Windows 10 build 10125: New icons, UI changes and more

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 26, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Can you decide what appears in the "All Apps" menu now and what doesn't and sort entries in the "All Apps" menu in folders and subfolders yet?

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    So hate the new UI compared to Windows 7 Aero.

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The recent changes look great! They can ship it now.

All apps shows all apps sorted alphabetically.
    The main Start Menu allows you pinning, grouping, and ordering.

Last edited: May 26, 2015

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You can download it now, personally I'd prefer them to fix it before shipping it lol

6. djm67

djm67 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Hasn't happened in Australia yet

Still on build 10122

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    That start menu is still just laughable, why does MS even bother..
    Don't like that they made the apps with white/grey background schemes either.
    But going Windows 10 regardless, will mod the **** out of it though.

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Hm can we switch back to the fullscreen start menu?

I mean I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to the old start menu, not when I have so much space in the metro interface. The Debian default GUI's 'start menu' also does something similar and I think it's brilliant. And I accepted the metro interface easily. It's like having 2 desktops worth of shortcuts.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    10125 was leaked, it's not through Insiders updates yet

10. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You can resize the menu, or clock the arrow in top-right corner to toggle full screen mode. It's not exactly the same as in 8, as there's a list of apps to the left, but it does the job.

11. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    It barely does the job, the current implementation of the full screen start menu in Windows 10 is way worse than Windows 8 let alone Windows 8.1 - its pretty terrible.

The all apps list is a joke in how its setup right now (tiny list at the side in W10 instead of a big full screen section as in 8.1) and has terrible button placement (hamburger menu at the top of the screen, all apps at the bottom), the way in which tiles are spaced/scrolled through is not very good (so much wasted space), you are forced to full screen everything once its in tablet mode (i love that in Windows 8.1 you aren't forced into this unless you want it - you can choose to not run something in this mode).

Right now all focus is on fixing the Start menu in desktop mode and it really shows, for someone like me (someone who actually likes the modern UI in Windows 8.1) the current setup on Windows 10 is horrible.

Honestly if it doesn't change i would much rather stick with Windows 8.1 or just use the desktop start menu in Windows 10 (no way would i use the current full screen mode in it) - I like the Windows 10 start menu setup, i hate the Windows 10 start screen setup.

12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it doesn't look the same but it is really a good one (despite i prefer classical UI) it look like W8 but this time it is usable with a mouse (a bit like if W8 was "canada dry" and W10 is the beer lol).

the only thing i regret is the flat 80' look (btw if you like clean simple UI M$ can look on xfce... simple but cute and modern... flat is like edge design on car everyone do it but after a decade it look soooo... obsolete)

yes since 1st release (as W8.1 if you have it)

not yet lot of small but enoying bug are still in... i hope M$ will not do the same mistake than WHate (oups W8 lol)

13. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    That ugly recycle bin icon...

They should make a ModernUI style flat icon.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I think the start is a step down from Windows 8. Too many people, for whatever reason, like having the start menu confined to a small box. There is literally not a single use case I can think of when I need to see the start menu and the desktop behind it. How it is currently in 10 makes no sense in full screen. It's like a sliver on the side, how is that useful in anyway?

That being said the fix is simple, in the expanded window just allow the "All Apps" portion to be expandable and after a certain size just draw them as tiles similar to Windows 8. Would be better for touch and imo just better in general.

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Aero looks horrid tbh. I like the clean slate look of w8.1 and forwards. Now they should put the start screen back as the way it was in 8.1 or at least the all apps to be expandable. The start menu seems decent but the fullscreen mode seems like utter crap now.

16. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I agree, if you click the desktop while the start menu is open it's gonna close anyway (unless they changed it in 10). Now that we saw the advantages of the full screen start (metro interface) it's hard to move back.

17. SHOCKTRUPPEN

SHOCKTRUPPEN Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 Strix
    w10

Just download a screen that you like and use that. God knows no one uses windows ground settings anyway. Why all the hub bub about w-10 when you can change your puter to show anal warts popping at start up if that's your thing, or maybe a video of a chronic whiner complaining about windows this and windows that and have his head ripped off by a Mortal Combat character at start up, and then a picture of that whiner in a tutu pointing at what ever folder you need to open as the regular desktop? No need to use w-10 shell, so no need to caw about at nauseam.:puke2:

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    10074 was OK for me, Now I have 10122, Driver crashes like 3 times a day on random and basically in under a minute if I run HW accelerated flash in firefox + Open CCC and click in its menus.
    10074 did not have that issue. So, time to move to next build. But I certainly starting to hate W10 as they include too much clicking to get anywhere.
    Like:
    Desktop>Display Settings>Advanced Display options>Display Adapter Properties>List All Modes
    (to actually change resolution and refresh rate of screen, as those menus leading there are worthless)

And fact that Control Panel no longer have "Windows Update" and one has to get to it via start menu is annoying as hell.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Settings is the new control panel, and WU is there just like the old classic control panel

[​IMG]

20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    don't start trolling... you have both UI, tablet ModernUI and/or the one on the screen capture.

i know it because i use the tablet looking full screen on my HTPC