower than the 2400MHz one now that I think about it. But I don't remember how to calculate the bandwidth.

Going one CPU generation back is not bad, but it depends on what you're doing. For example the 4790k has slightly better single threaded performance which some games prefer. 5820k on the other hand has slightly better multi threaded performance. If you render, compile and the likes, you might prefer 6 cores.

Personally, I'd get the 6-core just because I am a programmer by profession, 3D rendering is a hobby of mine and the same can be said about audio work. I would prefer a 6-core personally.

But if I were to build a rig for gaming, I probably would skip the 2011 socket altogether and go Haswell (4790k). And I'd get regular DDR3 memory which is cheaper. DDR4 especially is not really worth it the way I see it.

6. Wikus57

Wikus57 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 280x tri x
    A X99 based system is nice and all that but for gaming I would also suggest going haswell for sure and when selecting a board look for stuff on it that you not really going to use for ex bluetooth wi fi its nice to have but are you really gona use it is worth the extra $$ $..going with a 980ti you can't go wrong there witch one is up to your prefernece but I would also go with the g1 gaming from gigabyte moving one gen back on platform won't efect performance on you games and will save you a lot of money for some new games..cooling the 4790k I would go for corsiar h100i cooler and push that pupppy to 4.5ghz with a 980ti you good to go for sure have a look at msi gaming 7 motherboard or the asrock extreme 6 z97 I hope this helps and you enjoy your rigg

7. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Regarding RAM: really depends on what you play.

For games with large textures or assets, like open world games or hi res, faster ram with tons of bandwidth is better. Because you need to move a ton of data fast to update the rest of the game - ARMA 3, GTA, I suspect RAGE or IDTech megatexture games would benefit and Crysis.

For games that move a lot of small data sets, such as cpu calculations or client server, lower latency ram is better. Such as old school games like Doom, Duke Nukem, Warcraft, RTS games, or low resolution asset games...

They need more cpu and I/O time than raw bandwidth since its pure calculations and less rendering...

But it gets to a point where if you OC ram, say from 1600 MHZ to 2400-2800 MHZ, the raw bandwidth will make up for the latency.

There was a test done for ARMA3 where ram at 2000+ starts to increase FPS vs 1600... Guys with 2400-2800 MHZ ram gained 5-10 solid FPS. That is a lot just from RAM alone.

I think an ideal system would be Haswell cpu + Asrock MB (look at my sig - I was a diehard Asus guy from my FIRST PC and now I don't look back) and FAST RAM (as fast as you can afford).

If you buy ram less than 2000 MHZ, you can really just save money with 1600 MHz. Not a whole lot of difference which your cpu and gpu can make up for. But like I said, for large asset movement such as above, get 2400-3200 MHZ ram and it will make a bigger difference.

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    ^ I don't know what to think about what you said.

Let's assume your necessary assets are in the system RAM. They need to be loaded in the VRAM, logical isn't it? So the bottleneck should be the system's RAM which goes around 50GB/s at best in case of DDR4, right?
    No. Because a gen 3.0 PCI-Express bus with 16 lanes (16x) will cap your transfer at 16GB/s, effectively making your RAM speed obsolete if it's dishing out more than 16GB/s.

I cannot stress this enough, I am not saying you're wrong. But I fail to see how it could help. In the case of integrated GPUs, you don't have a PCI-Express bus to bottleneck your transfer so the benefit would be great. But we're talking about a dedicated GPU here. Could you show me some links to back your claims up?

LE: Thinking about it, ARMA 3 is a very CPU-intensive game isn't it? Maybe the higher bandwidth would help the CPU itself instead of the RAM. Which would mean you could be right about the performance gain, but not about the execution.
    What I'm saying is it won't help with textures, but purely with calculations.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  9. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Thank you guys. Based on the discussion and feedback, this is what I have come up with right now:

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I had to take out the monitor because I am not getting that right away.

Edit: PC Part Picker gives me this message for the RAM I have selected:

The G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

Do I need to change my ram because of the CPU's voltage? I am not very good in that area...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  10. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Honestly I'd go for slightly slower speeds that are guaranteed to run at 1.5v.

There's plenty of DDR3-2133 2x8GB 1.5v kits out there.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-997125

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32133c11d16gxl

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a2133c11

11. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I just added the G Skill you suggested. I am sticking to the color red to go along with my mobo.

Updated list: https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

So what do you all think? Am I in the green now? I will be ordering probably by the end of the month :)

12. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    You need to give us the permalink that PCPartPicker provides. The link you've given us only brings us to a blank page.

[​IMG]

That link.

13. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Apologies! Here you go:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QpsmZL

14. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    IDK exactly how you plan on using your hard drives, but if it were my build, I would go with a 250GB SSD as my Windows and programs drive, and a 1, 2 or 3TB WD Black for everything else. The extra cost of an SSD over a regular hard drive doesn't make up for the extremely small gains you receive for loading times.

I would also switch out the CX750 for an equivalent RMi, HXi or AXi series from Corsair. The CX only has a three year warranty as well as only being rated for 80 PLUS Bronze. The three I listed all have seven year warranties, 80 PLUS Gold or Platinum as well as better fans and better capacitors.

Besides those, everything else looks great.

15. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I was hoping to get some mind blowing gains in load times with an SSD, but I guess not? I replaced the secondary SSD with a 2TB WD Black HDD and replaced the PSU with 750W RM series.

Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R9NgjX

Am I good to go?

16. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Looks perfect to me!

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I just ordered some g skill 2666mhz ram at 1.65 which I will put in this rig so my son can have my current 2133. Else I would of just stuck with that.

18. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO

Thanks a lot!

I will be sticking to 2133 myself to stay at 1.5. Thanks!

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    +1

I was really impressed how fast the new standard form drives are. Even some relatively cheap Seagate 1TB drives I got recently give me 200mb read and write speeds on a single drive. That's perfectly fine for loading games. Or run a RAID array for nearly SSD speed at a fraction of the cost per GB.

Either way, unless you have money to burn (or it's no object), a nice 240GB SSD for the OS and Western Digital Black(s) or something similar for everything else.

20. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    That's the setup I run in all my computers and all the computers I spec/build for people. Always works out great.