Trying to use an old CRT monitor with new graphics card

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by codyg, Jun 29, 2015.

1. codyg

codyg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7700
    First of all I cant search the forums, it just stalls at this webpage, all blank screen.. tried on both chrome and firefox.

So I am trying to play the video game cs:go on an old crt monitor. It skips every now and then though. After some research I learned that new video card drivers do not support CRT monitors. Is this true? If so is there a way to either use custom drivers or old drivers to fix the issue. I have a Radeon HD 7700 with the latest drivers (not the beta recently released). If the drivers arnt the problem then does anyone know what could be causing the issue. It happens ever minute or so. It lags to stop, then starts all the sudden again in the game. Im running windows 8.1. Thanks for your help :)

2. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    i dont understand what you're seeing, what do you mean it lags?? freezing or low framerate? i dont see how either of those have to do with the CRT

3. thehandi

thehandi New Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970 4gb
    Absolutely not true. I've been running an NEC MultiSync FE2111sb CRT initially on an EVGA GTX650Ti a couple years ago, then upgraded to an EVGA GTX760 2gb last year.

Runs desktop resolution 1280x960@110hz smooth, and ingame fullscreen 1024x768@135hz even smoother. Other than adding -nogammaramp as a CS:GO launch option to force Nvidia Control Panel color settings and the -freq 135 for refresh rate, not a single hiccup.

4. codyg

codyg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7700
    well i switched to a CRT from LCD and the game started skipping, like completely frozen, then all the sudden the game moves again and im usually dead by then, but I changed some graphic settings and it appears to have fixed it, no sure what the issue was, or maybe it was some sort of coincidence and the CRT just seemed like the cause,

Promblem solved for now
    Thx

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    make sure you have nothing but the game running .. close all unnecessary programs.

sounds more like bad network more than the pc itself .. are you using wireless?

6. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Could be you changed more than just the resolution when connecting that monitor, or the games detected the "new" monitor and created different settings compared to the old situation.

Anyway, games support certain screen resolutions, and crt ones are still there, even in windows desktop. But certainly in any amd driver.
    Whether it's a crt or 4:3/5:4 flatscreen doesn't matter either.

7. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    sometimes this will happen when the game and the GPU can output data faster than the CRT can keep up with drawing the image to screen in which case turning on VSYNC should help

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I have Legendary Mitsu SB2070 22" CRT -> no one can mach Gamut or colour pallette in that Baby.... I will change it but only for 30" OLED 4-5k :D
    I Have smooth gameplay, no lags, stutter or other LCD siknesses...
    But if you have CRT you can disable in Registry some values (5-12FPS gain here) ->

PP_MCLKStutterModeThreshold = 1000 (4096)
    and
    StutterMode = 0