Nvidia DSR actually smoother?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ESlik, May 28, 2015.

1. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I don't know if it's my imagination or what but when I enable DSR X2 I get a better image AND my games seem to run a LOT smoother. I run DSR at x2. I see no real difference in image quality going any higher so I leave it there. My monitor is the curved LG 34" 21.9 the default resolution is 3440x1440 and with DSR x2 I'm at 4587x2036. While not a crazy high resolution,it is substantial. Am I right? Anyone here notice better performance etc. with DSR? Is it some kind of placebo thingy I'm getting? Thanks all. Take care..

2. zoomer-fodder

zoomer-fodder Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Poseidon 780 SLI
    DSR works like SSAA with some gaus filter, and no more.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    In my experience differences in image quality will vary depending on the game tested.

I usually run it at 2.25 and definetly don't get smoother performance.

It could be the fact your system is capable of very high framerates at native res, so a lower but more consistent framerate is smoother and easier on the eyes.

4. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Despite all the benches and arguments, for me DSR performance is MUCH better than using typical AA in games and looks much much better. DSR + 2xAA or FXAA is just icing on the cake.

I've tried numerous variations of AA, DSR, DSR+AA, and etc across multiple games. DSR just looks and runs better.

I would assume to say it's just very system/monitor specific. I'm using a big 42inch HDTV as my monitor, so pixel to screen ratio of my monitor probably just loves the DSR filters... I dunno.

5. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I played IL 2 1946,Arma 3,Borderlands TPS,Metro LL Redux fully maxed and ALL of them look better and run better. I don't know what the hell's doing it,but I ain't complaining.

6. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I have a theory for your case.

The games seen to run smoother because when using DSR you are forcing the cards to run full clocks all the time, so no clock variations = no drops in performance.

Could be wrong though...