OCZ Test panel Update - Month 3

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Three months ago we started a two year test, ten of our Guru3D forum members received a OCZ Storage Solutions Vertex 460A SATA3 480GB SSD, and we'll are tracking and monitoring them closely for at l...

OCZ Test panel Update - Month 3

2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I recently bought a Samsung EVO 850 250GB drive that's rated for 75TB's (minimum) & warrantied for five years. I haven't looked into these drives as much as I probably should have, but I'm already spoiled rotten by my 8-second Win10x64 boots, and every time I log onto my wife's box I think something's wrong with the boot drive (for a few seconds)...;) Obviously, there are some major differences between the Samsung SSDs and most other SSDs...or are there?

3. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I think the Samsungs are pretty good. I believe it is worth updating their firmware as there were some reported slow down issues over time/use which are meant to have been fixed.

I've actually just fitted both my father's laptops with 500GB 850 EVO drives. So far he is Very Happy with the change. (I did tell him to check with me before buying a new laptop (several times), but he can't resist a "good deal" lol)

Am also trying to buy one for myself to replace my OCZ Vertex 4 256GB. Overall I was very happy with it until recently... I visited my father, set up my PC & booted to windows and it hung... :s

It had in that moment reverted to a RAW state and lost all partition info. Thankfully I managed to use EaseUS free trial to recover all my important data. (I'd just changed almost all my passwords and the spreadsheet was on the drive - nearly lost EveryThing!!!)
    - I do backup, but had not had time and never worried about my SSD's reliability before.

I've since reset the SSD's NAND with using their Secure Erase. (not successfully updated the firmware - won't let me so far which is a bit worrying) Re-quick formatted and used flawlessly so far... touch wood.

Should also have my own 500GB Samsung by now... except the last two ebayers I bought from turned out bad (and one when buying for my father):

- 1st refunded 500GB 850 EVO due to their account being hacked and someone selling non-existant SSDs with it (why, paypal won't let them keep the money..???)

- 2nd bought a New Other (no packaging) Samsung 512GB 850 Pro... received a 512GB 840 Pro with Total Host Writes : 6142GB and Power On Hours : 7462 Hardly New -.-"

- 3rd Just after buying/paying for a New Samsung 850 500Gb EVO the sellers ebay account was suspended and ebay told me "Sale should be np wait for it to arrive". Then a day or so later ebay messaged me and told me not to touch the guy with a bargepole + the seller does not respond to my messages lol

So waiting for 2 refunds atm :/

Yes I still Love SSDs <3 lol

4. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Too easy...

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hahaaaa

6. Catroqui

Catroqui Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080/1080 Ti
    Epic! LOL

7. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    samsung indeed great performer ssd even though they can get slight slowdown overtime that nothing to worry about

but i still root intel for their reliability, performance wise they wont be as good as samsungs, but for os drive, i prefer reliability that perform stable

not saying that samsung ssd not stable, but i hear samsung ssd crash/bsod etc. more than intel ssd

8. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:

I personally don't recommend the EVO series. The firmware fix wasn't a real fix, but a temporary "refresh" algorithm to rewrite old data. It was also only applied to the retail EVO series and none of the OEM/vanilla 840 drives.

9. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Interesting, I'd got that feeling somewhat from some comments I'd seen around, but honestly thought they'd have sorted it by now. (partly why I put it in the "meant to be fixed" - being a little hopeful I guess + trusting in Samsung)
    - interesting about the 840 thing there :(

I've not had time to dig into SSD reviews they way I like to this time round... which would be best recommended atm in the 500GB size?

10. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Well you generally can't go wrong with Intel SSDs, even if they tend to be more expensive. Hardly heard bad things about them.
    I own a Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB, it's fitted on my laptop and it's looking solid. My brother has one as well, same story.
    My other laptop (will give the other one away to my mother) has an ADATA 240GB SSD, it seems to work really well but it's only 2 months old so I cannot comment on performance over time.
    My desktop still has an old Corsair Force 3 SSD 60GB, it's 4 years old. It seems to have degraded quite badly but I can't be sure of this until I format it, reinstall OS + drivers. I have the feeling that the Intel Rapid Storage stuff isn't working properly. Keep in mind, this SSD is part of the first generations of SSDs where reliability was just getting addressed. Nonetheless, it works quite well.

11. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    To be honest, IMO the best all around SSD is still the 850 Pro. It is MLC so it shouldn't have an issue like the TLC EVOs. They are also extremely popular and seem to be working just fine (and a very long warranty). Even though I was affected with my laptop having one of the TLC drives, I might still pick up a Pro series due to performance.
    Otherwise, the MX/BX series from Crucial is also good if you want a large drive on a tighter budget, but they aren't as fast and have a shorter 3 year warranty. I have a few of them in company workstations and they have been solid so far, but there has been posts on a few minor issues that were or weren't resolved via new firmware (I haven't checked since I don't have any issues with them). Intel doesn't really have a competitive client drive anymore, but I am still running a 530 flawlessly as a system drive. I feel that SSDs have mostly reached the point where they are fast enough that the differences between them are trivial unless you are using professional/server applications that really stress the IO system. Reliability is more important.

12. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Good call, I've been noticing Intel getting more and more recommendations over the last few years. Time to give them another look!

Will check out some reviews of the newer Intel and those 850 Pro drives. Should keep me happy (and have enough room for the huge games these days) until I do a complete system upgrade some time next year. - looking forward to a good SSD next gen jump at that point!

Thanks for the tips :)