MSI Afterburner 4.1.1 (2015-05-28)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, May 28, 2015.

1. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Hi guys, the Afterburner 4.1.1 is ready for you to download. this version supports the control of NVIDIA and AMD graphics card, if you get the card, you may try to play it.

Changes list includes:
    • Added core voltage control for reference design NVIDIA GM200 series graphics cards
    • Now core voltage control via NCP4206 is unlocked on reference design NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN series graphics cards when extended MSI voltage control mode is selected
    • Added new third party voltage control mode. Traditionally we provided voltage control on reference design graphics cards or on custom design MSI graphics cards only. However, rich set of PWM controllers supported by MSI Afterburner core allows implementing voltage control on many third party custom design graphics cards as well. With this version we introduce original concept of user extendable voltage control mode, allowing experienced users to get access to programmable MSI Afterburner core, get access to full range of voltage controllers supported by it, create custom hardware database and program MSI Afterburner to provide voltage control on many third party custom design graphics cards. Third party voltage control mode requires populating and downloading third party hardware database, please visit MSI Afterburner discussion forums to help adding your custom design cards to the database or download the latest database version
    • Fixed bug causing application to crash when “layered with alpha” skin composition mode is selected, application is minimized to system tray and properties are accessed via the context menu of detached monitoring window
    • Improved hardware monitoring module:
    o Added negative temperatures monitoring support for NVIDIA GPUs
    o Fixed extended CPU family and model detection to address issue with incorrect maximum junction temperature (Tjmax) detection on some Intel CPUs
    o Now power users can override the maximum junction temperature (Tjmax) via configuration file if necessary
    o Added temperature monitoring for AMD Family 10h – 16h micro architecture CPUs. Please take a note that this functionality is currently experimental and disabled by default. Power users can unlock AMD CPU temperature monitoring via [CPUHAL] section in the configuration file if necessary
    o Added correction formulas support. Now you can apply a custom correction formula to any data source in hardware monitoring module. Correction formulas can be useful to apply temperature offsets to custom temperature sensors if necessary (e.g. set formula to “x+20”), display effective memory clock instead of base clock (e.g. set formula to “x*2”), display per-GPU memory usage instead of total memory usage on Crossfire systems (e.g. set formula to “x/2”) and many, many more
    o Hardware Monitoring Log file format has been upgraded to v1.5 to provide correction formulas support
    o Added “CPU load” graph to multicore CPUs. The graph is displaying the average CPU load across all CPU cores
    o Added “CPU temperature” graph to thermal monitoring capable multicore CPUs. The graph is displaying the maximum CPU temperature across all CPU cores
    o Added connection retry counter to Logitech LCD monitoring module. Now MSI Afterburner stop trying to connect to Logitech LCD after some failed connection attempts instead of trying to connect to it in endless loop. Retry counter implementation is aimed to bypass the problem with GDI resource leak in Logitech LCD API, which could cause application to crash after some period of time when output to LCD is enabled on the system with no Logitech LCD connected to it
    o Added dynamic output format for min / max limits displayed on the graphs. Now MSI Afterburner uses integer output format for limits if the range between minimum and maximum limits is greater than 1, otherwise it uses floating point output format
    • Improved skin engine:
    o Added support for altered USF skins obfuscation scheme used in most recent versions of third party overclocking tools
    o Drastically reduced load time for obfuscated USF skin files (*.UXF). Now MSI Afterburner open obfuscated skin files roughly 10 times faster than the previous version
    o Reduced skinned GUI initialization time due to cached access to the skin header
    o Added support for negative GPU temperature indicators in all skins supplied with application
    • Multimedia timer resolution is no longer hardcoded to 10ms. The resolution is now adjustable and set to 16ms by default to reduce timer interrupts related CPU load at the cost of losing some smoothness in GUI animation. Power users can override timer resolution via the configuration file if necessary
    • Updated kernel mode driver provides new IOCTLs for safe access to PCI bus required for temperature monitoring on AMD CPUs

Download link:
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

2. masteratarms

masteratarms Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 56
    Hi I have a 6850 which MSI afterburner controls its fan speed but doesn't allow voltage change.

