Microsoft reveals final name Project Spartan, call it Edge

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 4, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Very subtle,Microsoft.
    Knowing that a vast majority of users will look for that big ,bold blue e on their computer to get to the internet.
    For a guru ,it does not matter what name has ,just exactly what it does and how fast .

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    ^exactly it doesnt matter what they call it as long as its fast and functional they can call it craptastic explorer for all we care.

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It seems interesting. Hopefully it will deliver.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    In order to compete with Chrome and Firefox it needs third party add on support.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'm sure that will happen. Starting at a very small scale initially and building up to a still limited number in a few years from now. MS will likely have overbearing control over it.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That's like the opposite of what they said, they are adding chrome addon support, all chrome addons should work on the browser eventually. Granted they could go back on that, obviously, but so far they've been keeping all their promises so I dunno why they'd say that then radically change their stance.

They did say that the extension support is delayed though, till probably after launch.

8. xoroku

xoroku Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX 670 2Gb
    We've known the new name for years apparently :bonk:
    <meta http-equiv=X-UA-Compatible content="IE=Edge">

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Not a bad idea ditching IE, as it has such a bad rep that majority of people don't even use anymore.

I remember around 5 years ago everyone who I knew used IE, as they had no idea there were other options. Then Chrome got so much of a push from Google, and Firefox that gained a lot of appeal from pro users.

Now I see everyone using anything but IE.

Lets hope it's not just IE with a new skin.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Oh didnt know that. Would be a huge step forward for them if compatible with chrome addons.

11. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    U2 not available for comment...

12. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    On start up it does that "wah wah wah" thing that only "The Edge" can do... on every single one of their tracks since the 80's.

13. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    That's not a compelling reason to switch from Chrome. Why use a different browser just to use the same extensions you can already use on your previous browser? We are creatures of habit, we like the familiar and the comfortable. We don't like having to learn a whole new UI just to do the same task we can do with the familiar UI. That was the main reason Windows 8 failed as hard as it did. Microsoft better have an extraordinary marketing campaign for Windows 10 or this Edge browser is going to fail just as hard.

Oh and I'm a Firefox user, I never use Chrome if I can avoid it. Google's record on security and privacy is the deal breaker there.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It may not be a compelling reason, I never said it was, but it's definitely a nice addition. Edge brings it's own new features to the table, Cortana integration, the writing/markup thing, etc. I don't find those useful, but some might.

Regardless, I think most people ended up switching to Firefox/Chrome due to addons and speed. Both of which Edge has the edge over IE (See what I did there? ;D). In most of the world it will probably ship as the default out of box browser. Will it beat Chrome in users? Probably not, but it's definitely got a better chance than IE does and it's simply a better experience than IE, which makes it an upgrade for 13% of the world.

15. Ali-K

Ali-K Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X
    I think it's a stupid name. The should have called it Slowfail.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    My personal favorite has always been 'Internet Exploder'.

[​IMG]

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Internet Explorer did have many flaws, with countless security patches. Edge could well be very secure in comparison if it is using Chrome extensions. I presume it is built with HTML 5 in mind.

I wonder if it will have x64 support?

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  18. expo

expo Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 / 3.5GB + 0.5GB
    Wanting to do too much Microsoft ... bloatware ftw right ? Leave all the consuption crap out and I will consider your brouwser

Also, I feel no need to draw a face on a website ..

19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Hey, when you are a musical artist and you figure out your musical "signature" this is one of the main ways people identify with your music. Its one of the main factors from allowing them to stand out from the crowd. Whenever you hear that sound, you know its U2, am I right?

20. Ali-K

Ali-K Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X
    Come to think of it... Adblocker Edge was already here. Now it only needs to be Microsoft exclusive and they're set for life. A short one might i add.