Is it dead?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Savidge, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Savidge

Savidge Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 390x
    well.. looks like i might of finally fried my sandy bridge lol... i was running IBT to test stability had it OC'd to 4.8ghz @ 1.45V and it blue screened and now i cant get it to post anymore.. debug code stops at 32 and in the manual says it's a "PEI cpu initialization error."..which too me sounds like the cpu went to heaven. I don't know.. maybe somebody here knows of a fix or something?.. I've already stripped her down bare bones.. and did all the normal troubleshooting crap. my board is a GB z77x-ud4h so it does have the dual bios feature but it gives me the same debug readout no matter what bios i select.. i've reset cmos various times (on both bios). everything's been unplugged/uninstalled from the board cept bare min stuff that it needs to boot but.. no change.. i even reseated the cpu and checked it visually and it's physically fine.. but that doesn't meen anything so.. did i kill it? should i just order a second hand ivy from ebay or somewhere and be done with it? or what? thanks for the help!

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'd try the cpu in a different mobo. My bet is the cpu is fine. Although, 1.45v is fairly high. But I'd try it in a different mobo first.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    1.45v is safe as long as temps are good, been running at or near that for 4 years.

4. Savidge

Savidge Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 390x
    I dont have another 1155 board... :cry: this second rig is a fm2.. 1.45 is suppose to be fine I know.. this cpu USED to complete benchmarks oc'd to 5ghz no problem @ v1.48 but i didn't run it like that 24/7.. i normally have it at 4.6ghz @ v1.4.. but today i was having issues getting it stable @ 4.8ghz at anything under V1.5 so possibly its degraded over time? i dont know.. another idea is it could be the board and not the cpu..

....either way might just be a perfect time to grab a 1150 board and a 4690k for now and wait for skylake. a devils canyon+board seems to go for pretty cheap on newegg..

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Probably fried motherboard mosfet, its not a CPU. You can get a cheap 1155 board again...there isnt really a no point going to 4690k from 2500k at those clocks.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Tried a new PSU?

Maybe damaged the 12v rail and it can't power the CPU properly any more?