How much would a new case with better airflow improve my temps?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DSparil, May 5, 2015.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I have been using the same computer case for years (CM Cavalier) and with the hardware I currently have in it, it's pretty crammed, causing poor airflow and heat pockets. Temps on my CPU often shoot upwards of 70C while gaming and using thread intensive software, and this happens even with a top end air cooler :flame:

Would a new case with better airflow dramatically help in such a situation? I wouldn't want to make the switch if there wouldn't be a big decrease in temps as it wouldn't be worth the cost.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yes, improving airflow in your case will result better temperature. I got my CM HAF 912+ for 50$. Great case, enough space for anything.

Good cable menagement and positive air pressure really helps. I'm using one 200mm fan on front and top. 140mm fans on front, side and back. 3 intake and 2 exhaust fans.

It looks similiar to this :

[​IMG]

3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Oh I definitely know better airflow would improve my temps, I just don't know how much improvement I should expect. Is up to 10C cooler reasonable to expect or would it be more realistic to see something like 3-4C in temperature drops? If I invest a fair amount, I would hope I'd get more than just a few degrees improvement...

I am checking out this case on Newegg. Looks like it should be a pretty big step up over my current, heavily outdated case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008&cm_re=corsair_case-_-11-139-008-_-Product

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hard to say what gains you could get, as we don't know how cramped and full your case is, and if it really blocks airflow that much :)

5. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Airflow is KEY.. I have 2 intakes, a huge top exhaust, 1 side intake and can tell when it's time to clean my dust filters just on temps alone.. Airflow is the ut-most importance and can change your temps pretty wildly..

6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    My current case is a small steel mid-tower with one rear 120MM exhaust and that is it. There is a small 80mm side panel fan vent, but I cannot use it because my CPU cooler is too big. I am definitely crammed in that thing and its one big heat pocket!

7. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I just wanted to follow-up on this thread to let everyone know of my final purchase and results. I ended up going with a Corsair Carbide Series 400R and it arrived yesterday! This morning I transferred everything over the new case and I could not believe the results.

At full load while heavy gaming, my temps have dropped at least 15-20C!!! I had no idea a case and proper air flow could make that significant of a difference. I used to crack 70-75C on the regular, and how I really struggle to get to 55C. It is truly incredible. Not to mention, its very nice to look at and more upgradeable :D

I got a hell of a deal on this thing too, as it was like $80 on sale with a $20 rebate card on the way. Can't lose!! Very happy with the turnout on this one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ^ I'm glad the new case helped. There is indeed a huge difference.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe good call, happy to hear you learned the benefits of air flow inside the case and everything turned out well!

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I do have some comparisons between a FD Define R4 and my current Corsair Air 540. Both have maximum number of fans installed (though the Air 540 uses new AF120s). I've noticed a GPU temp drop of about 5 degrees overall.

The Air 540 is good but perhaps not the best option for SLI since the lowest intake fan on the front doesnt really reach the bottom card but blows air above it (feeding the top card instead). The bottom card has to draw cold air from the holes in the bottom which may not be super effective.

The H110i GT on the other hand is having a field day. Air from both the middle and top frontal fans are feeding the rad with cold air and therefore I'm just running the rad fans at 850 rpm which is close to silent. CPU temps are excellent, around 55-60 degrees at most (load).

11. Blacklac

Blacklac Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB
    That's a massive temp drop! Lol. Congrats.

12. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    indeed! good for you @ op :)

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Thats good OP that you decreased your temps by as much as 20C that is awesome. I thought when I when I go to a 2 GPU setup in my Air 540 that I would swap out the 2 140MM fans for 3 120mm fans and that might get some air flowing to the bottom GPU but that might be a futile attempt because of the design of the case.

14. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ Thanks for the positive words everyone :) Indeed, I was shocked to see such huge temperature drops across the board (most importantly the CPU). It far exceeded my expectations and now I can breathe a sigh of relief, knowing all of my components are in a happier land that will lend to a longer and healthier life :pc1: lol