I have the direct cu but its the direct cu II bios I have on it, should I change back?
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...us&model=HD+6850&interface=&memType=&memSize=

Asus smart doctor can change the voltage however it has a known problem with BF3 between rounds. I've looked at trying a bios mod but I can't see any option to change in RBE radeon bios editor.

Its got elipda memory not hynix which the 6870 has, with no elipda timings.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    4.1.1 has completely removed the need for me to be running CoreTemp along side Afterburner, great to have an AIO for CPU and GPU now

4. Voodooman

Voodooman Member

GPU:
    Zotac Geforce GTX 680 4gb
    And where is this third party hardware database?

I would like to control voltage for Zotac Geforce GTX 680 4gb which has Richtek RT8802A voltage controller.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

First, read this thread. Second, you may forget about it with such card and voltage controller. It lack I2C programmability support.

6. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Love the AMD Temp support any plans to add dynamic colours for temperatures in the tray icons?

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I been waiting for this for while, though I just realized the cpu temp (all cores)
    is incorrect

Aida64 and HWmonitor, Motherboards own temp monitor on the MB it self all show 40c, while AB show 55c, my guess it is reading the core # temps cpu temps, cause core temps are about 55c according to HWmonitor/Aida64/AB etc etc, which from my understanding the core temps always show higher then the cpu temp as whole.

if it intended to work like this or not, it dont mater much to me, just happy is show cpu temps and cpu usage as a whole

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Core Temps are the important ones, the CPU temp doesn't really matter as the Core temps will always be higher, they are the workers, CPU temp is the surrounding metal

9. Unwinder

it is indended and release notes explains why and tells what is "CPU temp" graph exactly.

10. Unwinder

No plans. Barchart mode for temps and loads is better way to visualize it.

11. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Awesome work regarding delayed injection in RTSS 6.3.0 :)
    In case someone is scratching their head right about now im referring to this in RTSS release notes:
    As far as i can see enabling it is pretty easy - just add the EXE file of the game to RTSS profiles and enable Stealth mode for it.

I tested it and it certainly works for Origin. Finally i can have both RTSS OSD and Origin OSD working. I cannot describe what a pain it was until now to ALT+TAB out of the game every time someone sent me a chat message or i wanted to invite a friend to join my hosted game.

So again kudos to Unwinder for adding such a useful feature.

12. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    the last 2 versions of MSI afterburner are just not loading and saving my crossfire settings at all.
    Every time I boot up I have to load the profiles manually, and yes I have all the right settings on..

I think this started happening when I swtiched to using Win 8.1,never had an issue with afterburner while I was using WIn 7

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Im aware of that but if went off that temp i would be paranoid. just like i aware "cpu temp" shows the max temp of the cores i dont go by that i never have.

If i wanted to see cpu "core" temps I would use the "core" temp osd and not the "cpu" temp

Likes I said it dont mater to seeing as I been going by the temps my MB tells me and what AIDA64/HWmonitor which is cpu temp not the core temps since forever its preference thing.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  14. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    I find the show cpu temp perfectly enough for me......nice not having to use additional apps

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  15. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Thanks for the suggestion sadly I like to see number values any chance that idea could sneak on to the to-do list for the future?

16. Unwinder

Don't find it useful, sorry.

17. basco

basco Guest

GPU:
    560tfII
    like always thank you very much for your time+work Unwinder.
    thank you too msi-afterburner.

18. Unwinder

19. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    interesting defines it pretty well....
    Something different compared to most other skins.

20. Unwinder

Yep, that's what I absolutely like - when designer/developer start thinking in different dimension and free his mind from already existing concepts.

It is interesting to peek in the past and look at very first USF skins for RT-based apps, created about 10 years ago. This one was the first tool I created for vendors: HIS iTurbo v1.x, which was launched in 2004. Actually the concept of dial-styled indicators is the only recognizable concept design concept left in current MSI AB USF skins since that time:

[​IMG]