Need help modifying inf for GTX 980 TI + 347.88/350.12 Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by schwat, Jun 24, 2015.

1. schwat

schwat Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    I apologize if there is already a thread about this but I searched and the only one I could find was for Windows 10.

I'm trying to find out what is the correct string to use for GTX 980 TI with either 347.88 or 350.12 in Windows 8.1 specifically.

The main point of confusion I'm having is in regards to the 2nd string required for modding the nv_dispi.inf file to get the driver to work. The rest of the string seems to remain constant across drivers.

First string that goes under [Strings] section should be:
    NVIDIA_DEV.17C8 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti"

However I've seen conflicting information about what to use for the second string that goes under the "NTamd64.6.3 section for Windows 8.1. The part that seems to change is the "= Section###" part. How do you determine the correct section # to use?

So far I've seen the following strings suggested:
    %NVIDIA_DEV.17C8% = Section043, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8

%NVIDIA_DEV.17C8% = Section031, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8

%NVIDIA_DEV.17C8% = Section034, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8

If someone could please explain this to me I'd be very grateful. Or if someone could post a working modified nv_dispi.inf file for either 347.88 or 350.12 for windows 8.1 & GTX 980 TI you would be my hero.

Again, I apologize if this is a stupid question but I have done a lot of searching and just don't seem to be able to figure this out on my own.

Thanks!

Edit: Just to show that it is apparently possible to do, this guy here on guru3d posted picture proof & even a 3dMark run with a GTX 980 Ti on 350.12: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5104710&postcount=216

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  2. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Won't work you can't mod a driver .inf file if the driver has no support for the GTX 980 Ti card. I attempted the same thing and the driver installer would attempt installation but fail everytime. Tried it in normal and safe mode, also just tried to force the driver install. I got it to install once on 350.12 but after rebooting the card showed an error a driver error.

Just putting the device strings into an .inf file doesn't magically add support for that graphics card. Both the drivers you listed were released before the card was available.

Unfortuanely we are stuck with only 2 drivers that support the 980 Ti thus far:

Basically anything released after the 353.06 driver will support the GTX 980 Ti and can be .inf modded. Anything older than that will not work.

3. schwat

schwat Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    What would be the point of modding an inf file if the card is already supported for that driver?

This guy here on guru3d got GTX 980 Ti working with 350.12 with picture proof. He even posted a 3dMark run that shows it working with 350.12:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5104710&postcount=216

Also these guys got 347.88 working with a 980 Ti for windows 10: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/39fba2/980_ti_win10_success_kind_of/

The part I just can't figure out is if the string to use for windows 8.1 would be the same as they used for Windows 10.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  4. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah i dunno then... I tried modifying the .inf with no success. Hopefully someone can do it.

My GTX980Ti is basically useless on the current drivers crashes usually after 20 mins.

5. schwat

schwat Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Yeah, I currently have a 980 & I can't use anything newer than 350.12 with it. Nonstop crashes & TDRs at desktop, google chrome, in games you name it. 350.12 & 347.88 work with 0 issues though.

Just finished the step-up queue with EVGA to swap out my 980 for a 980 Ti and I'm pretty worried about it which is why I'm trying to get this part sorted out before hand.

The fact that Nvidia hasn't been able to sort this out yet is pretty unbelievable. When you spend $500-700 on a piece of hardware it's not unreasonable to expect it to actually work without jumping through hoops & modifying drivers manually.

If I have any luck I'll let you know.

6. Kishkumen32

Kishkumen32 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB
    Disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome has helped stop the TDRs with Chrome, and enabling KBoost for games have made things stable there as well.

It's a temporary workaround until Nvidia can fix their driver mess...

7. Predator BG

Predator BG Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti ZT-90501-10P/6GB
    I apologize for my bad English. To try and tell me the result. Is load driver!
    link: nv_dispi:)

8. schwat

schwat Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Awesome, thank you! My 980 Ti should be here soon & I will let you know if it works.

Looking through the inf it looks like the correct line should be:

%NVIDIA_DEV.17C8% = Section146, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8

The section # looks like it should just match the other 900 series cards in the driver.

For example the Titan X is
    %NVIDIA_DEV.17C2% = Section146, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C2

Thanks again, very much appreciated!

9. Predator BG

Predator BG Guest

GPU:
    I will be here. :)

10. Tbonesan

Tbonesan Guest

GPU:
    980ti
    Hi there champion. I just registered an account to say your modded file works.
    Thanks so much!!

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR Window 8/8.1 users.

You need to reboot and Disable DSE (Driver Signature Enforcement)

You also may need to override (or mod) "ListDevices.txt" in the main 350.12 folder with a newer one that has 980ti in there.
    I just used 353.06's - easy.

Working and Happy

Nvidia.. you bunch of morons.

11. schwat

schwat Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Awesome! I'm so glad to hear this is working since I won't get to test it out myself for about another week.

And thanks for the tip about ListDevices.txt, I was unaware of that part.

12. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I tested it this morning, it installs just fine once I turned off the Signed Driver Enforcement. Weird thing is in the Nvidia Control Panel it just shows "Display Device" rather than the actual video card model. GPU-Z shows the model correctly however. lol

I didn't have a chance to test any games before work, but I'll see if there is any improvements tonight. Hopefully the TDR errors are gone and GTA5 runs a lot better.

13. Tbonesan

Tbonesan Guest

GPU:
    980ti
    Yeah.. no TDR errors to speak of for me so far. Beautiful!!!!

14. Predator BG

Predator BG Guest

GPU:

I am glad.:cheers::)

15. LBJM

LBJM Guest

GPU:
    latest green team
    I used

%NVIDIA_DEV.17C8% = Section146, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8

In the post stated above, but it would not work till I removed all other lines that referenced Section146 in the inf. I did a test run with the witcher 3 and so far it didn't crash.

16. thesystmwilfail

thesystmwilfail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980 ti SC
    Hello
    I know this thread is getting old now, but I would like to say thanks, and great job to tbonesan and predator =)
    I have installed the modded 350.12 drivers for my 980 ti, and they work perfectly.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  17. OmarWazzan

OmarWazzan Guest

GPU:
    980TI
    Dead Link

Hi, I know this thread is very old, but does anyone have a working link to that .inf? Current url is dead.