Witcher 3 Announcement From CD Projekt Red

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, May 15, 2015.

1. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know of the recent announcement made by the CD Projekt Red team regarding AMD Radeon performance on the up and coming title, The Witcher 3.

[​IMG]

Source: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35278-Nvida-Hair-Works?p=1658427&viewfull=1#post1658427

2. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    AMD release a new driver for this game ?

pd: i don't care nvidia effects .

3. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I was expecting that.
    I think the same happened to Tomb Raider with TressFX to nvidia.

The only thing i ask is a playable game on release

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    PR talk leaves us in limbo as to what is the real reason that HairWorks can not be optimized:

1. Literally CAN NOT be optimized. It'such a hard task, that it's unsolvable. If God himself decided to give it a try, he could not do it.
    2. Realistically it can not be optimized with current CDproject and AMD resources. There are more important issues to squash.
    3. There is an internal contract between CDproject and Nvidia, and it prevents CDproject from optimizing HairWorks for AMD (similarly like AMD preventing TressFX 2 in Lichdome: Battlemage for Nvidia(?))

add if you think of any other however remotely (but still) possible reason.

oh and:

4. Much bla-bla about nothing. Turns out Hairworks performs fine on AMD.

5. mtdew332

mtdew332 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    That is not entirely true.
    AMD didn't lock Nvidia out of optimizing for TressFX.

Of course on Tomb Raider launch, TressFX was already fully optimized for AMD hardware since the title was an AMD Gaming Evolved title, and AMD worked with the Devs before release to ensure the game/TressFX was optimized for AMD hardware upon release.

But after launch Nvidia was free to work with AMDs TressFX code and optimize it for their hardware.
    And sure enough Nvidia had TressFX optimized and running just fine on their hardware within a few weeks after the games launch.

But with Nvidia Hairworks / Gameworks , AMD can NEVER optimize the code for their hardware because Nvidia doesn't allow AMD to see the code.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    @AMDmatt,
    No big deal to us AMD users considering even Nvidia states that it takes at least a GTX 980 to run with all gameworks features on even @ 1080p on it's own hardware.

I'm sure most AMD gamers have no issues having to disable Hairworks which apparently isn't even optimized all that well for Nvidias own hardware.
    Or GameWorks\HairWorks is simply "not fully optimized for best performance" on purpose to help push sales of Nvidias higher end GPUs and make sure HairWorks/GameWorks runs horrible on any AMD hardware.... however you choose to look at it I guess.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  6. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    AMD is unable to optimise any GameWorks code period, and in most cases neither is the developer. This is just confirmation of that, from the horses mouth.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Then how come that every single Gameworks game that I own works beautifully?

How do you explain the fact that Gameworks games and its software components frequently perform bad on AMD at release, yet fine some time after?

Are you saying that's a matter of PURE LUCK, and not the result of AMD's efforts? Because "AMD is unable to optimise any GameWorks period"

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    GameWorks game or GameWorks settings?

9. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    Amd is working in a new driver for this game or expect a horrible performance like project cars ?

10. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    We can improve overall performance in a title that uses GameWorks, but we cannot optimise GameWorks code or effects to perform optimally on AMD hardware.

The reason for me posting this was to inform our customers of the announcement made by the CD Projekt Red team, in order to set expectations accordingly.

11. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    TressFX is Open Source, uses standard APIs (DirectX and DirectCompute), and runs perfectly fine on NVidia GPUs (at least it did the last time I checked).

12. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    nvidia gameworks + no new amd drivers = unplayable game for amd owners again .

13. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I love my 290 but it seems Nvidia has pc gaming in its pocket, guess I'll have to move back to nvidia to get the full experience.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I fail to see the reason for your tone (first "period", and now this defensive statement)
    My original comment about PR talk was aimed at CDproject, and them not explaining why "this feature cannot be optimized for AMD". Not at you and your original OP post.

But then you seem to continue in that same spirit - "AMD is unable to optimise any GameWorks code period", instead of just spelling out why they are unable.

15. Radier

Radier Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060TI 8 GB
    Since nV Admin confirmed that W3 is not CPU-intensive game AMD can waste plenty of CPU resources for their drivers overhead.....

Well done. How many more top AAA games this year can be ruined by AMD's lack of skill in making graphics drivers?

16. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Was asked in thread already, but I'll ask again: we have/or will have until 19 may a driver which is ready for this epic game? :nerd:

17. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    the problem of amd is the null policy of release a drivers of time , the last 2 years is a really big disaster to buy a amd card .

18. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Well hairworks is not, but it uses DirectCompute too and not CUDA coding.

19. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    Well, the big difference is, AMD can only see the output on the driver side, and has practically to reverse engineer everything to put any optimizations in the drivers, while Nvidia is in full control over both sides. If NVidia changes just a tiny bit in the library, every optimization in AMD drivers may blow up, and they would've to start all over again.

20. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Was expecting this really, i never ever expect Nvidia gameworks features to perform really well on AMD hardware - but thanks for the heads up anyways.

I'm more interested on how the game will perform in general on AMD hardware without the gameworks features, i mean take for example the recommended requirements for the game which are below.
    CDPR are saying to run this game at the recommended settings it needs an Nvidia GTX 770, yet for AMD they are saying you need an R9 290 - this does not bode well at all IMO.

So is Matt, any ideas how well this is going to run in general at release for AMD (please don't let it be another Project Cars)?.