Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Fury has reigned upon us and as such we review the new Radeon R9 Fury X from AMD. We will benchmark, test and analyze the card in-depth.  There's a lot to tell about this 4096 shader processor based...

Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

2. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Dem temps

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Underwhelmed. Thoroughly.

It's a good card at the right price, but I was really hoping AMD would steal away the performance crown. AS it is, this isn't a whole lot better than a 290X. That's sad.

Nice review HH. :)

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Who will play at 4k when the fps is still so low ? I certainly would not.
    I hope for amd's sake voltage will be unlocked soon so we can have some real OC results instead of with the stock voltage ones. And that it will beat 980ti.
    ATM im certainly not impressed , i had hoped for higher numbers tbh.
    I guess its a nice stepup from the 290x though if you are just into AMD.

5. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Well...

....that was underwhelming

....to all those who were on the hype train, thinking it would derail a 980 Ti...Titan X and were already celebrating, THIS is why you should wait.

I'll admit to feeling a bit smug.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, idk. Maxwell launched what, 8 months ago? AMD has watercooling + HBM + 8 months of architecture design and this is it? I expected it to at least best the Titan X by 10-15% @ 4K in most benchmarks. It's not a bad card for the price, but just doesn't live up to the hype.

7. marcoloves360

marcoloves360 Guest

GPU:
    S 290x Vapor-X @1090/1475
    awesome looks like is the king for 4k, wuth better drivers could get even better, i got my 290x last week this is still to expensive to me, im very happy with it. Im happy for amd being on the race again :)

8. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    great review!
    excellent temps idle/load!

but my point is, if 980ti is 675$, fury X should be 600$ why? because 980ti overclocked alot better.

will wait a couple of days before i finally decide.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thanks HH. Now we need some victim who will test it on Windows 10 with one of low overhead drivers, as on 1080p AMD's drivers sux for such powerful card.
    If I can order one here and they have it in 980Ti price, I may get it at end of week before going for vacation.

Ordered: Will have it by tomorrow. (means I am that W10 victim testing there)

Btw, at price of cheapest reference 980Ti.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  10. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Well I'm going to enjoy a nice slow read of this with a big glass of wine and some munchies :)

But come on AMD, core volts should be unlocked at this point after the bragging about the power subsystem's delivery capability being an overclockers Dream!

11. FarEast

FarEast Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming
    underwhelming but we'll see its true potential with upcoming drivers and DX12..definitely a grab for 4k gamers tho

12. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    nice review HH as usual

Interesting review I was hoping for slightly more the fury X is good almost awesome in places (temps) but I was expecting slightly more FPS for loyal AMD fans it is a nice upgrade. But as a GPU user with no loyalty NVidia is still King I was hoping Fury X would change that. My upgrade path at the moment remains NVidia.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    That driver overhead... :D for 4K it is a no brainer imo being slightly faster then 980 ti and closing in or passing tx few times. For lower not as long as the driver overhead is that massive... The performance is there on the hardware it would match 980 ti but it ain't getting out that performance.

Now I play on 1200p which would make this card a silly buy coming from 290x.

14. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So all that marketing and silly "It's coming" teasers for something underwhelming.
    Better off grabbing a 980Ti and overclocking the hell out of it, it's a no brainer. Can easily go 1400+mhz with great OC scaling.

Where's the guys that claimed this thing will best the TitanX by 45%? Some even went bolder with up to 200%.

Thanks for the review HH, very thorough as always.

15. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    100% agree. Underwhelmed (and glad I chose 980 Ti).

Those guy's who were posting those leaks, on the hype train before actual reviews - THIS is why you should wait for official reviews.

It's not a bad card - but its no Titan X/980 Ti Beater. Equal / a tiny bit less at 4k, not great at lower.

16. stdavidchen

stdavidchen Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    It is a great product in terms of temp/length/led/price. However, no impressed by its performance. I think I would stick to my 290.

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Thank you very much for Review!

Well... it could be time to go green.

Correct me if I am wrong, but 970 is still the best cost performance (reasonable) card on the market for 1440 gaming.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    How can you expect to beat Titan X that costs 1,000$? It wasnt meant to go that far. Card shows really good performance at 4k but i kinda expected more at lower resolutions.

We'll see how the pricing will go in the rest of the world not only US.

Let's hope few upcoming drivers will fix that. All in all nice review HH.

19. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I was hoping for a lower price, £650 is a bit steep. I would still go for 980ti if i had to pick, but its a hard decision!

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    With the Fury X already being liquid cooled is a great touch, but it's going to cause headaches if you already have a liquid cooled CPU push/pull fans installed. Great review by the way.