Paypal policy updates, What the hell is this madness?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by harkinsteven, Apr 24, 2015.

1. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    What the hell!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  2. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    They might have well said 'Prepare to Bend Over'...

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    they been doing that for years though, now there putting it in writing:puke2:

I have not used the for more then 7 years just like ebay cause both will bend over backwards to screw the seller over even when they show proof.

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I closed my PayPal account a couple of weeks ago. Glad I did now.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea they've officially split into two different companies now according to the email I got

So I guess they are now much more within their rights to charge twice for the same sale on ebay, scam merchants

Charged for final ebay fees, then charged again from the same company for the same sale once you receive your payment into PP

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Qustion is: "Do you provide them with content or post content?"
    Only content normal users post are:
    - name
    - address
    - credit card number
    - online code to card

Are they really asking: "Do you agree that we will either steal from you directly or allow 3rd party to do that for us?"
    It is pretty damn weird.

Edit: btw. I did not receive mail with this yet.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Why would anyone think this is an issue? For the vast majority of PayPal users this does not apply to them. If someone wants to publish content that he/she thinks may be of potential value..... THEY DO NOT HAVE TO USE PAYPAL. Simple as that. The only issue I see is that it may snare those who were not aware of these policies. Still, I would think they would be very few. Anyone capable of creating content of great potential value would probably not be the sort to be using PPAL as a transaction enabler in the first place.

Paypal is indispensable to me. Will certainly not stop using it over something that does not affect me in any way, shape or form.

8. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Paypal just called. They are claiming this phrase for their own use

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What makes PP think they have the right to own your work just for using their service to sell it though?

That's what's wrong, PP have no right over someone elses work, they are nothing but a glorified piggy bank

10. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Someone does a transaction through paypal. Paypal decides to randomly pick said transaction as part of a marketing campaign, uses screencaps. Without the clause, person whose transaction got picked sues paypal for trademark/copyright infrigement for a logo they have which shows up on the transaction (no idea how that works since IME it is all text based, though I suppose the company name might qualify in some instances).
    That is why they have the clause. Most companies have a similar clause now.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you use their service, you agree to their terms. At that point, you're giving them the right.

12. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    can someone sum up the changes? sorry i havnt been following it and i dont understand the term "content", its paypal, i have no content, Data protection act means im in charge of their content in terms of managing "me", is that what they mean?

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Most plausible explanation.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I understand you're agreeing to their terms, what I'm trying to say is, what gives them the right to even create those terms, there should be a law against terms like that, they should have absolutely no rights whatsoever over a persons work just because said person used their service to sell it

All PP are doing are moving money around, what possible madness is going through their tiny little minds, thinking they can own a persons work because they transferred money through PP, transferring money through PP has nothing whatsoever to do with ownership of the item they were selling, the item is and should always remain the owner and the buyers property, PP are nobody's - just a convenience

There needs to be a higher powered governing body that controls companies like PP and prevents them from creating terms like this - it's wrong on every single level

15. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    This isn't what it says at all, the section of the UA this applies to is to do with IP of content uploaded to Paypal for the purpose of publication, it does not give them rights over any product where Paypal is simply used to handle the transaction. For example, if Paypal ever started up a comments section or forum that you posted in then it grants them inexclusive rights to reproduce said content; ie, it is still your IP and you are only agreeing that they can reproduce it for marketing or whatever.

Sensationalist quote posted out of context by the usual suspects in order to get a reaction...

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah right, thanks, from the OP quote it sounded like they were forcing you to hand over rights to anything you sold via PP

So basically it's like Facebook, whatever you upload to FB becomes FB property, ie: Pics

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I know why I'm not using paypal.

18. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    You guys are talking like you understand what that klingon text means :confused:
    Is anyone able to translate it into english?

19. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    Pretty Common terms. I have something similar in my contracts to customers when they use my services.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I read it that way: If you upload any data to PayPal, you cease your rights to it as your 'digital' or abstract possession, and too, you agree to never want them again, and cease your right to even want your possessions back at any time. Oh, and you also state you're okay with PayPal selling your former stuff to anybody on the globe.

Yes, pretty common terms, still they can go to hell.